Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced the launch date and time for their MobileMe service. The revamped .Mac service will offer web-based email, calendar, addressbook, photo gallery and storage capabilities as well as "Push" sync services. Apple announced MobileMe at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in early June.

According to their service status update in .Mac, they detail that MobileMe will launch on the evening of July 9th:
MobileMe Launch
7/9/2008, 6pm-12am PT

As part of the MobileMe launch, http://www.mac.com will be taken offline at 6pm PT on Wednesday, July 9th.

Members will be unable to access http://www.mac.com or any .Mac services during this time with the exception of .Mac Mail accessed via a desktop application, iPhone, or iPod touch.

MobileMe will be available as soon as possible during this maintenance window.
The timing comes as little surprise as Apple must deploy MobileMe before 5am Pacific July 10th in order to accommodate the first iPhone customers in New Zealand. We also expect iTunes 7.7 to be released before this time as it is required for the iPhone 3G.

Article Link

mattbray

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Tampa, FL
Yay

I already have my aliases set up and I've told everyone that I will have a new email address by the end of the week (I'm going to use mobileMe as my primary as opposed to Gmail. I love Gmail but push email is enough to lure me away). A few times today I looked at my iPhone and thought, "Damn I wish I had push email... and contacts and calendars... How about ONE easy to use web interface? That would be freaking amazing..."

I think Apple will see a huge surge in the number of people purchasing mobileMe subscriptions. If you have an iPhone it's probably the best $99 you'll ever spend.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
Official "Mobile Me" Live 7/9 !!

This was on my .Mac home page tonight:

MobileMe Launch
7/9/2008, 6pm-12am PT

As part of the MobileMe launch, http://www.mac.com will be taken offline at 6pm PT on Wednesday, July 9th.

We are close to PUSH mail!

Brundlefly

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Lotta good it does us here in Canada.

Iphone outrageous price, tag on mobile me for $69, ontop of the overages you would have to use with a Rogers account and its too much.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I'll be buying MobileMe just for the iDisk capability. Having my two computers constantly in sync for both calendars AND all my important files would be great! Plus eventually I will get an iPhone (if Rogers ever lowers the data prices...)

albeli

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Here
I hadn't noticed so I went to look. They have it in teeny print, huh? I usually don't even scroll down that far.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I'd get mobileme IF the damn email was FREE. seriously who gets paid accounts anymore? I used to have a .mac account as my main email and when that $100 a year started seeming too steep for me and i needed a real webhost i had to drop it...and therefore lost my longtime email that started off free mind you. The fact that i lost that even haunts me to this day sometimes and i dropped it 3 years ago.:rolleyes:

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
I already have my aliases set up and I've told everyone that I will have a new email address by the end of the week (I'm going to use mobileMe as my primary as opposed to Gmail. I love Gmail but push email is enough to lure me away). A few times today I looked at my iPhone and thought, "Damn I wish I had push email... and contacts and calendars... How about ONE easy to use web interface? That would be freaking amazing..."

I think Apple will see a huge surge in the number of people purchasing mobileMe subscriptions. If you have an iPhone it's probably the best $99 you'll ever spend.

Since Gmail is free, offers IMAP and I'm assuming will have Push eventually, I'm just having my Gmail forwarded to my .Mac account and will use Gmail as my outgoing mail server on my iPhone.

PS: I was going to post the cheapest place I found .Mac (which is valid for MobileMe) for $79 for BOTH the individual and family packs from Royal Discount, but now they are up to $90 and $95. Still a good price, but the 3 family pack licenses I bought last week for $79 each was a great deal. I'm set for 3 years now.

moloukhya

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
I just bought two .Mac boxes. One was delivered as a box, and the other one I got the code emailed via eBay. Each one was about $64, Great deal if you ask me.

I just entered the second code to stack them and I got a message saying my account will auto-renew next June. Has anyone done auto-renewal using an activation code?

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Although the day is wrong, it say tuesday, the date on the calender is the 9th

just a observation.

The 9th day of the month does fall on Tuesday, just not for this July. That is the MobileMe icon, nothing more should be read into it.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
What I just don't understand what took Apple so long to roll this service out? .Mac should have been out of the game awhile ago.

knelto

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Although the day is wrong, it say tuesday, the date on the calender is the 9th

just a observation.

This year the 9th falls on a Tuesday in September and December. Another interesting, albeit unrelated, find that someone mentioned a while ago is the number on the calculator on the iPhone feature page (12.1808 or Dec 18th, 2008)

main_calculator20080609.jpg

Something involving MobileMe and iPods in September? Something completely new before Christmas?! Nah, probably just looking into things too hard...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.