Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old May 15, 2002, 01:57 PM   #1
jefhatfield
Retired

techies looking like woz or ally mc beal?

i am one of those stereotype fat silicon valley techies, butt crack showing, no tie wearing geeks (like i mentioned in another post)

as techies, or anybody who is at a computer too much, do you look more like the fat steve wozniak or the thin ally mc beal (ie- fat or thin)

and if you are thin and have a sedintary job, how do you stay that way?

ps - i used to be under 130 lbs and run a mile under six minutes
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old May 15, 2002, 02:01 PM   #2
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
I'm 37, 6'2", 190#, and in shape, play Ultimate Frisbee, run (5k under 20 minutes), and rollerblade. I go to the gym everyonce in a while as well. While I'm not in the best shape of my life, I'm still generally happy with myself.

I think it safe to say that I will never let myself get overweight. I would be miserable not being able to run fast.
Old May 15, 2002, 02:05 PM   #3
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
i'm leaning more towards ally mcbeal... i'm mostly thin, but i have this annoying little pot belly i can't get rid of... i used to be very overweight in highschool, but years of taunting and abuse at the hands of other kids gave me a brief stint with an eating disorder. that combined with smoking heavily keeps me in shape

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old May 15, 2002, 02:23 PM   #4
mischief
macrumors 68030

Talking Out of shape Jonny Depp.

I'm 6' and 160Lb. I was 140 soaking wet and in good (if not bulky) shape until I took this very desk job a year ago. Now I'm "average" weight and flabby at 160 though you'd only see a slight beer gut. I used to do 220 hurdles and I fenced in College. I'm still damn fast reflex-wise I just don't have the tone I once did.
Old May 15, 2002, 02:23 PM   #5
iGav
macrumors G3

Definitely not Ally......

I am 6'3", hmmm......I'm rugby player sized broad shouldered....... and cute little love handles........ on either side..... as I've not had time to get down the gym for awhile....... I have no idea how much I weigh..... I don't buy into that crap!!

Relatively happy with myself...... although not as fit/slim as I could be......

P.S I never let my arse hang out either......
iGav is offline   0
Old May 15, 2002, 02:24 PM   #6
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

I wouldn't go so far to say that I'm an Ally McBeal type...but I am pretty lean...

I workout 4 times a week...I do yoga when I can...I ride my mountain bike when I can...and I keep to a fairly strict diet (high proteins, low fats, low carbs, high fiber, low sugars, etc...) so it's pretty easy for me to stay slim even though I sit on my @ss 9 hours a day at work...

about 5 years ago I lost 30 lbs (I got a bit lazy my first few years out of high school ) by changing my eating habits and exercise became a big part of my life...

now I'm stronger than I've ever been & am naturally leaner than I've ever been...
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 15, 2002, 02:26 PM   #7
Hemingray
macrumors 68030

In high school I was my ideal weight for 6' (185) and had 20/20 vision. Now I'm nearsighted with glasses, and 30 pounds overweight. My initiation to geekdom. I was reckless too long about watching what I ate, so now I gotta be more careful! I also gotta start excercising more...
Hemingray is offline   0
Old May 15, 2002, 02:39 PM   #8
jefhatfield
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Hemingray
In high school I was my ideal weight for 6' (185) and had 20/20 vision. Now I'm nearsighted with glasses, and 30 pounds overweight. My initiation to geekdom. I was reckless too long about watching what I ate, so now I gotta be more careful! I also gotta start excercising more...
sounds like bill gates or steve jobs...he he
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old May 16, 2002, 05:13 AM   #9
Ensign Paris
macrumors 68000

I am not as slim as I should be, although I am a fierce Badminton and Hockey (Field not Ice) player. I have alot of power in my upper body.

I also used to cycle alot although I haven't started doing much this year due to the weather!

Ensign
Ensign Paris is offline   0
Old May 16, 2002, 05:39 AM   #10
phufball71
macrumors member

6'4 240 i started on varsity this sirng until i broke my ulna and radius(wrist/arm) bench about 275. dont have a 6-pack. but it's not flabby it's pretty hard.
Old May 16, 2002, 05:48 AM   #11
Beej
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Beej
I'm 6", 60kg (dunno what that is in your whacky non-metric system - when are you guys gunna catch up, anyway?) I play beach volleyball and run.

I'm not an ass-crack showing type of guy - I feel more comfortable in a suit and tie than in jeans and a t-shirt. I know that's a bit strange, I guess it comes from only ever seeing my dad in a suit and tie.

Please no one go all psych on me - I've just spent the last hour talking to a friend doing a psychology at Uni and she was really starting to piss me off!
Old May 16, 2002, 06:55 AM   #12
trinitishwar
macrumors member

6'1" 180#, that's 1.8 meters, 80kg to you kooky metric folk. I spend a good 7 hours a day on my a$$, but though a vigorous routine of never taking the elevator, I manage to stay fit and trim. Well, that and the crack cocaine. Seriously though, when I started working as a tech I had to start eating much more carefully. Now my diet consists mainly of veggies, roots nuts, and berries. Combine that with walking to work every day, running in the evening, and going to the gym to lift weights, and I'm am probably in the best shape that I've been in my life.
Old May 16, 2002, 06:59 AM   #13
trinitishwar
macrumors member

Heh, hey Paris, we registered at about the same time, only you actually post comments instead of just reading. 1107 - 44 = 1063. I'd say you're a little ahead of me. :P
Old May 17, 2002, 04:11 AM   #14
Ensign Paris
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by trinitishwar
Heh, hey Paris, we registered at about the same time, only you actually post comments instead of just reading. 1107 - 44 = 1063. I'd say you're a little ahead of me. :P
Hey Trin (How do I shorten that name )

Well it wont take you long to catch up (I hope) come and get in to the 1000 club

Ensign
Ensign Paris is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community