Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:56 PM   #51
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake View Post
6,865 as of last Monday, according to Wikipedia. That's quite enough for anyone...
Wow, that's scary how close I was! Yeah, that show just keeps going and going, doesn't it? (Although I'm sure many people have said the same thing about Who as well... )
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:59 PM   #52
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

They maybe ought to take Corrie off the telly for the best part of twenty years, then bring it back with a new actor playing Ken Barlow and a radically redesigned interior for the Rovers Return. That'd teach 'em.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:22 PM   #53
BlakTornado

A little off what the topic has moved onto, but I watched some old Who today that I hadn't seen in about 7 years... and I must say, they are much more entertaining than they were then

But, boy oh boy, Colin Baker was a dick. (watched R-something of the Daleks that had Colin Baker in)

Much better than how I remember it though... I love how the actors died when getting hit by Daleks! It was comic genius! haha.
BlakTornado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:11 PM   #54
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakTornado View Post
A little off what the topic has moved onto, but I watched some old Who today that I hadn't seen in about 7 years... and I must say, they are much more entertaining than they were then

But, boy oh boy, Colin Baker was a dick. (watched R-something of the Daleks that had Colin Baker in)

Much better than how I remember it though... I love how the actors died when getting hit by Daleks! It was comic genius! haha.
Yep, good stuff indeed! And yes, Colin Baker is a bastard, hence why I loved his Doctor. It's a shame the writing was so poor, he had so little to work with in that regard... if only he was allowed to portray the Doctor as he wanted to, things would have been so much better.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:52 AM   #55
Marble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shard~ View Post
Yep, good stuff indeed! And yes, Colin Baker is a bastard, hence why I loved his Doctor. It's a shame the writing was so poor, he had so little to work with in that regard... if only he was allowed to portray the Doctor as he wanted to, things would have been so much better.
Although, ironically, Revelation of the Daleks is excellently scripted. It stands out in his era by a mile.
Marble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:42 AM   #56
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
Although, ironically, Revelation of the Daleks is excellently scripted. It stands out in his era by a mile.
I'll have to watch this one again as it has been a while - thanks for the note, I'll put this on my Who to-do list. Oh wait, that sounds bad...
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:23 PM   #57
Tankgunk
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'll have to watch this one again as it has been a while - thanks for the note, I'll put this on my Who to-do list. Oh wait, that sounds bad...
Just keep that Who capitalized and that hyphen and you'll be OK. Or just go for a Who to-watch list unless you need to make a list that includes tasks other than watching, like building your own TARDIS. Wait, then you'd be a peeping tom...
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:59 PM   #58
DAC47
macrumors 6502

The BeeB shownd a new trailer for the Xmas special at "comic con"
the quality is poor you can't make out the dialogue but it looks quite good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBUTt9BQtmk
DAC47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:54 PM   #59
BlakTornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC47 View Post
The BeeB shownd a new trailer for the Xmas special at "comic con"
the quality is poor you can't make out the dialogue but it looks quite good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBUTt9BQtmk
:O

Cockney Cybermen! lol. (Sorry if I'm being over-spoiler protective!)

Looks good! Can't wait
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:22 AM   #60
~Shard~
macrumors P6

For anyone interested, here's a recent interview with Steven Moffat.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 08:12 AM   #61
BlakTornado

Quote:
For anyone interested, here's a recent interview with Steven Moffat.
:O from the pictures, he looks exactly like David Tennant! :P

But I liked how they brought up the... *ahem* "great" innovation that Russel T Davies introduced, with the families.

It seems Steven Moffat isn't too keen on it himself, which is great, because I personally couldn't stand it. It made the show too much like a Soap Opera. Especially with Martha, where the family thing was COMPLETELY unnecessary. There was no need for it in the slightest. With Rose and Donna, at least the families played a small part in the outcoming of the series.

Series 5 should be very good.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:04 AM   #62
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
:O from the pictures, he looks exactly like David Tennant! :P
Yeah, funny about that, huh?

Moffat has been interviewed in a few of the Doctor Who Confidentials, I'm sure you've seen his real face there.

Quote:
But I liked how they brought up the... *ahem* "great" innovation that Russel T Davies introduced, with the families.

It seems Steven Moffat isn't too keen on it himself, which is great, because I personally couldn't stand it. It made the show too much like a Soap Opera. Especially with Martha, where the family thing was COMPLETELY unnecessary. There was no need for it in the slightest. With Rose and Donna, at least the families played a small part in the outcoming of the series
I agree, I never really liked that aspect. I also have reservations regarding the whole "super companion" angle as well which RTD employed - Rose taking into the energy of the TARDIS to wipe out the Daleks (and later coming back s she did), Martha trekking the world to save humanity, Donna's role in this last season. I'm all for making companions more than just useless sidekicks whom the Doctor always has to save and explain things to, but it just seems like RTD went out of his way to make this latest batch better than all previous companions, and I don't think that's necessary. Make them strong, but let's not get carried away.

Quote:
Series 5 should be very good.
I've said this from the start, ever since the news was announced - with Moffat at the helm, this will be a new golden age for the Who franchise.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:22 AM   #63
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Especially with Martha, where the family thing was COMPLETELY unnecessary. There was no need for it in the slightest. With Rose and Donna, at least the families played a small part in the outcoming of the series.
The initial idea was a good one seeing the effect that becoming a companion has on those left behind. Rose ran off with the Doctor apparently paying little regard to the consequences it would have on her family, which gave us some interesting moments but stretching it across four series and three separate families was way too much. and of course, it takes us back to the regular complaint that too many stories were set on modern day Earth, specifically London.

If we are going to have a lot of Earth-bound tales (which to be fair I can accept due to budgetary and drama reasons) can we at least have a few more 'historic' stories please, Mr Moffat?
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:17 AM   #64
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake View Post
The initial idea was a good one seeing the effect that becoming a companion has on those left behind. Rose ran off with the Doctor apparently paying little regard to the consequences it would have on her family, which gave us some interesting moments but stretching it across four series and three separate families was way too much. and of course, it takes us back to the regular complaint that too many stories were set on modern day Earth, specifically London.

If we are going to have a lot of Earth-bound tales (which to be fair I can accept due to budgetary and drama reasons) can we at least have a few more 'historic' stories please, Mr Moffat?
I agree - a good concept initially, but one that dragged on too far. And yes, the Earth-based episodes, like it or not, are required for budgetary reasons, however I agree with you - at least make them more historical as opposed to modern day England all the time.

This is one of the reasons I enjoyed the Baker years so much. Just look at how many stories are set in then-modern day England - not many. Still many Earth-based episodes, but they were mostly historic or futuristic.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:33 PM   #65
Mac-Addict
macrumors 65816

Yes, I really am that sad..

Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:59 PM   #66
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Haha, nice one!
Old Sep 12, 2008, 08:35 AM   #67
sprale
macrumors member

Sarah Jane Smith

I really do enjoy the way that the show incorporated a long-past companion. She was a companion to the third and forth Doctors, returning for the Sarah Jane Adventures. Elisabeth Sladen played Jane again, returning in a wonderful season finale. I hope that much of the old series, as cheesy as it were, continues to return. Daleks, Cybermen, the Master, oh my! For some classic Who fun, watch the Five Doctors.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:46 PM   #68
CortexRock
macrumors 6502

No more David T... BBC
CortexRock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:55 PM   #69
liketom
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to liketom
5 more hours -

now who's up for the job?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:11 PM   #70
w00master
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortexRock View Post
No more David T... BBC
I'll miss Tennant as the Doctor, but part of the appeal of the show is change and renewal, at the same time it stays the same.

Long live Doctor #10, and on to the future with Doctor #11!!!!!!

w00master
w00master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:22 PM   #71
Marble
macrumors 6502a

He pretty much has to go while he's still a commodity. It's kind of a pity in a way; I thought he had more potential than was realized.
Marble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:32 PM   #72
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Blimey, that's a bit out of the blue but I suppose after next year's specials is a natural break to do such a thing.

It's going to be interesting watching the speculation over the next twelve months or so as to the identity of the Eleventh Doctor...
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:13 PM   #73
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Wow, big news! Thanks for posting this, I always like to keep on top of Who news! I agree, I'm excited to follow the ensuing 11th Doctor speculation as well. It will be sad to see Tenant go, as he really grew on me, but I said the same thing about CE initially, wary of if Tenant could step up, and in my opinion DT surpassed CE, so let's see if his successor is up to the task as well.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:39 PM   #74
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
Wild speculation time! Who will be the next doctor?
My wishlist... (in no particular order)
Dylan Moran.
Sean Pertwee.
Russell Brand.
Ross Noble.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:41 PM   #75
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Bill Bailey.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion