Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jul 8, 2008, 03:56 PM   #1
pullman
macrumors regular

Finder: Doesn't search external drive

Hi

I have a USB connected NTFS drive which seems properly mounted in Leopard. I can look around in it, copy files etc. But in Finder I can't search. Perhaps I'm missing something about how the Search box works? What happens is the following:

I select the drive in question in the sidebar under "Devices" and then I type in my search phrase (in this case ".mp3" as I want to know how many such files there are).

Finder then displays hits from "This Mac" (which is clear from the little bar above the column headings (where I can also selected "Contents" or "File Name")) and not the drive I wanted to search. Why is this?

And if I click the drive name in that bar, it says "Searching (drive name)" at the bottom of the Finder window for several seconds and then nothing, zip, nada comes up even though I know there are loads of mp3s on the drive.

I'm very confused here, please help!
/p
Old Jul 9, 2008, 02:45 AM   #2
ewilson6
macrumors 6502

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
Click Spotlight.
Click the Privacy tab.
Drag a folder or even an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list.
Remove the item or volume you just added.
Spotlight will re-index the contents of the item you initially dragged to the list.
ewilson6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:02 AM   #3
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullman View Post
Hi

I have a USB connected NTFS drive which seems properly mounted in Leopard. I can look around in it, copy files etc. But in Finder I can't search. Perhaps I'm missing something about how the Search box works? What happens is the following:

I select the drive in question in the sidebar under "Devices" and then I type in my search phrase (in this case ".mp3" as I want to know how many such files there are).

Finder then displays hits from "This Mac" (which is clear from the little bar above the column headings (where I can also selected "Contents" or "File Name")) and not the drive I wanted to search. Why is this?

And if I click the drive name in that bar, it says "Searching (drive name)" at the bottom of the Finder window for several seconds and then nothing, zip, nada comes up even though I know there are loads of mp3s on the drive.

I'm very confused here, please help!
/p
The problem is that it's an NTFS drive. Mac OS X doesn't know how to write to NTFS drives, which prevents Spotlight from indexing them, and thus searching them.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 02:40 AM   #4
pullman
macrumors regular

Super, thanks for explaining. I read somewhere that EasyFind will do the trick.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:57 PM   #5
mrhs
macrumors newbie

Finder Search Function Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson6 View Post
Click Spotlight.
Click the Privacy tab.
Spotlight will re-index the contents of the item you initially dragged to the list.
I tried this solution and it worked, both for Spotlight and Finder. I have an external drive where I store the majority of my projects and resources. Until recently, Finder could find everything and I used the function frequently. Then, when I updated Mac 10.5 to the latest, it no longer worked. I added and then deleted the drive from Spotlight's privacy setting (as directed above by "ewilson6") and voila! It's back to it's wonderful (sort of) old self...
Thanks for the tip!
mrhs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:10 AM   #6
GBPolivka
macrumors newbie

I did this and the entire drive went "poof"

Quote:
Click Spotlight.
Click the Privacy tab.
I dragged the external drive from Finder into Spotlight's Privacy list, and it disappeared as though it was being moved to trash, and now it won't even come up on finder. I can't undo, and I can't access the drive at all, even after powering down, disconnecting and reconnecting the drive. Please help!
GBPolivka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:20 AM   #7
GBPolivka
macrumors newbie

I did this and the entire drive went "poof"

Quote:
Click Spotlight.
Click the Privacy tab.
I dragged the external drive from Finder into Spotlight's Privacy list, and it disappeared as though it was being moved to trash, and now it won't even come up on finder. I can't undo, and I can't access the drive at all, even after powering down, disconnecting and reconnecting the drive. Please help!
GBPolivka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:50 AM   #8
SamNeeds
macrumors regular

Download and install an app called MainMenu. Use that to rebuild the spotlight index.
SamNeeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:16 PM   #9
KeepItFunky
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPolivka View Post
I think one will find that SamNeeds' suggestion is not necessary. Simply, re-drag the external drives back to the sidebar, and they will reappear.
KeepItFunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 03:47 PM   #10
claidheamdanns
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to claidheamdanns Send a message via MSN to claidheamdanns Send a message via Yahoo to claidheamdanns
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItFunky View Post
I think one will find that SamNeeds' suggestion is not necessary. Simply, re-drag the external drives back to the sidebar, and they will reappear.
How will he drag the drive back into that window if it has disappeared?
AT&T iPhone 4
| iOS 6
claidheamdanns is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X