Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 8, 2008, 03:56 PM   #1
pullman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: '(,,,,)l
Finder: Doesn't search external drive

Hi

I have a USB connected NTFS drive which seems properly mounted in Leopard. I can look around in it, copy files etc. But in Finder I can't search. Perhaps I'm missing something about how the Search box works? What happens is the following:

I select the drive in question in the sidebar under "Devices" and then I type in my search phrase (in this case ".mp3" as I want to know how many such files there are).

Finder then displays hits from "This Mac" (which is clear from the little bar above the column headings (where I can also selected "Contents" or "File Name")) and not the drive I wanted to search. Why is this?

And if I click the drive name in that bar, it says "Searching (drive name)" at the bottom of the Finder window for several seconds and then nothing, zip, nada comes up even though I know there are loads of mp3s on the drive.

I'm very confused here, please help!
/p
__________________
MP(3,1) 2.8GHz 20GB S.Tempo Pro (Intel 520 stripe) 23 ACD ˚˚ MBPr(11,1) 2,4GHz 16GB 256GB
When times are at their darkest, it takes a brave man to kick back and party
pullman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 02:45 AM   #2
ewilson6
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
Click Spotlight.
Click the Privacy tab.
Drag a folder or even an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list.
Remove the item or volume you just added.
Spotlight will re-index the contents of the item you initially dragged to the list.
ewilson6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:02 AM   #3
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4
 
wrldwzrd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Solon, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullman View Post
Hi

I have a USB connected NTFS drive which seems properly mounted in Leopard. I can look around in it, copy files etc. But in Finder I can't search. Perhaps I'm missing something about how the Search box works? What happens is the following:

I select the drive in question in the sidebar under "Devices" and then I type in my search phrase (in this case ".mp3" as I want to know how many such files there are).

Finder then displays hits from "This Mac" (which is clear from the little bar above the column headings (where I can also selected "Contents" or "File Name")) and not the drive I wanted to search. Why is this?

And if I click the drive name in that bar, it says "Searching (drive name)" at the bottom of the Finder window for several seconds and then nothing, zip, nada comes up even though I know there are loads of mp3s on the drive.

I'm very confused here, please help!
/p
The problem is that it's an NTFS drive. Mac OS X doesn't know how to write to NTFS drives, which prevents Spotlight from indexing them, and thus searching them.
__________________
iMac Intel (Rev H, 27"), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 10.8.4
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 02:40 AM   #4
pullman
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: '(,,,,)l
Super, thanks for explaining. I read somewhere that EasyFind will do the trick.
__________________
MP(3,1) 2.8GHz 20GB S.Tempo Pro (Intel 520 stripe) 23 ACD ˚˚ MBPr(11,1) 2,4GHz 16GB 256GB
When times are at their darkest, it takes a brave man to kick back and party
pullman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:57 PM   #5
mrhs
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Finder Search Function Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson6 View Post
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
Click Spotlight.
Click the Privacy tab.
Drag a folder or even an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list.
Remove the item or volume you just added.
Spotlight will re-index the contents of the item you initially dragged to the list.
I tried this solution and it worked, both for Spotlight and Finder. I have an external drive where I store the majority of my projects and resources. Until recently, Finder could find everything and I used the function frequently. Then, when I updated Mac 10.5 to the latest, it no longer worked. I added and then deleted the drive from Spotlight's privacy setting (as directed above by "ewilson6") and voila! It's back to it's wonderful (sort of) old self...
Thanks for the tip!
mrhs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:10 AM   #6
GBPolivka
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I did this and the entire drive went "poof"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson6 View Post
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
Click Spotlight.
Click the Privacy tab.
Drag a folder or even an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list.
Remove the item or volume you just added.
Spotlight will re-index the contents of the item you initially dragged to the list.
I dragged the external drive from Finder into Spotlight's Privacy list, and it disappeared as though it was being moved to trash, and now it won't even come up on finder. I can't undo, and I can't access the drive at all, even after powering down, disconnecting and reconnecting the drive. Please help!
GBPolivka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:20 AM   #7
GBPolivka
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I did this and the entire drive went "poof"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson6 View Post
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
Click Spotlight.
Click the Privacy tab.
Drag a folder or even an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list.
Remove the item or volume you just added.
Spotlight will re-index the contents of the item you initially dragged to the list.
I dragged the external drive from Finder into Spotlight's Privacy list, and it disappeared as though it was being moved to trash, and now it won't even come up on finder. I can't undo, and I can't access the drive at all, even after powering down, disconnecting and reconnecting the drive. Please help!
GBPolivka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:50 AM   #8
SamNeeds
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Download and install an app called MainMenu. Use that to rebuild the spotlight index.
SamNeeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:16 PM   #9
KeepItFunky
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPolivka View Post
I dragged the external drive from Finder into Spotlight's Privacy list, and it disappeared as though it was being moved to trash, and now it won't even come up on finder. I can't undo, and I can't access the drive at all, even after powering down, disconnecting and reconnecting the drive. Please help!
I think one will find that SamNeeds' suggestion is not necessary. Simply, re-drag the external drives back to the sidebar, and they will reappear.
KeepItFunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 03:47 PM   #10
claidheamdanns
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to claidheamdanns Send a message via MSN to claidheamdanns Send a message via Yahoo to claidheamdanns
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItFunky View Post
I think one will find that SamNeeds' suggestion is not necessary. Simply, re-drag the external drives back to the sidebar, and they will reappear.
How will he drag the drive back into that window if it has disappeared?
__________________
Gavin Anderson
Sterling Studios
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac | 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 | OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.x
AT&T iPhone 4
| iOS 6
claidheamdanns is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finder file search not working on external drive with ExFAT mpaulius OS X 0 Sep 14, 2013 04:24 AM
External hard recognized by system but doesn't show in finder sowon MacBook Air 1 Aug 23, 2013 07:33 PM
Finder not finding movies in Hard Drive search vjaaan Digital Video 9 Jul 28, 2013 08:27 AM
Help! Flash Drive Doesn't Show In Finder OSXAppleMan Mac Pro 1 May 31, 2013 04:19 PM
finder doesn't display all the files from my external hard drive lophi7 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 0 Feb 6, 2013 02:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC