Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GJSchaller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
White Plains, NY
I am looking to do some hobby sewing / embrodiery of symbols & artwork, specifically repeating a number of logos repeatedly (Making a series of "Favors" for a Ren Faire - something that looks like a princess stitched it for her knights, that I can easily reproduce & replace as they get damaged or lost).

There's a good number of computer-controlled machines out there, but none quite seem to be Mac friendly that I can find. Searching the 'net in general reveals applications that are either 1) Ancient (System 7!), or 2) Industrial (Several thousand dollars to purchase).

Is there a home / hobbyist embroidery machine out there, that is OS X friendly?

Reactions: Theoldhippie

osofine

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Outside NYC
I am also trying to find Embroidery Machine Mac Programs

Hi! I'm considering buying a new sewing machine, and I'm interested in a combination sewing/embroidering model (the Brother LB6770 PRW - Project Runway Limited Edition). However, I don't know if there is any point in buying an embroidery model (and spending the extra cash) if I can't use it with my Mac. I have also been thinking about reformatting my main drive and setting up Boot Camp (just for these silly little things) but I'd prefer not to have to. If I do, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Brother software/hardware that you need to purchase separately (again, more cash than I'd like to spend!) called "Brother PED-Basic Software for Downloading Embroidery Designs " running Boot Camp, and if so, which Windoze OS would be the best to install. This thread seems pretty old, but hopefully this will bump it up! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks! -osofine- :apple:

cdlight4u

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Oregon, USA
The link above doesn't seem to get you anywhere. This is inexpensive shareware and worth the try. Plugins are freeware.

There are two active links, one for information:
http://web.mac.com/matthias.arndt/StitchBuddy-EN/Overview.html
(downloads at this link don't seem to be active)

And one for the actual downloads:
http://mac.softpedia.com/progMoreBy/Publisher-Matthias-Arndt-6790.html

I am a newbie to embroidery design AND recently transitioned from Windows to Mac OS. I am so excited to try out this software as I have been searching everywhere for something for Mac! Be sure to download the QL and MD plugins for the software app to make the most of this shareware.

cdlight4u

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Oregon, USA
StitchBuddy vs MacEmb's Convert-It

The software from MacEmb looks promising as well, but so much $$$ for a conversion program?! They don't have me sold yet. I'll keep watching.

While StitchBuddy does not yet have a full selection of formats for conversion, it is inexpensive ($) shareware and a good starting point if you at least want to view and print your files. According to the developer, expanded capabilities are on the way! It is being developed with, first, an update to refine its features, and soon, edit capabilities.

FYI- I also got an email yesterday from Designer's Gallery (TM) -- marketed by BabyLock -- saying that their "developers are looking into [the market for a Mac product]."

I am interested to see how these programs develop and how they will compare to the Windows embroidery packages. It looks like we will finally have some options without having to hassle with virtual OS!

:cool: -Clara

marndt

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Germany
I'm considering buying a new sewing machine, and I'm interested in a combination sewing/embroidering model (the Brother LB6770 PRW - Project Runway Limited Edition). However, I don't know if there is any point in buying an embroidery model (and spending the extra cash) if I can't use it with my Mac.
The two most critical things when talking about embroidery machines and Macs are (1.) transfering designs to the machine and (2.) digitizing designs.

(1.) Many embroidery machines require special card boxes which drivers might become an issue. I'd suggest to look into machines supporting USB memory sticks, e. g. Janome's newer machines.

If you want to use existing designs, a Mac and e. g. the Janome MC350E work like a charm: To view and search for designs with Mac OS X you can use these two plugins: StitchBuddy-QL shows designs as icons in the Finder and allows a preview and StitchBuddy-MD enables Spotlight to search for designs based on their size or number of colors. Both plugins support JEF, SEW, PES, EXP, DST and VP3 embroideries and can be downloaded and used for free at StitchBuddy's website.

If you want to print designs, change their colors or convert the mentioned formats e. g. into JEF embroideries to be stitched with a Janome, one solution might be StitchBuddy itself, but there are others (MacEmb).

(2.) For digitizing / punching embroideries, the only Mac based digitizers I read about are MacStitch and Punto's EmbWizard family, both located in the professional segment: much more features and much more expensive ... I don't know them myself.

So if your using an Intel-Based Mac and want to digitize designs, I'd suggest to run a MS Windows installation either in a virtual box (Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion) or on a Bootcamp partition. The second solution requires a reboot to use Windows, the first one an additional license. Then have a look at Embird or any Windows-based software.

I can't believe I just recommended Windows ... ::eek: ... but again: for downloading, converting and stitching embroideries, Mac OS X is absolutely sufficient: My wife uses her Apple G4 iBook with a Janome MC350E for 1.5 year and had never touched Windows.

HTH, Matthias :apple:

MamaK8

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Hopefully this can help someone-

I have a Brother 900D sewing/embroidery combo machine. This particular machine connects directly to the computer with a USB cord. I connect it to my Mac (running Leopard) and copy designs to it with no problem. The machine just shows up like an external drive when you are setup correctly.

I also have a plug-in that lets me see images of the .pes files in Finder. It's called Needle Works I believe.

Thus far any software that's worth anything in the digitizing arena has been for windows. Hopefully that will change someday soon.

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Baby Lock

I just purchased a "Baby Lock A-Line Sofia" Sewing/Embr for my wife's Christmas. I'm looking for Mac software that we can create our own designs, Not knowing anything about any of this I only assume that this is called digitizing? Does anyone have any suggestions or does the above mentioned software do that (allow you to create you own designs on the Mac)?

marndt

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Germany
I just purchased a "Baby Lock A-Line Sofia" Sewing/Embr for my wife's Christmas. I'm looking for Mac software that we can create our own designs
StitchBuddy (<http://www.stitchbuddy.de>) can not create embroidery files from scratch, a process called "punching" or "digitizing". But with its new version you can modify and combine existing files: parts can be moved, deleted, scaled, rotated and flipped. A 1:1 template print helps you to place the fabric in the hoop and you can add a basting to fix the stabilizer.

StitchBuddy reads a couple of file formats (JEF, SEW, PES, EXP, DST, KSM, VP3, PCS, PCQ, PCD), so you can use designs for other machine types, convert them to DST and load them on the Baby Lock Sofia.

HTH, Matthias

Last edited:

DougalHP

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Hi -
Just an FYI - the BabyLock Sophia also reads .pes files, so no need to convert them to .dst.

I'm a new embroiderer - just did my first one last night - and am excited to find new patterns. I haven't hooked my MacBook to my Sophia yet, but I'm hoping it will work fine.

Can't wait to try StichBuddy too.

Thanks for the info!

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Thanks!!!

Thanks, that's good info! Post back and let us know what you think about Stitchbuddy:)

AV8TOR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
Fort Worth TX
So if your using an Intel-Based Mac and want to digitize designs, I'd suggest to run a MS Windows installation either in a virtual box (Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion) or on a Bootcamp partition. The second solution requires a reboot to use Windows, the first one an additional license. Then have a look at Embird or any Windows-based software.

Has anyone had success trying this with Husqvarna 4d software?

rcdeacon

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Murfreesboro, N.C.
My wife has two digital machines, a Husky D1 and a Baby Lock Elegante. We found that full capabilities require us to use windows in a virtual environment and we use the most cost effective and full fledged software named Embird. I have emailed the people at Embird on two occassions requesting they look into a Mac version or an emulator and supposedly this request in under review. No word has been received back as yet.

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Embird

So this Embird, I kinda looked at it but I am a little ignorant with the terms. so does any of there apps allow you to create a pattern your self? For example if I create a simple drawing for my wife in say photoshop or illustrator can she import them into the app and create a design with that?

Or will this apps only allow you to resize cut, separate or merge preexisting embroidery designs?

It looks to me like their Embird Studio 6.0 (with Sfumato Stitch & Digitizing Tools) is what I am look for but I am not sure?

rcdeacon

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Murfreesboro, N.C.
To make something from scratch you will need the digitizer program. We have the basic Embird program and most of the alphabets but did not purchase the digitizer program just yet. We have used Embird for a number of years and it is a good program at a fair price.

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the info I might give them a try. It may be a couple of months but I'll post back. Thanks again.

flashmom

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
intro, Embird, help?

Hi: I'm new here (as of an hour ago.) I recently moved from PC to Mac, because my hubby got tired of me asking him PC questions! If I have a Mac problem, he says to "call one one of the kids." (I digress..)

I joined this forum to put in my two cents about Embird, and hopefully, get help with my (mental) conversion to Mac. I have been sewing for many years, and have dabbled with design, digitizing, and stitching. I switched embroidery packages from Viking's package to Embird. I must say I am NOT an expert at the Embird programs; I haven't used my new Diamond; and I know very little about Mac. BUT, here's where i put in my two cents (about Embird): Embird is great. When compared to the software of all the high-line sewing machines, Embird is easier, more powerful, and CHEAPER! In addition, the gurus at Embird are very helpful in answering any question or problem directly. Plus, there are several user groups and tutorial sites. I hope that helped the ones asking about Embird.
Embird Basic: Management and editing of existing stitch files
Studio: Digitizer: takes .jpeg to stitch file
Sfumato: takes photos to stitch file
CrossStitch
Font Engine: Converts .ttf and .otf to stitch fonts
Iconizer: (essentially "Finder")

PROBLEM: Embird is strictly PC, but for me, it is worth my effort to figure out: 1. How to work my Mac; and 2. How, within the PC environment (VMware), to get Embird to work properly.

I have just started trying to use Embird in VM, so I don't know what to ask at this point EXCEPT: Does anyone here know if there is a Mac sequence to replace SHIFT/DELETE? No matter what I tried, I ended up having to go to the menu bar to delete. I also spent 45 min w/ a "Mac Genius" trying to import a font that should have moved seamlessly.

Thank you for your time. I hope I helped with the Embird issue. I'll be happy to help with the sewing and embroidery issues, if y'all can help me with Mac!!!

~m

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Does anyone here know if there is a Mac sequence to replace SHIFT/DELETE? No matter what I tried, I ended up having to go to the menu bar to delete.
~m

Thanks for the info on the software, and welcome to the wonderful world of Mac! Not sure what or how you are trying to delete, but delete on Mac goes as follows:

Delete key by itself delete items behind the cursor.

Delete key by itself also deletes highlighted items.

fn (function)+delete deletes items in front of the cursor when deleting text

When deleting in the finder (desktop or with in a folder) to delete an item use the Apple (command)+delete keys

msrehd

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
Digitizing Designs for other software

Hello. I am new to the forums. But old to Macs (since 1986!) I am a textile designer. I do most of my design in Photoshop and Illustrator (also Freehand which I prefer.)

I am tired of spending extra $$$ to have my art digitized and prepared for embroidery. I am looking for MAC software than can do this. I would like it to import ai or eps files and then export to DST.

Has anybody found anything like this, without having to run Windows on my MAC?

Thanks for your help!

marndt

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Germany
I am looking for MAC software than can do this. I would like it to import ai or eps files and then export to DST.
Once I summarized native Mac embroidery software on PatternReview.com: Although I don't know the applications myself, the Pulse plugin for Adobe Illustrator / Corel Draw and maybe McStitch might capable to read EPS. Just be aware than (1.) a lot of additional digitizing work is required to turn a vectorized graphic into a well designed embroidery, and (2.) the mentioned applications are quite expensive ... Depends on your business case.

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
FL
Hi: I'm new here (as of an hour ago.)...Does anyone here know if there is a Mac sequence to replace SHIFT/DELETE? No matter what I tried, I ended up having to go to the menu bar to delete. I also spent 45 min w/ a "Mac Genius" trying to import a font that should have moved seamlessly.~m

I invested in a $50 cordless Logitech keyboard/mouse at Staples. Look for the box that specifically says MAC keys- you will see both the Mac Command/ALT and Windows/Option keys marked. The dual keys are for both windows and macs depending on which OS it is installed on. When connected to Macs the BACK key goes back and the DELETE key goes forward.
The mouse is super- all the MAC functions and more that you can specify for right, left, center, scroll, thumb, etc. The keyboard is a good size with a hand rest, much more comfortable and easier to use than the aluminum blue tooth that came with my iMac. The Logitech has an eject button (super for my Mac Mini) and a MAC power on/off button too. Has all the MAC function keys and program shortcut keys like Safari, iPhoto, iTunes, dashboard, etc. and number keypad.

Well worth the money:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.