Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iann1982

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Leicester, UK
Hi, been lurking on the forums for a long time but first post.

I've recently bought a 40gb Apple TV to stream iTunes media from my MacBook, my only problem is, my MacBook's virtually out of space and what little is left is needed for work.

I don't want to add an external drive as I quite often use it away from a desk, tethering it seems to rather defeat the point of having a laptop.

I do also have an iMac G3 400mhz, 640mb ram, running Tiger with the latest iTunes, this machine has very little use, light internet browsing and a bit of word editing.

I'm wondering if I could hook an external drive to this machine and have it act as a media server, I know USB 2 isn't supported, so i'd be looking at buying a 750gb Firewire drive.

I do hope to later swap the Apple TV's internal hard drive for a larger model, however i'd rather not hack it via software for the time being.

Could anyone advise me if the G3 iMac would be upto this? Or if there's another solution that i've overlooked?

Regards,

Ian

crotalus99

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
I haven't tried it with a G3, but it should work fine from my understanding the streaming isn't that processor intensive.
I would try using just the iMac before I spent the money on the external drive to make sure. If it does then you are much better off using it than the hassle of putting a larger HD in the atv. IMHO

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.