Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broncopde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
I don't know how many others are using it, but I just came upon the open-source app Monolingual which removes language support for whatever languages you choose to remove. It can also removes architectures. And it's absolutely free!

I just opened up over 4 GB on my hard drive just by removing all languages except English and the Intel architectures off my Powerbook. I highly recommend the app and just wanted to give it some publicity on here cause I just got back much needed disk space without having to delete anything I use.

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It is indeed a very useful free application as long as you know what its limits are and the damage it can cause if used improperly. :p

One note about Monolingual:

If you by chance have MS Office 2008 installed and use Monolingual, you will not be able to apply the MS service packs without first uninstalling Office 2008 and re-installing. For some reason removing languages from Office 2008 makes it think the copy is not legal. :mad:

That tidbit is from the MS Mac Office support folks.

Regards.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
If you by chance have MS Office 2008 installed and use Monolingual, you will not be able to apply the MS service packs without first uninstalling Office 2008 and re-installing. For some reason removing languages from Office 2008 makes it think the copy is not legal.

This is very good advice and could possibly pertain to other applications also. This happened on two different Macs and I had to reinstall Office on both. I believe to installer doesn't get the same hash from the application since it has been modified.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Is is a cool app, just make sure you know what you are doing. Removing PPC architectures does not really save alot of space and screws with rosetta.

JayMan8081

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Dayton, OH
I would also agree that Monolingual is an incredibly useful app! I have an older G3 iBook with only a 10GB HDD. It was getting pretty close to full so I ran Monolingual and removed all languages except English and the Intel arch and got back 3 GB of space! :eek: That's 30% of my HDD back.

sharky05

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
love this app most of the time. Adobe's misbehaving a bit with the updates - this could be to blame. Generally a great concept though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.