Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
London, UK
Hi

I have bought Final Cut Express for editing movies on my 24" iMac 4GB RAM.

I was quite disappointed to find out the following:

Exporting to FLV appears to be only possible if you have Flash installed. Somehow FCE employs Flash's FLV export software to list in the "Using QuickTime Conversions" Export options and then once Export is initialised, the user is taken on a rather uncertain experience as to if it's actually doing anything.

Once Save is clicked, the progress bar appears, but no progress is updated, the beachball appears and one might be fooled into thinking FCE has crashed.

After a long period of time (the time to render to .flv) I get an .flv file where I wanted it but the whole journey seems almost like it's designed for alpha testing software and certainly not a final release.

A friend who owns a new MBP that doesn't have Adobe's CS3 suite installed has no FLV option in the "Using QuickTime Conversions" Export menu!!

I recently asked a video editing expert in London's Apple Store in Regent Street what the best way was to do this. He advised me to buy QuickTime Pro which would have FLV as an export option. Whilst I've read this on other forums, I've also found out that QuickTime Pro does not contain .flv export options and I really don't want to buy QuickTime Pro as an experiment!

I'm looking for solutions that work directly from FCE and not via free downloads or third party apps. So on that basis, can anyone tell me if there's a professionally deployed solution to this or do we all have to tolerate Apple's alpha styled release of exporting to FLV.

Thanks in advance

David

ja2weiss

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
So I just did a clean installed of Leopard on my G5 and reinstalled CS3, Final Cut 6, and After Effects. But just like you, I could not export to .flv from final cut or quicktime anymore.
After ALOT of researh in forums, I found there is one plugin that needs to be in Library/Quicktime. Its called "FLV.component". That file was already in my Library, but I had too drag in another version of the same plugin I found in Applications/Adobe After Effects/Adobe After Effects.ap/Contents/Frameworks/FLV.component

I just did a spotlight search for FLV.component and found it was there and dragged it into Library/Quicktime to replace the other one.

Now the option to export to FLV in Final Cut and Quicktime is available. I hope this helps.

garda09

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Hi David,

I'm assuming you're running Leopard.

No real solution offered I'm afraid. I have exactly the same issue with FCP after upgrading to Leopard and MacPro. On my old G5 running Tiger, I could export directly to FLV, no problems. Even the progress bar functioned - it was great.

After the upgrade, I wasted hours trying to figure out why this wouldn't work on the new setup. Flash CS3 was installed, I had the output option in the Quicktime Conversion menu but all I got was a beachball!. Tried the same files on my old G5, exported no problem - with progress bar.

I was truly fooled into believing that FCP had crashed (how many times did I force quit FCP!!) but after reading your post, I tried again and although the progress bar isn't working, it did output an FLV.

So the only solution I can offer, if you want the progress bar, is to regress to Tiger and Quicktime 7.4.1. The conversion all worked brilliantly on this setup and I never had an issue.

I too would love to know if anyone knows of a fix for this?

Good luck David.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
Same problem here. I can export to any format but FLV. Not a problem though, since I can just export with Adobe Flash CS3 Video Encoder.

@Garda09: I thought the same. I kept force quitting FCP, but yeah. Apparently it works.

andrewat

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Does anybody have updated information on this?

I'm using the newest version of FCE and I'm working with HD footage. I need to find a way to export my clips from FCE into a flash format that will preserve the HD quality so that I can get it to a webmaster for use on a website.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.