Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:24 AM   #1
jjahshik32
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
So are all MBP owners with the 8600m GT cards screwed?

Since its been official that all 8600m GT cards are defective that we can only prolong the gpu failing..

Ok so this makes me feel like I've just gotten kicked in the crotch for the 2nd time. So this means the 3 year apple care I bought might be a lottery pick.

For the people who hardly ever games and reaches a low temperature of their gpu cards would take much longer for the gpu to die and what if your gpu dies a year after the 3 year warranty~

This has ruined my day, no week, no month.. no year~!!
__________________
http://www.steve-yi.com
jjahshik32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:36 AM   #2
prism
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
LOL, wasn't it you who said that it looked like the only model affected was the 2.2ghz 128mb vram?
__________________
MBP13" i5
prism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:38 AM   #3
jjahshik32
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by prism View Post
LOL, wasn't it you who said that it looked like the only model affected was the 2.2ghz 128mb vram?
Yup, and now I got bit by the snake on my crotch~!

Ebay it will go~
__________________
http://www.steve-yi.com
jjahshik32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:43 AM   #4
prism
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjahshik32 View Post
Yup, and now I got bit by the snake on my crotch~!

Ebay it will go~
So you are going to go through the hassle of selling a perfectly fine laptop because an article claims that the GPU model in your laptop may be defective?
__________________
MBP13" i5
prism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:47 AM   #5
jjahshik32
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by prism View Post
So you are going to go through the hassle of selling a perfectly fine laptop because an article claims that the GPU model in your laptop may be defective?
I've been thinking about selling the mbp since the mention of the Nvidia crisis.

Also if it were "may be defective" I wouldnt sell it but.. when it IS defective yes.. something inside me keeps telling me since last week to sell, sell, sell before everyone else finds out and the mbp with the nvidia gpu are not desired anymore or prices drop dramatically.

I was trying to keep this mbp for at least 3-4 years and if it will break on me by then, I would rather just save myself the $2k now and just opt for a white macbook now or wait for the new mbp.
__________________
http://www.steve-yi.com
jjahshik32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:57 AM   #6
Alan Taylor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mississauga
And there goes *another* Mac from you this year...
Alan Taylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:02 AM   #7
jjahshik32
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Taylor View Post
And there goes *another* Mac from you this year...
Yea, I'm so so tired of exchanging and flipping it on ebay..

Finally this 17" mbp is perfect.. but finding out that all the 8600M gt cards are defective just makes this laptop feel like an expensive time bomb or I've just lost my investment.
__________________
http://www.steve-yi.com
jjahshik32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:04 AM   #8
iCries
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
not really surprised, I mean come on the 8600GT is hotter than the 8800M GTX... ^^
iCries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:13 AM   #9
bov
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
i have a 2.2Ghz MBP with 8600GT 128mb vram. I haven't found anything wrong with my baby. What are the symptoms of a defective card?
__________________
3rd Generation, 20 GB iPod
5th Generation, 80 GB iPod
15-inch 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro
5th Generation, iPhone 4S - White 32 GB
bov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:17 AM   #10
ravenvii
macrumors 604
 
ravenvii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Melenkurion Skyweir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bov View Post
i have a 2.2Ghz MBP with 8600GT 128mb vram. I haven't found anything wrong with my baby. What are the symptoms of a defective card?
Same here, and I had it for slightly more than a year now. No problems at all.
__________________
59 6F 75 20 73 70 6F 6F 6E 79 20 62 61 72 64 21
ravenvii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:23 AM   #11
jjahshik32
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Same here, and I had it for slightly more than a year now. No problems at all.
That's what scares me even more that your mbp has lasted a lil over a year now.. this means that your nvidia gpu will last 1-2 more years until it fails and especially when apple care runs out by then, then your even more screwed.

I would rather the gpu fail 6 months at a time and 3 times so I could get a swap for the montevina, I guess.

But why go through that stress when I can sell it on ebay now and wait until the montevina and just buy that.

Also once the montevina mbp are out the 17" and 15" mbp will drop in price by alot of $$ on top of it not being as much desired as well because of the nvidia gpu.
__________________
http://www.steve-yi.com
jjahshik32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:26 AM   #12
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000
 
yetanotherdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
Surely if nvidia have acknowledged that all the GPU's are fauly, they, or apple will cover that particular issue above and beyond the usualy warranty (as it's now a known, sold faulty issue). Like when they recalled all batteries of a certain batch.
I imagine that if aple of nvidia don't fix this for you, if/when your GPU dies, regardless of how long after the warranty it dies, they would be in all sorts of class actions trouble.
__________________
It's just a ride, & we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings & money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. - Bill Hicks
yetanotherdave is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:31 AM   #13
jjahshik32
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
Surely if nvidia have acknowledged that all the GPU's are fauly, they, or apple will cover that particular issue above and beyond the usualy warranty (as it's now a known, sold faulty issue). Like when they recalled all batteries of a certain batch.
I imagine that if aple of nvidia don't fix this for you, if/when your GPU dies, regardless of how long after the warranty it dies, they would be in all sorts of class actions trouble.
I hope your right on this, but I went ahead and listed the mbp on ebay already for a price that I'd want and in the meanwhile I will just wait until there are more information about this issue from Nvidia or someone gets to the bottom of this.
__________________
http://www.steve-yi.com
jjahshik32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:39 AM   #14
doctoree
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjahshik32 View Post
Since its been official that all 8600m GT cards are defective that we can only prolong the gpu failing..:
Can you please give us your source? I thought that so far NVIDIA didn't reveal which GPUs are effected and only said "older GPUs".
doctoree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:42 AM   #15
prism
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjahshik32 View Post
Also if it were "may be defective" I wouldnt sell it but.. when it IS defective yes.. something inside me keeps telling me since last week to sell, sell, sell before everyone else finds out and the mbp with the nvidia gpu are not desired anymore or prices drop dramatically.
Uhhh, did Nvidia or Apple confirm that the 8600gt in your lappy is defective? Until it is official, it is just a rumor and nothing else!
__________________
MBP13" i5
prism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:48 AM   #16
iCries
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
actually nvidia confirmed it yesterday, and as far as I understood it, its the latest revisions of the 8600GTs who are faulty, not the old 128mb ones, if I understood it right.

Either way I find it surprising that the majority of the MBP never found it weird that the gpu was so hot, specially when it isnt really a high performing card, not even the 8800M gtx gets as hot as the 8600GTs found in the MBPs.

link to news; http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ia-g84-g86-bad
iCries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:55 AM   #17
NRose8989
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I don't get all of this craziness going around... My MBP is still going strong and I've never had a problem yet. as a matter of fact I'm currently exporting my final cut project as I'm typing this and its cooking hot but shows no signs of a near catastrophic failure. I played the orange box a couple weeks ago for several hours (until i beat it) and it ran strong. now i understand that my MBP doesn't represent the entire population of MBPs and that some people do have problems. I still plan to get apple care before my warranty is up and (knock on wood) if it eventually does die, then apple is going to have to do something (either fix or replace) to make it right. actually this may be a good thing, when/if my MBP dies say two years down the road, then apple just may send me a brand new current gen MBP to replace it.
NRose8989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:00 AM   #18
jjahshik32
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCries View Post
actually nvidia confirmed it yesterday, and as far as I understood it, its the latest revisions of the 8600GTs who are faulty, not the old 128mb ones, if I understood it right.

Either way I find it surprising that the majority of the MBP never found it weird that the gpu was so hot, specially when it isnt really a high performing card, not even the 8800M gtx gets as hot as the 8600GTs found in the MBPs.

link to news; http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ia-g84-g86-bad
No basically all Nvidia 8600M GT cards that are in the mbp whether its the 128mb, 256mb, 512mb are defective and eventually depending how much you push your gpu will determine its longevity.

Looks like 2-3 years kind of thing with moderate usage.. you see I dont game at all really on my mbp which scares me even further because that means the gpu could survive anywhere from 2-4 years and if it dies after my AC runs out then I'm totally screwed.

I just feel like I've bought an expensive laptop with an expiration date on it.

They mention that the ASIC circuitry that's on the gpu is the culprit and when the gpu heats up and when you put your mbp to sleep or turn it off it cools and pretty much the circuitry cant take too much of it from heating up and cooling and heating up and cooling and over and over...

So this means that we should just keep our laptops on forever?

"The other problem is the long tail. Failures occur due to heat cycling, cold -> hot -> cold for the non-engineers out there. If you remember, we said all G84s and G86s are affected, and all are the same ASIC, so why aren't the desktop parts dying? They are, you are just low enough on the bell curve that you don't see it in number that set off alarm bells publicly yet.
Laptops get turned on and off many times in a day, and due to the power management, throttle down much more than desktops. This has them going through the heat cycle multiple times in a day, whereas desktops typically get turned on and off once a day, sometimes left on for weeks at a time. Failures like this are typically on a bell curve, so they start out slow, build up, then tail off.
__________________
http://www.steve-yi.com
jjahshik32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:10 AM   #19
iCries
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I'm seriously really happy that ATi finally got its game back together, bought a computer for my brother recently with the 4850 card and its just priceless how well everything worked instantly, and the image quality of ATi cards is just on a completely different level than nvidia.

I really regret that my last 2 purchases had nvidia cards in them, nvidia is the cheapest ******* company I have ever met in the it industry, its not like this is the first time they use cheap methods just to get out there or trump their competitors.

Its like during the 7-series gpu when they released really hot ineffective gpus which gave up image quality for FPS to just compete with ATi's offerings.

Hopefully the next DELL xps lines wont use any nvidia cards, and I hope HP goes to ATi also, and if Apple by a chance of a miracle for once would use a worthy GPU for their high end offerings and put in the HD 3780 Mobility, that would lead to a really worth deserving blow to nvidia which will spend hundreds of millions of dollars to solve this current crisis. They have to learn that cheap tactics like this is are not acceptable by either the OEMs or the customers.
iCries is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:15 AM   #20
iCries
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRose8989 View Post
I don't get all of this craziness going around... My MBP is still going strong and I've never had a problem yet. as a matter of fact I'm currently exporting my final cut project as I'm typing this and its cooking hot but shows no signs of a near catastrophic failure. I played the orange box a couple weeks ago for several hours (until i beat it) and it ran strong. now i understand that my MBP doesn't represent the entire population of MBPs and that some people do have problems. I still plan to get apple care before my warranty is up and (knock on wood) if it eventually does die, then apple is going to have to do something (either fix or replace) to make it right. actually this may be a good thing, when/if my MBP dies say two years down the road, then apple just may send me a brand new current gen MBP to replace it.
Yea, well maybe its because you never knew you had a problem? Mac fanboys constantly defended the sick thermals of the 8600GT in it, I personally feel like I have a frying pan on my lap when I use the ever so "good" MBP.

These are not normal thermals, and I find it utterly amazing how most of you can even accept it or think its normal.

Here's to hoping that Apple will use a 3870 mobility in its next iteration of the MBP and actually for once give us our moneys worth.
iCries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:23 AM   #21
nusynergy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kent - UK
Ok so now im worried.

I have only just got my MBP, like a week ago. I play World of warcraft a lot on it. While playing i use Smcfancontrol to keep the temp as low as possible (about 55-60). But occasionally when i play i get graphical issues i.e. ppl dont look like there supposed to but Glow bright white instead. Random objects and animals in the game do the same.

Is this a sign that my GPU maybe on its way out?
__________________
32gb Wifi+3G iPad
iPhone 3GS 32Gb (White)
iMac 24-inch: 3.06GHz
13" MBP 2.26ghz
nusynergy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:30 AM   #22
effer
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
You know, you could just put your nVidia chip through a stress test. If nothing unusual happens, you're probably safe to keep it for a while longer. But if you break it, it's at least covered by warranty. On a couple occasions, I've noticed my MBP having completely scrambled graphics. It's hard to say if I am affected by this problem, but it only happens once every couple months so I'm not really concerned.

And didn't nVidia state that this problem could affect *future* products?

So you might only want to use products with intel graphics. Which would mean using something from the MB/MBA line until this problem is resolved, or Apple switches to ATI/AMD.
effer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:30 AM   #23
jjahshik32
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusynergy View Post
Ok so now im worried.

I have only just got my MBP, like a week ago. I play World of warcraft a lot on it. While playing i use Smcfancontrol to keep the temp as low as possible (about 55-60). But occasionally when i play i get graphical issues i.e. ppl dont look like there supposed to but Glow bright white instead. Random objects and animals in the game do the same.

Is this a sign that my GPU maybe on its way out?
I would think that the GPU wouldnt give you a symptom but rather just dying out or going out randomly one day.
__________________
http://www.steve-yi.com
jjahshik32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:50 AM   #24
effer
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Commonly, a GPU will produce screen artifacts before dying completely. A game exhibiting flashes, specs or bright colored anomalies is either the result of a driver related issue or (more likely) a defective GPU. Usually the problem worsens as the temp rises, but not always.

And about the GPU temps. Most graphic chips run hot, and are *supposed* to operate fine at such temps (80-100c). This isn't a guess, it's published information. A MBP becoming burning hot under load is not necessarily a symptom of a defective product. The problem is that nVidia's chips are not living up to their specs.

Last edited by effer; Jul 10, 2008 at 05:56 AM.
effer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:00 AM   #25
prism
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCries View Post
Yea, well maybe its because you never knew you had a problem? Mac fanboys constantly defended the sick thermals of the 8600GT in it, I personally feel like I have a frying pan on my lap when I use the ever so "good" MBP.

These are not normal thermals, and I find it utterly amazing how most of you can even accept it or think its normal.

Here's to hoping that Apple will use a 3870 mobility in its next iteration of the MBP and actually for once give us our moneys worth.

LOL, you obviously have never tried a MBP with the old ATI GPU in it. Even when idle, the thing feels like the inside of an oven!
__________________
MBP13" i5
prism is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How (Un)reliable are the 8600m GT MBP's? Goftrey MacBook Pro 16 Mar 20, 2013 01:34 PM
Apple refusing to fix a 2008 MBP with a failed NVIDIA 8600M GT akadmon MacBook Pro 17 Dec 10, 2012 06:17 PM
graphics corruption MBP 2.4 17" 2008 8600m h2kskull MacBook Pro 3 Nov 25, 2012 12:39 PM
What should I do? Need advice with MBP GeForce 8600M GT graphics chip jtomasi MacBook Pro 3 Oct 4, 2012 04:33 PM
iPad Owners get screwed Wicked1 iPad 47 Sep 22, 2012 06:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC