Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
iPhone 2.0 Firmware (5A347) Available Early

Thursday July 10, 2008 09:12 AM EST; Category: iPhone
Written by arn

Mac News
Once again, digging through Apple's XML files has revealed the url to the iPhone 2.0 Firmware that is presently available on Apple's servers. The firmware image has a filename of:

iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw (download link)

This build is slightly higher than the one of the latest iPhone Firmware Beta (5A345) which was also spotted on shipping iPhone 3Gs. Despite the filename appearing in the XML file, the actual firmware has not yet been released officially. As well, the firmware carriers a "1,2" designation while all previous firmwares, including the beta firmwares carried a "1,1" number.

Apple has posted an updated guide about firmware upgrades and warns:

Normally if you choose to update, the iPhone or iPod touch software is updated but your settings and media are not affected. If your device currently has a software version prior to 2.0 (1.x) and you are updating to software version 2.0 or later, all data on your device will be erased in order to perform install the new software. In this case, iTunes will offer to create a one-time media backup of your device depending on what content is on your device and what content is stored in the iTunes Library you are connected to. You should ensure that you have enough free space on your Mac or PC to accommodate a backup that matches the capacity of your iPhone or iPod touch (4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB) if you proceed with the this backup.
In order to install the firmware, you will have to do it manually by pressing the Option key when pressing the "Check for Update" button in iTunes.

We expect the firmware to be officially released shortly and will appear in your iTunes software update. If you don't wish to wait, you can use this method, but should proceed with caution.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Have you done it? I gotta say...I sure am nervous but I don't think I can wait anymore

in the process right now.. so far so good. the current status says "verifying updated software".. it should be done in a couple of minutes

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
current status "updating iPhone firmware"

fyi - this is a HUGE update 255mb. I started at 9:20am... its been running 13 minutes so far

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
in the process right now.. so far so good. the current status says "verifying updated software".. it should be done in a couple of minutes

Lemme know, got just about enough time to do it before I gotta leave for work.

I really only want to do it if I can put the free apps I just downloaded right on there.

Also - that warning about losing saved data scares me. Does it back it up properly?

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Can You EXPlAIN this because I am doing this and iTunes do not recognize the file.

hmm. I simply downloaded the file.

and clicked option key while clicking check for updates at the same time.. and pointed it to the file.

fyi - Did you upgrade to iTunes 7.7 first? I did..

cjosee

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
hmm. I simply downloaded the file.

and clicked option key while clicking check for updates at the same time.. and pointed it to the file.

fyi - Did you upgrade to iTunes 7.7 first? I did..

Yes, is Working now

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
ok.. upgrade complete.

notes: it appears it DOES wipe all data.. so after the update.. it asked if this is a new iPhone or if you want to restore from last backup. I chose restore... took a a minute or so.. now it is restarting again

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
restart finished.. now it went into an automatic sync. this is taking a while because it wiped everything.. so now is re-syncing all my music, movies, calendar, etc

geeb

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
Throws an error 1602 when restoring to 1.1.4 from 2.0 in iTunes 7.7.

Use a lower version of iTunes.

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I've done it once already with success. Running it again cause I restored my contacts from an older (I think) file...

Ryhian

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Orlando, FL
This question is somewhat related to the updating process. Has it been stated anywhere that your iPhone 1.0 has to be on 1.1.4 and sync'd to be able to hook up the new 3G iPhone and copy over all of the data? Or the exact process of doing this without upgrading your iPhone 1.0 to 2.0 and copying over everything to the new one?

Psyxologos

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
They will have a previous build installed.

Beta 8 (5A345).

The new build, and GM version is 5A347.

Once you get your device tomorrow, you will need to update.

R-Fly

I might get mine after a week or two, so perhaps the next batches will have the newer (non-beta) version. We wait and see. Thanks for the reply!

geeb

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
They will have a previous build installed.

Beta 8 (5A345).

The new build, and GM version is 5A347.

Once you get your device tomorrow, you will need to update.

R-Fly

From the XML:

<key>5A345</key>
<dict>
<key>SameAs</key>
<string>5A347</string>
</dict>

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
This question is somewhat related to the updating process. Has it been stated anywhere that your iPhone 1.0 has to be on 1.1.4 and sync'd to be able to hook up the new 3G iPhone and copy over all of the data? Or the exact process of doing this without upgrading your iPhone 1.0 to 2.0 and copying over everything to the new one?

there is not a lot of info out yet about the update.. its a direct download and not from iTunes. I was running 1.1.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.