Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:24 AM   #1
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Firefox autocomplete address Safari-like

Does anyone know of a firefox 3 extension or setting that will make the address bar act like safari's? For example, when I type google and hit enter, it automatically goes to google, not a search page.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:57 AM   #2
clevin
macrumors G3

what safari did, is to automatically add "www." and ".com" to wrap anything you typed in between, this won't work with any url ended with .net or .org, etc.

By default, firefox will only do this when you press cmd+enter. Otherwise, firefox uses google, or google feeling lucky search, so you might see google search result, or you might be taken to the top result of google result directly.

Quote:
Firefox will first try to send your request to a keyword search service. By default, this service is Google's Browse by Name service. For example, If you type mozilla foundation into the Location bar, Firefox will submit a query to the Google Browse by Name service, since this is not a valid URL. The service will direct you to its best match for your request, and direct you to http://www.mozilla.org. An entry without a clear match to a URL will display search results for the entry.
for changing these settings, you can go here http://support.mozilla.com/nl/kb/location+bar+search

basically you just turn off keyword.enabled in about:config, after which it will behave as safari does.

You can also specific what prefix and suffix firefox should add, by changing the pref of browser.fixup.alternate.prefix and browser.fixup.alternate.suffix
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:02 AM   #3
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevin View Post
basically you just turn off keyword.enabled in about:config, after which it will behave as safari does.
Didn't work, any other ideas?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
clevin
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.j.strain View Post
Didn't work, any other ideas?
well, that is THE idea. lol, what addon do you have then? see if any of them is changing the urlbar behavior.

also, see pic below to make sure your setting is same as highlighted entry ("false").
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	165
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	123208  
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:09 AM   #5
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

That's what my settings are, but everytime I just type the word, ie google, it takes me to the opendns search page
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:27 AM   #6
clevin
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.j.strain View Post
That's what my settings are, but everytime I just type the word, ie google, it takes me to the opendns search page
one by one
1. what is the value of the entry keyword.URL in your about:config? try change it to
2. what addons do you have?

3. does a new profile help?

Last edited by clevin; Jul 10, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:29 AM   #7
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

maybe it's a dns problem ...
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:35 AM   #8
clevin
macrumors G3

i modified my previous post, take a look
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:38 AM   #9
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Changing the url worked. Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 07:27 PM   #10
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

I have a pretty similar question. Is there a way to get Firefox's awesome bar to autocomplete like Safari?

In Safari when I type macr, it autocompletes to "macrumors.com", however, in Firefox it stays at macr. I like the way it works in Safari, because I can just hit enter and it takes me to MacRumors.com, but in Firefox I have to press down once then hit enter.

So basically I want to go from this:

to this:
Old May 18, 2010, 12:29 AM   #11
Hat7
macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm bumping this, because I'm looking for the same functionality that TuffLuffJimmy described.
Hat7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 11:58 PM   #12
bonecandy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat7 View Post
Yeah I'm bumping this, because I'm looking for the same functionality that TuffLuffJimmy described.
For something pretty close you can try this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7423/

Works great for me.
bonecandy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 05:03 AM   #13
allan.nyholm
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to allan.nyholm Send a message via Skype™ to allan.nyholm
Hey guys, try setting browser.urlbar.autofill to true - I am looking in Camino for this, surely it's in Firefox too. In Camino I had to first open the site(amazon.com) but from there on I got the same behavior as Safari.

Is this the solution?

Edit.. this was meant as a reply to TuffLuffJimmy and those after.
allan.nyholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:42 AM   #14
plaintiger
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan.nyholm View Post
Hey guys, try setting browser.urlbar.autofill to true - I am looking in Camino for this, surely it's in Firefox too. In Camino I had to first open the site(amazon.com) but from there on I got the same behavior as Safari.

Is this the solution?

Edit.. this was meant as a reply to TuffLuffJimmy and those after.
i know this is eight months old, but i've literally been looking and longing for this little nugget o' knowledge for years. allan: THANK you. at last i can use Firefox without the one behavioral quirk that has always eventually sent me running back to Safari.

Edit: hmm. it seems i spoke too soon. it worked the first time i tried it and hasn't worked again since.

&%$#ing firefox...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:46 AM   #15
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaintiger View Post
i know this is eight months old, but i've literally been looking and longing for this little nugget o' knowledge for years. allan: THANK you. at last i can use Firefox without the one behavioral quirk that has always eventually sent me running back to Safari.

Edit: hmm. it seems i spoke too soon. it worked the first time i tried it and hasn't worked again since.

&%$#ing firefox...
Switch to Opera. It's fast, it's feature packed, and it has the same autocomplete functionality as Safari.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:19 AM   #16
plaintiger
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
Switch to Opera. It's fast, it's feature packed, and it has the same autocomplete functionality as Safari.
thanks; i've tried Opera many times and deleted it each time, but i don't remember now why that was and will give it another go. i thought it was because of nightmarish preferences, but i've just downloaded it and popped open the preferences to see, and they're definitely not the terrifying jumble of algebraic nonsense i was thinking of; either Opera's prefs have been massively revamped or i'm confusing Opera with one of the other browsers.

thanks again. if i remember to, i'll report back with my opinions, which i know are the *real* reason people come to this site.

=-=-=

okay, i've tried it. is 19 seconds to display http://www.google.com/ what the kids are calling "fast" these days?

Last edited by plaintiger; Jan 14, 2011 at 02:05 AM.
plaintiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:44 AM   #17
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaintiger View Post
okay, i've tried it. is 19 seconds to display http://www.google.com/ what the kids are calling "fast" these days?
Obviously your internet sucks. Opera is plenty fast. The only problem I've had with the recent release is it will often hang on exit, which doesn't really matter to me since I only quit it when I'm shutting down my computer for an update.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:22 AM   #18
plaintiger
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
Obviously your internet sucks. Opera is plenty fast. The only problem I've had with the recent release is it will often hang on exit, which doesn't really matter to me since I only quit it when I'm shutting down my computer for an update.
actually, at 31.46 Mbps (yes, Mbps) down and 5.10 Mbps up, mine is one of the fastest cable connections in my part of the country; blows T1 and T2 lines out of the water. Safari and Firefox on my Mac and my Windows box load that page instantly. Opera takes ~20 seconds the first time i load it after each launch; subsequent loads are instant until i quit Opera and launch it again, at which point the problem recurs.

it also appears i'm not the only person experiencing sloth. one person says, "I don't think the guys at Opera have given this problem a high priority, although I believe a lot of people have this problem. It is quite strange."

...and on further testing, i find it has nothing to do with http://www.google.com/ - Opera takes ~20 seconds to load the first page after i launch it no matter what that first page is.

thanks for trying to help; i guess it's back to Firefox i go.

Last edited by plaintiger; Jan 15, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
plaintiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store