Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I don't know if this has already been posted but...

It's been confirmed that the five applications that came with the January iPod touch update (the $20 one) will be included in the $9.95 2.0 upgrade.

Check out this article here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1376

On June 9, 2008, Apple announced the iPhone 2.0 Software Update for iPod touch which includes all features previously included in the January Software Upgrade, the App Store, and much more (also on June 9, the iPod touch January Software Upgrade was also removed from the store). For information about iPhone 2.0 software, visit http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/appstore.3

aeropix

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Nickels and Dimes

Wow what a ripoff. I feel so used, I paid $20 now I have to pay $10 more for ipod 2.0. So I will be out $30 for what someone today will pay $10 and a new ipod buyer will pay $0. That just makes me crazy.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Thanks for the info.

I lost my Jan update when I sold my Mac Mini and swapped to the iMac I own now.

It'll be nice to get these apps back as I was going to get 2.0 anyway. :)

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Wow what a ripoff. I feel so used, I paid $20 now I have to pay $10 more for ipod 2.0. So I will be out $30 for what someone today will pay $10 and a new ipod buyer will pay $0. That just makes me crazy.

You've paid $20 for the ability/privilege (whatever) of having access to those features for 4,5 or 6 months over someone who waited to pay for the 2.0 update.

Yea it still sucks but its just that the frame of time is somewhat reduced/compressed... think about it with someone who has paid for each and every update of Photoshop going all the way back to 1.0 (loyal as they come) vs. someone who just goes out today (for the first time) to by Photoshop.

The 'loyal supporter' of Photoshop has paid GOB AND GOB more cash to adobe then the 'first timer' who just now paid for their first version of Photoshop. And yet they BOTH have access to 'the latest and greatest' Photoshop has to offer....

Perhaps not the perfect analogy but its a pretty good one...

Dave

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Yes, what a ripoff. Those who upgraded from Panther to Leopard in October shouldn't have been able to have features introduced in Tiger like dashboard, spotlight, etc because they never bought 10.4.

You used the upgrade for six months over anyone who would buy it at the release of 2.0. That's how technology works.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.4 (pWN'd + JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

aeropix said:

Yup, it kind of sucks for you people who actually paid for those apps. ;)

aeropix

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
I got the point, but still feel used.

Yes, what a ripoff.

You used the upgrade for six months over anyone who would buy it at the release of 2.0. That's how technology works.

I do see the point. I guess you have to see software like a tool, and I used mine an awful lot.

I am disappointed to feel like I am paying 3x as much as the next guy. At least I got 20 bucks worth of bragging rights, and now will have to buy 10 more!

Just feels like being abused as an early adopter. I always feel like early adopter pays more at apple.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
Great. I just bought an 8 gig ipod touch the other day. hasn't even come yet. (It has the January update.) Does that mean i'll need to pay for the 2.0? It's only 10 bucks so I don't have a huge problem... it's just annoying.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I believe if you've had your iPod touch for under 14 days the 2.0 upgrade is free.

I'd call Apple tomorrow and see what they say, though.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.4 (pWN'd + JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Yup, it kind of sucks for you people who actually paid for those apps. ;)
yeah but its sad to steal those apps too.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Glad I didn't download the January update now. Not that I'll be buying 2.0, after all that will come already installed on my iPhone!

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK

Pointing this kind of thing out to apple in a written letter/email to Steve Jobs normailly gets a reply... sometimes with results.

I cannot remember exactly but im sure someone sent a complaint to them in january and got it for free... cant for the life of me remember the circumstances tho! Good Luck!

cuanurse

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Virginia

That REALLY ticks me off. It really isn't fair that we paid for the January update and then the people who didn't are still getting it and another update for 9.99. This is the like the iphone price drop fiasco- where is our apple store credit? The people who did the January update should get this one for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.