Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
do you get any tv channels?

or do you have to buy them? Seriouslly whats the point in spending £200 on it if you get no channels?

usarcher

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Maine, USA
No you have to buy the tv shows, but there is youtube for free stuff. Also if you own any dvds of shows you can rip them and view them from :apple:TV

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
No you have to buy the tv shows, but there is youtube for free stuff. Also if you own any dvds of shows you can rip them and view them from :apple:TV

whats the point of naming it tv then? they should call it youtube tv or something!!

macworkerbee

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Ok, I'm not usually negative, but come on. Even your TV by itself doesn't get channels (in most cases), you need a cable box or an antenna to get those.

AppleTV is simply the Apple experience on your TV and the Apple experience is about UI and digital content.

/rant

usarcher

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Maine, USA
whats the point of naming it tv then? they should call it youtube tv or something!!

Because you use it with a tv. Google would probably have a problem if they named it youtube tv. The :apple:TV is designed to integrate your iTunes/media with your tv/entertainment system.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
It's called AppleTV because it displays stuff on your TV.

When this first came out, the entire point was to allow you to take content from iTunes on your computer and view/list to it on your TV and main sound system. It was not designed to watch TV channels. The ability to connect directly to the internet was added later.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Stupid post. Seriously people, can you do a little bit of research before asking ridiculous questions?

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
What ?! - AppleTV is not a TV ! Apple has been lying to us.....:eek:

Next class-action lawsuit please :rolleyes:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Ok, I'm not usually negative, but come on. Even your TV by itself doesn't get channels (in most cases), you need a cable box or an antenna to get those.

AppleTV is simply the Apple experience on your TV and the Apple experience is about UI and digital content.

/rant

In the real world a TV can pick up normal analogue channels, it should only be digital services that you need a additional box. Well in Europe anyway.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
In the real world a TV can pick up normal analogue channels, it should only be digital services that you need a additional box. Well in Europe anyway.

Do you even know what an AppleTV is?

IT'S NOT AN ACTUAL TELEVISION SET.

AppleTV does provide digital content. Only digital content, in fact.

macworkerbee

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008

So you're telling me that in Europe all you do is plug your television in, no other cables, boxes, or antennas and you can watch analogue channels? Are they full of static and snow? I guess the TVs you're talking about could have an internal antenna but that isn't a normal feature on most TVs.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Let's throw in some parallel and serial ports and a floppy disk drive too. :rolleyes:

Some people don't get the concept of new media and how :apple:TV, iPod and iPhone embrace it with iTunes at the center of it all.

With :apple:TV, you watch what you want, when you want it rather than being fed content that a broadcaster somehow figures appeals to a general audience in a one size fits all scheme.

I cancelled my cable when :apple:TV 2.0 came out and I haven't looked back. As somebody (like the rest of you) raised on being fed TV programming, it felt a little awkward and I missed it for a while but soon enough, I was buying my favorite TV shows for a lot less than I paid cable per month.

Surprisingly, I've come to find that I'm buying less and less content and instead watching Podcasts from serious new media producers like Revision3 and ON Networks. I also spend more time listening to my own music, viewing my photos and those of my friends on Flickr and laughing away countless hours on YouTube.

Who wants programmed television after this? Not me! :D

And wow...all of a sudden, I got ONE channel – my own – and there's always something on.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
I cancelled my cable when :apple:TV 2.0 came out and I haven't looked back. As somebody (like the rest of you) raised on being fed TV programming, it felt a little awkward and I missed it for a while but soon enough, I was buying my favorite TV shows for a lot less than I paid cable per month.

I would consider doing the same, but there's enough people in the house where the tube is on all day, be it old re-runs, game shows, other drivel.

There's not enough new shows that I'd be willing to pay for to keep me occupied without cable. And an antenna is not an option where I live (out in the boonies of BF Kentucky). All we can get with rabbit ears is the local NBC station. Even a steady flow of BT AVIs of shows I'd never buy wouldn't keep everyone happy.

Now, some day when I live alone again, I'll take it into serious consideration.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Guys, guys, GUYS -- you're all missing the boat. There is a way to get live tv to work on your apple tv. I figured this out after months of trying different things and surfing every ATV internet forum I could find.

Here's how you do it. Please make sure you give me credit for this. This could make me famous on the interwebs.

(1) Hook up the apple tv to one of the video inputs on your tv;
(2) Hook up yoiur cable/sat box to another one of the inputs on your tv.
(3) Now, if you switch between the two inputs, you have both apple tv and live tv.

Close the thread.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Eventhough I love my AppleTV - there's no denying it's a misnomer.

There's no denying? There certainly is. How is it a misnomer? Its user interface is only available on a TV. It allows you to get content from your computer to your TV. It allows you to view internet content (admittedly limited) on your TV.

The name of a device is not necessarily a good indicator of the capability of the device. However, in this case, I would say that it's a very appropriate name.

Aug 20, 2005
Jesus H - never have I read such rabbid attacks on a post, which in the grand total of things, is meaningless.

I'm simply trying to get the following idea across: When a non-Apple fanboy walks into BestBuy (or whatever store you want) and sees a product called "Apple TV", they immediately assume, it's some type of Apple brand converter box for their cable or satellite hookup.

Flame me more if you wish!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Jesus H - never have I read such rabbid attacks on a post, which in the grand total of things, is meaningless.

I'm simply trying to get the following idea across: When a non-Apple fanboy walks into BestBuy (or whatever store you want) and sees a product called "Apple TV", they immediately assume, it's some type of Apple brand converter box for their cable or satellite hookup.

Flame me more if you wish!

Explain the concept behind EyeTV then. Do people think it's a hook up from your eyes to your TV?

AppleTV plays digital content on your TV. Not sure what the misunderstanding is there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.