Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I have an original iPhone now. Can I buy apps now, put them on my iPhone now, then but them on my iPhone 3G tomorrow? Also can me and my dad share apps (meaning transferring them between different iTunes libraries via flash drive)? Thanks.

Icarus73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
also, can i buy apps for my ipod touch now, and then put them on my iphone if i decide to get one later on down the road?

joedaddy

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Nashville, TN
It can work

I have two iPhone classics and they both use a single iTunes account (my wife and I). I purchased an app from my phone and told my wife to download the same. Since we both use the same iTunes login and password, she was able to download for free. Saved a big $1.99, Woot! :)

newtrotony

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I just upgraded my friend's iPod and my own, and we we're able to just buy and install apps, and then sync them between each other's laptops. We we're even using my macbook and his PC! It seems Apple didn't bother to put any DRM on apps... yes!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, I just synced with my Touch and all my iPhone apps transferred without a problem. There were apps from both the U.S. and Japanese iTMS App Stores, too ... ;)

lukebacon

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I just upgraded my friend's iPod and my own, and we we're able to just buy and install apps, and then sync them between each other's laptops. We we're even using my macbook and his PC! It seems Apple didn't bother to put any DRM on apps... yes!

Now that I must disagree with unfortunately, in the updated T & C's I had to agree to before entering the App Store once it got going, one of the highlighted additions was to the effect that 'Applications are protected with a system called FairPlay'. Sorry!

Good news that it 'might' work though...

andejp12

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
Well this is a relief. I have an iPod Touch at the moment and I want to try out a lot of the apps however I may be getting an iPhone this fall when my current contract with AT&T is up and I want to know that I'll be able to sync the apps purchased and put on my iPod Touch to the iPhone 3G when the time comes for that.

Thanks everyone that has tried this so far as it's helping me decide to go ahead and try some apps :).

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have two iPhone classics and they both use a single iTunes account (my wife and I). I purchased an app from my phone and told my wife to download the same. Since we both use the same iTunes login and password, she was able to download for free. Saved a big $1.99, Woot! :)

So even with two different systems with the SAME iTunes account, you can put games/apps on multiple devices no trouble?

joedaddy

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Nashville, TN
So even with two different systems with the SAME iTunes account, you can put games/apps on multiple devices no trouble?

That's correct. I haven't tried using the App store in iTunes on my computer but both our macs use the same iTunes account and are authorized. I have been downloading the apps over wifi directly to the phone and when I make the same purchase on the second phone with the same iTunes login / password, it states I have already purchase this app and can download again for free.

The next time a purchase an app, I'll try using iTunes on my mac to make sure it's the same situation. I can't imagine a different outcome since the accounts match.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Apps, just like music, are tied to the iTunes account and not the device.

That being said, you should be able to authorize up to five computers like music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.