Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:13 PM   #1
lightster
macrumors newbie

iPod touch won't charge - Any last ideas before I send it in?

I'm quickly approaching the end of my formal education, so I decided I better use my education discount one last time. I chose to buy a mammoth 24" iMac along with a 32GB iPod touch (with the $299 rebate -- thanks Apple!). I'm thrilled with the iMac, and I loved the iPod touch while the initial charge lasted.

Unfortunately, the iPod touch refuses to charge. The large battery icon when the iPod is locked has a little bit of "red charge" left. When plugged in, the battery icon in the top left shows that it is charging, but I've left it plugged in several hours and the charge has not gone up. Here's what I've tried:
- I've plugged it into two different iMacs (a white iMac from ~2 years ago and the 24" I bought recently)
- I've used two different USB/iPod cables (the one that came with the iPod touch and one that came with an iPod classic, which charges fine)
- I've restored with and without having iTunes restore the backed-up settings
- I've done a hard reset of the iPod touch (holding home and the hold/lock button)
- I've also restarted the computers

Both computers recognize the iPod and will sync their libraries to it. iTunes on both computers also "believe" (show) that the iPod is charging. I left the iPod plugged into both computers for 6+ hours each, but without results.

Unfortunately, I had it engraved, so it's not just a simple trip to my local Apple Store. Anyone have any last ideas before I contact customer support to have it repaired/exchanged?

[edit:]And if it matters, I did NOT jailbreak my brand new iPod :P

Thanks,
Matt Light
lightster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:16 PM   #2
aethelbert
macrumors 601

It definetely sounds like you need to get it replaced. But you can take it into your Apple store if it's defective. They just don't want people returning engraved iPods without good reason. If you don't need the engraving, you could probably go to a store and they'd just swap it out for you.
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:17 PM   #3
sgtboy
macrumors 6502

Try a wall charger
sgtboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:38 PM   #4
lightster
macrumors newbie

sgtboy,
Thanks for the idea. If I knew someone with a wall charger, I'd definitely give it a try. However, I'm not paying for a work-around of a defect of something I paid for

And thanks for the response, akonradi. I suppose I'll have to stop by the Apple Store and see what the best option is. I don't really want to give up the engraving, but I also don't want to send it in, wait a few weeks, and have a non-engraved iPod or the same unfixed iPod returned to me. I wish I would've had time to stop by today... I'm betting Apple Stores are going to be a zoo tomorrow. Oh how I hate the iPhone!

("Mr./Ms. Mac Genius, since I've had this inconvenience and the iPhone is $200 compared to the $500 iPod, can you exchange my iPod for an iPhone?" )
lightster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:23 PM   #5
aethelbert
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightster View Post
And thanks for the response, akonradi. I suppose I'll have to stop by the Apple Store and see what the best option is. I don't really want to give up the engraving, but I also don't want to send it in, wait a few weeks, and have a non-engraved iPod or the same unfixed iPod returned to me. I wish I would've had time to stop by today... I'm betting Apple Stores are going to be a zoo tomorrow. Oh how I hate the iPhone!
If you do want to go, tomorrow, you should be fine as long as you can make a Genius bar appointment online. Every time that I've ever gone into an Apple store in any part of the world, it's been a zoo. But I've always been able to get my problems sorted out, even with the crowd. I'd imagine that if you go later in the day, the stores will be normal.

Also, it typically takes a good while longer to get your iPod fixed/replaced if it's engraved, so you might want to take that into account.

edit: I just checked two US stores and neither one is accepting Genius bar appointments until Saturday.
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch