Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:54 AM   #1
uva25
macrumors regular

New Remote App and Whole House Music

I am curious if anyone thinks this new remote app will move the ATV closer to being a whole house music solution. I currently have the ATV but use Sonos as my whole house music solution as I don't want to be tied to turning the tv on to listen to music and I don't want a receiver in each room. While I still don't think the ATV is stable enough in general, the new remote app at least seems to eliminate the need to have the TV on to listen to music. Any other thoughts?
uva25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:29 AM   #2
ayale99
macrumors regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by uva25 View Post
I am curious if anyone thinks this new remote app will move the ATV closer to being a whole house music solution. I currently have the ATV but use Sonos as my whole house music solution as I don't want to be tied to turning the tv on to listen to music and I don't want a receiver in each room. While I still don't think the ATV is stable enough in general, the new remote app at least seems to eliminate the need to have the TV on to listen to music. Any other thoughts?
I don't know what kind of setup you have but it sounds like you could pick up a couple Airport Express's to put around your house. The you can use the iphone remote & itunes to push music to all locations. Very cool indeed.
ayale99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 01:19 PM   #3
uva25
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayale99 View Post
I don't know what kind of setup you have but it sounds like you could pick up a couple Airport Express's to put around your house. The you can use the iphone remote & itunes to push music to all locations. Very cool indeed.
Wouldnt' that require a stereo/receiver in each room as opposed to just speakers?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by uva25 View Post
Wouldnt' that require a stereo/receiver in each room as opposed to just speakers?
I have an Airport Express hooked up to a pair of speakers out on my balcony and it works great. No receiver required.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 01:38 PM   #5
jwalker99
macrumors newbie

Quote:
it just requires amplified (powered) speakers - just like sonos...
jwalker99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 01:44 PM   #6
uva25
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker99 View Post
it just requires amplified (powered) speakers - just like sonos...
Aha, that's the catch. Sonos has two units, one just connect to a receiver, one is a receiver and doesn't require powered speakers. If you are willing to use powered speakers, though, the remote App would appear to be a home run?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

I have the older version of the Airport Express. It never really worked all that well with the older Itunes, but I'm willing to try it again with the latest do you think it should work? All I have to do is plug it into an electric outlet and run a mini out to powered speakers correct?
Scarpad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Billy Boo Bob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I have the older version of the Airport Express. It never really worked all that well with the older Itunes, but I'm willing to try it again with the latest do you think it should work? All I have to do is plug it into an electric outlet and run a mini out to powered speakers correct?
That should do it. Then, in iTunes you have the popup in the bottom right of the window to select which units get the audio... In the Remote.app you can toggle on/off switches for each AirTunes unit (Airport Express / TV / etc...) that you want to use.

I haven't used an Airport Express, but using my TV works just fine that way.
Billy Boo Bob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater