Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tucker101uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Sussex, UK
Just seen some 3g iphones on ebay - currently at £640 with 16 hours to go!?!?!

Not saying I would consider buying one, i'm staying firmly with iphone v1, but how would this work?

Im sure that the iphone has to be activated in store?
A)How have people got an iphone to sell on ebay and
B)How is the person who buys it going to get it activated?!!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007

Not saying I would consider buying one, i'm staying firmly with iphone v1, but how would this work?

Well that is about $1200, which more than covers the phone price, first months plan cost, and termination fee. Looks like at least a $500 profit.

WillyVWade

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
1)Buy it in store and activate it.
2)Sell phone on ebay.
3)Wait till blows over.
4)Buy another 3g iPhone when they go down.
5)???
6)profit.

Sebap3

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008

When I was in line this morning 2 guys were ahead of me and said that there were going to open 2 family plans (1 each) and get 5 phones for each plan (5 is max). They said that they already have 1 on ebay and were going to list the rest. At around 7am the manager told them that they need to have all the people going on the account on line with them or they would only get 1 phone each. 1 of the guys left and the other one that had the phone on ebay stayed and got 1 iPhone. I guess some guys try anything to get phones then cancel their service and don't care about their credit just to make some extra cash. It was so funny when they told me that they're waiting since 2am and that they were going to purchase 5 phones each and I knew that they wouldn't be able to.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Obviously....

But what i mean is - how is the person buying the phone going to get it activated??

If it's been jail broken and unlocked, then likely any SIM card will do.

If it's just been cancelled, AT&T would likley gladly give the new user a sim card if they sign up for a plan.

tucker101uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Sussex, UK
No way to jailbreak it yet?!?

I spose they could walk into a store and get it done - but may raise some staff eyebrows!!! ;) "Where did this come from sir?!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.