Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chesneychik14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Okay I am pretty frustrated, and I know this has been discussed before, but I have had no luck when reading other threads. I think I may have narrowed our problem down to one simple thing but I am not sure. I have an occasion approaching in a week and need to clear off my JVC Everio but can't seem to get them to play on my MacBook.

It's the common problem of converting .MOD to .MOV or .MPEG ... When I simply rename them to .MPEG my QuickTime won't let me open it nor can I import it to iMovie or FCE... Is it because i do not have the mpeg-2 plug in? ...

I have downloaded mpeg streamclip and it is telling me that i need the mpeg-2 for it to export for quicktime. I know it costs $20, but I just want to know that this will solve my problem before I go and spend the money.

i appreciate any advice please ASAP!!! thank you!!

Doodledoo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Okay I am pretty frustrated, and I know this has been discussed before, but I have had no luck when reading other threads. I think I may have narrowed our problem down to one simple thing but I am not sure. I have an occasion approaching in a week and need to clear off my JVC Everio but can't seem to get them to play on my MacBook.

It's the common problem of converting .MOD to .MOV or .MPEG ... When I simply rename them to .MPEG my QuickTime won't let me open it nor can I import it to iMovie or FCE... Is it because i do not have the mpeg-2 plug in? ...

I have downloaded mpeg streamclip and it is telling me that i need the mpeg-2 for it to export for quicktime. I know it costs $20, but I just want to know that this will solve my problem before I go and spend the money.

i appreciate any advice please ASAP!!! thank you!!

I have the same crapass camera with the same awful .MOD container. The best thing I can do is tell you to put the videos back on your camera then import them directly into iMovie or FCE. Otherwise, try the Capty MPEG Edit EX that's available at the JVC website - it might be able to export the videos for you. Last ditch, make a DVD with Capty, download Handbrake ( handbrake.fr ) and rip the movie to a .mov. Good luck

redpatches

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
Solution

I don’t know how much time I’ve wasted trying to get my damn .mod video files to work on my mac. Since buying this bloody JVC Everio Camera, my life has been traumatic, and it’s all due to this damn .mod business. It seems .mod is an mpeg-2 file, and the only way to edit it in iMovie is to go down the Quicktime (charge you $30) path… who wants that?

I’ve tried so many different things, it’s ridiculous. So much time wasted. I piratebay’d the Quicktime mpeg-2 file, but it didn’t work for me. I downloaded Mpeg Streamclip, but it needs the Quicktime mpeg-2 component. I also got my hands on MPlayer, the associated MEncoder, VLC, and a few other ramshackle bits and pieces. VLC doesn’t decode and encode, the two M things are a hassle and unnecessary.

At the end of the day, this is the way I did it.

GET MACPORTS AND INSTALL FFMPEG

This might be scary for you, but there’s a pretty good step-by-step guide at the following website:

http://www.haykranen.nl/2007/11/21/howto-install-and-use-ffmpeg-on-mac-os-x-leopard/

Just go there, read the instructions, don’t bother with the frontends and just get used to using command line (it’s not that hard, honestly). Soon you’ll feel the power of your computer and be in control of what happens with your precious video footage.

Now, when you want to convert the .mod files, simply type in the terminal….

ffmpeg –i directory/its/in/movie.MOD directory/to/be/in/movie.dv

This will convert it to DV which can be watched no worries in Quicktime and iMovie.

HOORAY

(and if you have aspect problems, ffmpeg will sort it out easily)

xxRONNIExx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
California
Okay guys try this...

I have the exact same camera and it was driving me crazy. Try this little trick to import .MOD files. Hopefully you have and external hard drive if you don't you can try this on your internal drive.

1) Go to your HD and make a new folder call it "Mp_Root"
2) Inside that folder make another called 101PNV01.
3) Now take all of you movies with the .MOD file and change it to .MPG
example (MOV01.MOD) change it to (MOV01.MPG) It will ask are you sure you want to change the file....say yes.
4 )Now take that new .MOD movie and drag it to you 101PNV01 folder.
5 )Once you start up iMovie 09 it will automatically see that movie and import it. iMovie will think you have your camera connected.

Hope that helps:)

dillydesigner

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
Brilliant Solution!

I spent over an hour searching forums and checking out software downloads to solve the MOD file conversion problem and this was the only truly FREE solution that totally worked. I was able to edit the MOD files in iMovie perfectly once I converted them according to the above instructions. Brilliant and simple, thank you Ronnie!

WeedySeaDragon

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Australia
Ronnie, I love you!

Brilliant and simple, thank you Ronnie!

Ronnie, I love you!

I can't believe how simple this solution is. When I had a PC I bought Premiere Lite (or whatever it was called) specifically so I could directly import MOD files. I didn't finish the video of my 9-month backpacking trip with Premiere and I was faced with buying extra stuff to have access to my MODs again in my new Mac environment. :apple::D:apple:

You have saved me dollars and so much time. If I didn't already have kids, and if I wasn't 42, and if I wasn't happily married and, well, if I wasn't a man, I would have your babies, dude!

Thank you!!!!!

PS: I signed up to MacRumors just so I could say thanks. :)

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Ronnie

I have to say that I had a good conversion method worked out and a lot of people had used my video tutorial for this exact issue, and now you come along with this super simplistic solution...where were you 3 years ago?

Excellent Job!

Brian

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
I almost threw my camera out...I have a panasonic sdr-s26 and it works like ronnie said it would but in imovie 09 my videos are fuzzy looking is there anyway to correct that??

Chris at JVC

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
Using JVC Everio Camcorders with iMovie '08 or iMovie '09

Hello,

I work for JVC and would like to help.

In most situations, there is an easier method to get video from your JVC Everio camcorder into iMovie '08 or iMovie '09.

When you connect a standard definition model JVC Everio (.mod file) via USB to iMovie '08 or iMovie '09, thumbnails for each scene that have been recorded will show up in the capture window. From there, you have the option to select any scene--or all the scenes--and then import the scenes to iMovie, where they can be edited like any other video. There is no file conversion software necessary, and there is no need to change any file extensions.

Current model high definition JVC Everios that record in AVCHD (.mts file) work just as easily, with two minor additional considerations: The Apple computer must be running with an Intel processor. And, high definition content definitely requires more computer "horsepower", so you will get the best results with a faster processor and more memory. Again, no file conversion is needed, and you do not have to change any file extensions.

I hope this is helpful.

Udansha

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Hello,

In most situations, there is an easier method to get video from your JVC Everio camcorder into iMovie '08 or iMovie '09.

When you connect a standard definition model JVC Everio (.mod file) via USB to iMovie '08 or iMovie '09, thumbnails for each scene that have been recorded will show up in the capture window. From there, you have the option to select any scene--or all the scenes--and then import the scenes to iMovie, where they can be edited like any other video. There is no file conversion software necessary, and there is no need to change any file extensions.

Current model high definition JVC Everios that record in AVCHD (.mts file) work just as easily, with two minor additional considerations: The Apple computer must be running with an Intel processor. And, high definition content definitely requires more computer "horsepower", so you will get the best results with a faster processor and more memory. Again, no file conversion is needed, and you do not have to change any file extensions.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris,

Thanks for the info above. This works great. You were originally responding to DEE9299 where he/she made a comment about 'fuzzy looking' videos. I have a JVC Everios GZ-MG630 and so far the videos I have uploaded into iMovie '09 have the same grainy appearance. I am new to the camera so I am experimenting with the manual record settings seeking improvement. My question though is: is there any degradation of video quality via the method you suggest, or would a conversion first be beneficial for end quality. Thanks!

Johnny.Baba

Dec 5, 2009
Season's Greetings fellow Mac People...

Tried the suggestion made above by Ronnie and it didn't work for me, but then I am running on 6.0.3 of iMovie (and my soon to be returned (?) camera is a Canon FS200). Any ideas?

Thank you,

John

balram003

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
Rename .mod as .mpg, and VLC player is able to play the files. While iMovie and FCP is unable to edit the files in this way. Try to connect your camera directly to your Mac, if you are using the latest iMovie 9 and FC Pro 7, then .mod files will be detected automatically. If not, you have to do format transcoding in advance i'm afriad.

Chris at JVC

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
Udansha: JVC Question

Hi Udansha,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The GZ-MG630 should be able to give you good video quality. In fact, many reviewers say it is among the best current model standard definition camcorders for picture quality.

That's the key. It is standard definition, so you are maxing out at 720 x 480 resolution. By comparison, the equivalent high definition JVC will deliver 1920 x 1080 resolution. That is roughly 6X more dots to work with, and you can really see it on a nice display like the kind you generally find on an Apple computer.

To get the most out of your 630, and to minimize grain, the easiest thing you can do is make sure you have enough light. Shoot some video outside during the day. That will show you the absolute best the camcorder can do. With adequate indoor lighting, you should get video that comes close to matching that. Our built-in light can help if you are in a fairly close range to your subject. If you cannot turn on extra light, try switching the camcorder to the manual mode. Then, try lowering your shutter speed to 1/30th or possibly 1/15th of a second. If there is fast action, this can cause some blur, but with most video I doubt you will see a lot of extra blur. What you will get is a picture with less noise as the slower shutter speed lets in more light.

The direct USB connection will always deliver the best picture quality, as you are importing the original file without any modification at all. As a general rule, there is no way to improve the picture by doing any kind of file conversion. At best, you will have a picture with very minimal loss that is acceptably close to the original. In many cases you will find that running a conversion does result in noticable loss in picture quality and should be avoided if you can go the direct route.

tig90

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
Trouble with JVC MOD filres and iMovie8

I have the exact same camera and it was driving me crazy. Try this little trick to import .MOD files. Hopefully you have and external hard drive if you don't you can try this on your internal drive.

example (MOV01.MOD) change it to (MOV01.MPG) It will ask are you sure you want to change the file....say yes.
5 )Once you start up iMovie 09 it will automatically see that movie and import it. iMovie will think you have your camera connected.

Ronnie; I tried your method but my iMovie08 didn't recognise the .mpg files; any further suggestions?:confused:

Styve100

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
Nottingham UK
My reply is mainly for Chris at JVC and I am really pleased for his input on the forum.
Chris I have an everio MG155EK and looking for the best way to import video. I have purchased the codec for quicktime which enable mpeg2.
I have a newer intel mac and have ilife 09.
When I connect my camera via firewire I only get the option of playing and importing as a tape camera in imovieHD when using imovie 09 it works the same but on usb. I do not get a window with thumbs I can drag in as you suggested only a standard import window such as with a dv tape camera. is this a poor way to import or should I use the mac to drag in the .mod files and convert them?

hoosker

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
.mod files into imovie 06

I had to give up on imovie 09 because it would forget my changes and I lost lots of editing (see all the posts on Apple forums - it is a real shame!). Going back to 06 but need to get .mod files into it. What is the best method. I think I heard that Steamclip could convert to DV and then import to imovie 06. Maybe I should have started a new topic.

harleygold

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
Anderson
Hello,

I hope this is helpful.

Chris, this tops my list for most insightful info from this forum. Works great! Thanks!

Carrie

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I had to give up on imovie 09 because it would forget my changes and I lost lots of editing (see all the posts on Apple forums - it is a real shame!). Going back to 06 but need to get .mod files into it. What is the best method. I think I heard that Steamclip could convert to DV and then import to imovie 06. Maybe I should have started a new topic.

For iMovie 06 MPEGStreamclip will convert it, but you need the apple MPEG2 Quicktime component first, and that's $20 from apple, unless you have a JVC disk with the OS X software on it.

brian**

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
How do I accomplish this in iMovie HD 5.0.2?

This sounds like an excellent solution - I have iMovie HD 5.0.2 and tried this out with no success. Does anyone have any tips for this version?

harleygold

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
Anderson
This sounds like an excellent solution - I have iMovie HD 5.0.2 and tried this out with no success. Does anyone have any tips for this version?

I dont know much about 5.0.2 but have you try'd just opening it up from iMovie. Surely has an "import from camera" option under the file tab.

opmacuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
iMovie 09 not detecting GZ-MG630

Hi Udansha,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The GZ-MG630 should be able to give you good video quality. In fact, many reviewers say it is among the best current model standard definition camcorders for picture quality.

That's the key. It is standard definition, so you are maxing out at 720 x 480 resolution. By comparison, the equivalent high definition JVC will deliver 1920 x 1080 resolution. That is roughly 6X more dots to work with, and you can really see it on a nice display like the kind you generally find on an Apple computer.

To get the most out of your 630, and to minimize grain, the easiest thing you can do is make sure you have enough light. Shoot some video outside during the day. That will show you the absolute best the camcorder can do. With adequate indoor lighting, you should get video that comes close to matching that. Our built-in light can help if you are in a fairly close range to your subject. If you cannot turn on extra light, try switching the camcorder to the manual mode. Then, try lowering your shutter speed to 1/30th or possibly 1/15th of a second. If there is fast action, this can cause some blur, but with most video I doubt you will see a lot of extra blur. What you will get is a picture with less noise as the slower shutter speed lets in more light.

The direct USB connection will always deliver the best picture quality, as you are importing the original file without any modification at all. As a general rule, there is no way to improve the picture by doing any kind of file conversion. At best, you will have a picture with very minimal loss that is acceptably close to the original. In many cases you will find that running a conversion does result in noticable loss in picture quality and should be avoided if you can go the direct route.

Chris: I read your above post after spending some frustrating time trying to import movies from the Everio to iMovie 09. My problem is that iMovie is not recognizing the Everio as a camera. I have plugged in the usb to the camera, the Everio_HDD folder has popped up on my desktop, but when I open iMovie, the capture window doesn't pull up any thumbnails and when I go to "File" and "import from camera" it tells me there is no camera detectable.

I've also tried to import to iPhoto, and the same thing is happening. iPhoto doesn't recognize the Everio.

I've gone to the JVC tutorial and it's not working as shown there either.

What's up? I'd appreciate your help.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Chris: I read your above post after spending some frustrating time trying to import movies from the Everio to iMovie 09. My problem is that iMovie is not recognizing the Everio as a camera. I have plugged in the usb to the camera, the Everio_HDD folder has popped up on my desktop, but when I open iMovie, the capture window doesn't pull up any thumbnails and when I go to "File" and "import from camera" it tells me there is no camera detectable.

I've also tried to import to iPhoto, and the same thing is happening. iPhoto doesn't recognize the Everio.

What model are you using? SD or HD? Not sure HD is recognized as yet, even by '09.

I usually open '09 with any SD i've come across and click on the button that you'd use to capture from your isight cam, then when the cam is recognized (usually by putting it into play mode, though some cams now have an 'export' mode) the thumbnails from each clip show up and allow you to 'import all' or you can uncheck that and select which clips to import.

I know it's not a lot of help, but maybe it will give you something different to try.

Chris at JVC

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
Connecting GZ-MG630 to Apple

Here is all you should have to do:
1. Connect the GZ-MG630 via USB to your Apple
2. On your GZ-MG630, you will see a USB Menu. Select the first option that says "Playback on PC". That will "Light up" the camcorder so the Mac can see it.
3. Launch iMovie '09
4. Choose to import from camcorder and you should see the GZ-MG630 along with the thumbnails for each scene.

It really is that easy. If that does not work, then either the camcorder or the computer needs to be looked at by a technician.

I hope that gets you started.

Chris

Chris at JVC

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
What model are you using? SD or HD? Not sure HD is recognized as yet, even by '09.

I usually open '09 with any SD i've come across and click on the button that you'd use to capture from your isight cam, then when the cam is recognized (usually by putting it into play mode, though some cams now have an 'export' mode) the thumbnails from each clip show up and allow you to 'import all' or you can uncheck that and select which clips to import.

I know it's not a lot of help, but maybe it will give you something different to try.

HD Video in the AVCHD format from JVC and most other leading brands is recognized by both iMovie '08 and iMovie '09. The only thing to be careful about, is your Mac must have an Intel processor.

To make sure the camcorder is recognized, just select "Playback on PC" from the JVC USB Menu, which you will see as soon as you make the USB Connection.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.