Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:42 AM   #1
southerndoc
macrumors 6502a

Push Supposed to Update Unread Status for Emails?

I tried searching for this but couldn't find a thread on it. (A ton of threads that I went through to find that out, go figure.)

Is push email supposed to update the unread email status on the iPhones Mail icon?

Push is working properly -- as soon as I get an email, it displays on my iPhone. When I read it on my computer, the mail icon on my iPhone still displays the message as unread.

Perhaps it's because MobileMe hasn't been fully implemented, it's a bug, or maybe it's not even supposed to change the status through push.

Anyone know?
southerndoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:08 PM   #2
benfischer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post
I tried searching for this but couldn't find a thread on it. (A ton of threads that I went through to find that out, go figure.)

Is push email supposed to update the unread email status on the iPhones Mail icon?

Push is working properly -- as soon as I get an email, it displays on my iPhone. When I read it on my computer, the mail icon on my iPhone still displays the message as unread.

Perhaps it's because MobileMe hasn't been fully implemented, it's a bug, or maybe it's not even supposed to change the status through push.

Anyone know?
That's how IMAP mail works, to my knowledge. That's how Exchange works for me at work, and how .Mac mail always worked in the past. I've seen where an unread mail indicator might not get updated (example, in the system tray on XP or the unread mail badge on the dock icon), but within the mail application itself, the status should update correctly.
benfischer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
southerndoc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfischer View Post
That's how IMAP mail works, to my knowledge. That's how Exchange works for me at work, and how .Mac mail always worked in the past. I've seen where an unread mail indicator might not get updated (example, in the system tray on XP or the unread mail badge on the dock icon), but within the mail application itself, the status should update correctly.
Before push was enabled, mail would check for new messages every 30 mins or so. It would update the unread indicator in the icon when it found unread messages were actually read.

When push was enabled, it doesn't do this automatic check. (I think the option says something to the effect check every 30 minutes if push unavailable.)

Maybe it's just a glitch in the system. I'm sure it will take them a solid month to get everything working smoothly.
southerndoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:21 PM   #4
DoreanGrae
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post
Before push was enabled, mail would check for new messages every 30 mins or so. It would update the unread indicator in the icon when it found unread messages were actually read.

When push was enabled, it doesn't do this automatic check. (I think the option says something to the effect check every 30 minutes if push unavailable.)

Maybe it's just a glitch in the system. I'm sure it will take them a solid month to get everything working smoothly.
Yeah that's pretty much it. The e-mail's read status will update via Push once Mail.app on your Mac syncs back to the servers, which seems to be a problem right now. Push support on the actual Mac seems to be broken, so things like read-status only update when it auto-checks the next time, on whatever time interval it's set on (mine's on 5 minutes).
DoreanGrae is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services