Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
I tried searching for this but couldn't find a thread on it. (A ton of threads that I went through to find that out, go figure.)

Is push email supposed to update the unread email status on the iPhones Mail icon?

Push is working properly -- as soon as I get an email, it displays on my iPhone. When I read it on my computer, the mail icon on my iPhone still displays the message as unread.

Perhaps it's because MobileMe hasn't been fully implemented, it's a bug, or maybe it's not even supposed to change the status through push.

Anyone know?

benfischer

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
I tried searching for this but couldn't find a thread on it. (A ton of threads that I went through to find that out, go figure.)

Is push email supposed to update the unread email status on the iPhones Mail icon?

Push is working properly -- as soon as I get an email, it displays on my iPhone. When I read it on my computer, the mail icon on my iPhone still displays the message as unread.

Perhaps it's because MobileMe hasn't been fully implemented, it's a bug, or maybe it's not even supposed to change the status through push.

Anyone know?

That's how IMAP mail works, to my knowledge. That's how Exchange works for me at work, and how .Mac mail always worked in the past. I've seen where an unread mail indicator might not get updated (example, in the system tray on XP or the unread mail badge on the dock icon), but within the mail application itself, the status should update correctly.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
That's how IMAP mail works, to my knowledge. That's how Exchange works for me at work, and how .Mac mail always worked in the past. I've seen where an unread mail indicator might not get updated (example, in the system tray on XP or the unread mail badge on the dock icon), but within the mail application itself, the status should update correctly.

Before push was enabled, mail would check for new messages every 30 mins or so. It would update the unread indicator in the icon when it found unread messages were actually read.

When push was enabled, it doesn't do this automatic check. (I think the option says something to the effect check every 30 minutes if push unavailable.)

Maybe it's just a glitch in the system. I'm sure it will take them a solid month to get everything working smoothly.

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
Before push was enabled, mail would check for new messages every 30 mins or so. It would update the unread indicator in the icon when it found unread messages were actually read.

When push was enabled, it doesn't do this automatic check. (I think the option says something to the effect check every 30 minutes if push unavailable.)

Maybe it's just a glitch in the system. I'm sure it will take them a solid month to get everything working smoothly.

Yeah that's pretty much it. The e-mail's read status will update via Push once Mail.app on your Mac syncs back to the servers, which seems to be a problem right now. Push support on the actual Mac seems to be broken, so things like read-status only update when it auto-checks the next time, on whatever time interval it's set on (mine's on 5 minutes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.