Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Pain
macrumors regular

Does the update remove all your songs?

Does the update remove all your songs off your iPod? If it does, what is a solution if you manually manage?
Pain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:37 AM   #2
The Messiah
macrumors newbie

It backed up all my songs/videos automatically.
The Messiah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Pain
macrumors regular

From the iPod? Does it make a folder? Any idea where it's located?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Krafty
macrumors 601

It did for me. Wish I'd known that before hand,
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:45 AM   #5
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
It takes a back up, then wipes the lot. It then transfers everything back exactly as it was, but with 2.0 software.
You will need to still have the music on your computer though, as it doesn't backup the files, just a list of the files.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain View Post
From the iPod? Does it make a folder? Any idea where it's located?
I don't know, somewhere on your Mac.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Pain
macrumors regular

I better re-download everything on Limewire, or do something. This is lame. Any ideas? Should I like use those programs that get the songs from your iPod and upload them to my computer?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Shanesan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
It takes a back up, then wipes the lot. It then transfers everything back exactly as it was, but with 2.0 software.
You will need to still have the music on your computer though, as it doesn't backup the files, just a list of the files.
As far as I know, it backs up the programs on the system, calendars, contacts, etc. It does not back up the bulk - see music, videos, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain View Post
I better re-download everything on Limewire, or do something. This is lame. Any ideas? Should I like use those programs that get the songs from your iPod and upload them to my computer?
You don't have them already on your computer? What happened to your music/who did you steal it from/don't you have a mac with time machine?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Jedi128
macrumors 6502

Some people like to conserve hardrive space on their mac by deleting the bulk of their music files from it. This is what I do as I always use my iPod to listen to my music, it doesn't need to be taking up space on my mac as well. I guess I'll have to rip all the songs back to my computer then, send them back to my iPod after the update......
Jedi128 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:56 PM   #10
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

You should prepare for the possibility the automatic 'backup' will fail. It did on mine. It then informed me to continue it'd have to wipe everything. Given all the songs are in my iTunes config, etc., the only thing I lost after all was said and done and resynced were some configuration items. It might be better that it failed, really since if it was truly going to download 14GB off the thing that it has to put back anyway and that are ALREADY on my computer in the form of the iTunes libraries and photo directories, well it's wasting its time duplicating them.
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 02:29 PM   #11
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
Um, after my update, iTunes didn't put any media back on. WHich is kinda annoying when you have many thousands of songs:/ But whatever, haha they have me so distracted with the apps that I don't really care.
3301991 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch