Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:18 PM   #1
jennl
macrumors newbie

your hard disk does not have enough space

I'm performing a normal software update that includes Quicktime 7.5, Airport Utility 5.3.2, iTunes 7.7, Mac OS X Update Combined 10.5.4.

I keep getting the following message:

Your hard disk does not have enough space.
5.0 GB is required to download and install the updates. Extra space is required for the optimization process. To free up space, remove files from your startup disk, then try again.

I've gone through and cleaned up several applications and documents but I don't have anything unusual on my Macbook. I'd appreciate any advice as I've ordered the new iphone and will have to have itunes 7.7 updated.

thanks so much,

Jenn
jennl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:19 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

How much free space do you have?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
joeloud
macrumors newbie

Control+Click on your Macintosh HD on your desktop, and hit "Get Info". A window will come up that will tell you the size of your hard drive, and how much of that is free. It also should say the amount of free space on your hard drive in any Finder window. If you have less than 5 GB free, you'll still have to find more room by deleting some files or moving them to another hard drive.
joeloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:25 AM   #4
jennl
macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestions. It was my bad as I didn't realize how many pictures i had accumulated. I've since backed them up to cd and usb and things are running well now.

i really do appreciate the quick help. thanks again!!!

J
jennl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help