Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:13 PM   #1
fluidedge
macrumors 65816

UK Price vs US Price - Why did apple discount the US price but not UK?

US: $229 (~115)
UK: 199 (~$400)

WTF? When Apple reduced the price of the Apple TV in the US i thought it was a global price cut. This isn't just a case of rip off britain. There is a serious rick in the price here. Can we try TV Take 3? Because if apple don't do something ASAP on the price it'll be the worst failure since the Macbook Air.
fluidedge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:00 PM   #2
northy124
macrumors 68020

Firstly this has been covered many times before. Secondly you have to add Taxes on after the price. Thirdly they earn in USD we earn in GBP so the prices are OK. Fourthly the US are in a bad recession and need cheap items to keep afloat the EU aren't as bad as US yet.

Stop complaining about prices.
northy124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Aegelward
macrumors 6502

Even if you add taxes (+15% seemed like a reasonable number. I'm not quite sure what the average US tax is) and convert it you get about 140 so the cost is still far less than what we pay.

I'm thinking about scoring one of these on ebay
Aegelward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:29 PM   #4
applemax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by northy124 View Post
Firstly this has been covered many times before. Secondly you have to add Taxes on after the price. Thirdly they earn in USD we earn in GBP so the prices are OK. Fourthly the US are in a bad recession and need cheap items to keep afloat the EU aren't as bad as US yet.

Really. So why are all the other products Apple sell fairly priced except this one then?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:39 PM   #5
sananda
macrumors 68020

they appear to be selling them more or less at cost following the introduction of film rentals and there has been no corresponding price cut here (uk). it seems like the price cut was to kick start the film rental business and for whatever reason they haven't decided to try the same thing here.
sananda is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:41 PM   #6
northy124
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by applemax View Post
Really. So why are all the other products Apple sell fairly priced except this one then?
We have screw all in the way of films as well which the US has so that plays a role in it, Films subsides the TV same that iTS subsides the iPod with music sales. Not sure on other products as I don't know many of the factors behind them.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

??? AT&T is subsidizing the price of the phone...apparently other carriers aren't. This isn't "Apple" doing it.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:43 PM   #8
northy124
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
??? AT&T is subsidizing the price of the phone...apparently other carriers aren't. This isn't "Apple" doing it.
Erm WTF this is about the TV and you say about the iPhone
Old Jul 13, 2008, 03:05 AM   #9
fluidedge
macrumors 65816

taxes don't come into it - i'm talking about the price cut SJ announced at the MW keynote. It happened for the US but not for the rest of the world. Thats bad and thats exactly why i won't be buying the apple TV.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 03:45 AM   #10
weckart
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by northy124 View Post

Not one these is a valid reason for the huge discrepancy. Especially your last comment.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 03:54 AM   #11
Aegelward
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by weckart View Post
Not one these is a valid reason for the huge discrepancy. Especially your last comment.
It's completely valid, who else is going to float Apple's profits during these times of hardship, it is us, the chosen people of rip-off britain whose mighty pound will carve a force of profit never before seen in these times of hardship.

If... in your heart, you find yourself doubting that, why, why i ask you do you use apple. Why do you believe in them, if you bit into the great Apple and found the taste bitter instead of sweet, i implore you to go back to Microsoft. For we have no wish to consort with your type. Unbeliever.

(gosh, i hope this isn't taken seriously)
Aegelward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 04:12 AM   #12
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Get used to the pricing

Adobe, Apple, Microsoft, Sony and the Music and Film industry (and many others) see europe as an area to rip people off.

Some are worse than others, generally Apple are within a few percent of the US prices (once UK VAT and Import Duty are factored in), Microsoft are o.k. with some, but seem to shaft you with Vista. Sony have done their best to stop you importing cheaper products from abroad (though many now use US/CA exporters for games).

However the winner of the golden 'Shaft You' award goes to Adobe.

CS3 $650 (around 325) 560. Even with 17.5% vat and a few % import duty they are still marking up by around 150. And in the UK we don't even get a localised version.

So Apple TV at 199, crap price, hence no-one has really bought into the idea here. For that price I can get a decent DVD/HDD Recorder (with freeview).
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 05:26 AM   #13
fluidedge
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabselector View Post
Get used to the pricing

Adobe, Apple, Microsoft, Sony and the Music and Film industry (and many others) see europe as an area to rip people off.

Some are worse than others, generally Apple are within a few percent of the US prices (once UK VAT and Import Duty are factored in), Microsoft are o.k. with some, but seem to shaft you with Vista. Sony have done their best to stop you importing cheaper products from abroad (though many now use US/CA exporters for games).

However the winner of the golden 'Shaft You' award goes to Adobe.

CS3 $650 (around 325) 560. Even with 17.5% vat and a few % import duty they are still marking up by around 150. And in the UK we don't even get a localised version.

So Apple TV at 199, crap price, hence no-one has really bought into the idea here. For that price I can get a decent DVD/HDD Recorder (with freeview).
good call! I'll look into one of those. Also Sky+ is awesome, my brother has it. Shame because at 130 i might have gone for it.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 06:01 AM   #14
Alan Taylor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegelward View Post
It's completely valid, who else is going to float Apple's profits during these times of hardship, it is us, the chosen people of rip-off britain whose mighty pound will carve a force of profit never before seen in these times of hardship.

If... in your heart, you find yourself doubting that, why, why i ask you do you use apple. Why do you believe in them, if you bit into the great Apple and found the taste bitter instead of sweet, i implore you to go back to Microsoft. For we have no wish to consort with your type. Unbeliever.

(gosh, i hope this isn't taken seriously)
It will be
Alan Taylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 04:55 PM   #15
millypede
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to millypede
If you really want to look at the pricing structure, compare the TV and the iPods, then it REALLY throws the price Tax/Exchange rate argument out of the water.
millypede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 05:57 PM   #16
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Remember that in the US a local sales tax is added onto the price (i'm sure it varies from state to state).

I checked the 8gb and 80gb ipods

8G US price (converted 2:1) with UK Vat works out to be around 118 (UK RRP 129)
80gb is around 146 (RRP 159)

I've not factored in any import duty (cos I don't know how much it would be).

I won't defend the Apple TV price though.....that said if BBC iPlayer worked on it (like the Windows Media Player version, allows decent downloads rather than a stream) i'd buy one tomorrow!
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 06:27 PM   #17
ScubaDuc
macrumors 6502

If you think you are getting ripped off in the UK, you should check Belgium out. The iPhone here is 525 euros, including TVA and the cheapest plan is 30 euro/month with only 20 Mb of data

Lat time I checked 525 Euros were over 800 U.S. pesos

On the plus side, our phones are unlocked and can be used with any provider...Not that it matters for they are all rip offs and the country is so small that if you blink you are abroad...with international roaming charges

I am thinking that with such high US subsidies, the iPhone will loose much of its appeal.. Maybe I'll just pick up a Nokia E71 instead... They are not subsidized in the U.S. and they are much better phones

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater