Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dallasuo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
Canton, GA
So all of a sudden my wife's ipod (5th gen 30gb video) stops playing in her car. She uses a cassette adapter. I go to the store and buy an itrip to see if the issue is the headphone jack or something deeper. Well the itrip gets no audio output either.

Anyone have experience with this issue? Is my ipod just a nice external hdd/photo album?

I have already reset and updated the ipod.

magid

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2003
Have you tried playing it with something other than the cars audio? Maybe the car is the problem. If the iPod wasnt outputting sound through the headphone jack it should still work no problem with the dock connector.

dallasuo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
Canton, GA
I have tried on a couple of stereos in my house, and neither the cassette, rca, nor itrip dock transmitter work.

If I squeeze the bottom right corner of the ipod, it does start working intermittently.

davidgreg99

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Any luck? I have the same problem

Hello,
I am experiencing the exact same problem. After reading your post, I squeezed the bottom right corner of the iPod, and I got output for a split second. So, did you ever get your issue resolved? If so, how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-DAvid

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
Count Me In as Well

I too, have had the exact same problem. Instead of tossing it aside completely, I use mine as a backup drive.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Here's an idea you may not have thought of...

If you can still charge and sync it with the standard Dock connector, then get a set of external speakers or speaker module that uses a Dock connector instead of the headphone jack for connection, and play music through that. iHome, Griffin and Logitech have many products that use the Dock connector.

I have one, in fact: the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere. It connects using the Dock Connector, has built-in rechargeable batteries for go-anywhere iPod listening, and when attached to an AC outlet will charge both the speaker batteries AND the iPod. For what it does, it rocks.

Alternately, you could use it in an iPod-compatible "jukebox". I've seen tabletop and floor-standing iPod modules that look like miniature Wurlitzer jukeboxes, and look great in a rec room. It's a neat way of re-purposing an older iPod that has problems with the audio jack or can no longer hold a decent battery charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.