Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikarus79m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
I have discovered an obscurity with my 3G iPhone and MobileMe. Whenever I am connected via 3G or EDGE my mail gets pushed instantaneously to my iPhone.

However, if I am connected via Wifi (at home) push to my iPhone mail application doesn't work anymore.

I can reproduce this every time. Turn on 3G/EDGE, send myself an email: Works. Switch to WiFi, send myself an email... nothing.

Is that weird? Is push not supposed to work via WiFi?

What are you guys observing?

ikarus79m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Marksman. Could you try it out right now? See if it works? Just send yourself an Email while the iPhone is connected to Wifi and see if it works.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Count me as one having problems with push over WiFi. I work in a hospital and I lose EDGE constantly so I turned on Airport Mode and WiFi. Nothing pushes to my iPhone now. I tested this by going outside and turning off Airport Mode and WiFi and sure enough, my newly created iCal event pushed to my iPhone (after it synced to the cloud from my Mac - "automatically" :rolleyes: ).

Kind of weird. I wonder why this happens? How can Apple even control something like that?

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I am having the very same problems. My iPhone does not have any AT&T service right now, so all I have is WiFi (so it basically works as a Touch). When I initially setup Mobile Me on the iPhone - Calendar, Contacts and Bookmarks are retrieved; but after that nothing else is pushed. I can get email manually, but if I delete an email, it is not deleted on Mobile Me.

markym07931

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
i don't get push via wifi either...... i've never had any push come through... hang on... let me just turn wifi off, and see what happens!

M

OMG.. push works over the network, (GPRS) but not via wifi... weird!

M

Schweppy

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I am getting this problem intermittently.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I have just tried connecting to wifi whilst having 3g signal and the sync icon just keeps spinning and doesn't pick up any emails!!! I'm guessing some big fixes will be made shortly....

Ducky280

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Near Lisburn
Very strange...

It seems to be working over my WIFI now.... But its VERY random, if I leave my iPhone on for ages then send a test email from my iMac to my .me account at times it don't come in.

Rebooting the phone seems to start it checking again, so that would tell me that its something in the iPhone that aint doing its job right, and not the Wifi

or it could just be Apple tweaking things and it might take a few weeks for everything to be streamlined and working fully...

Only time will tell, lets hope we all get this running smoooooth as if apple cracks this its BYE BYE blackberry...

jdtute

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
No WiFi Push

:confused: why wont it push over wifi?! anyone managed to solve this issue? via wifi i can only recieve email if i open mail and send/recieve :confused:

Ducky280

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Near Lisburn
My first thought is it could have been my routers firewall settings but rebooting the iPhone seems to make it work again...

01. Reboot iPhone and send a test Email *WORKS*

02. Again and again it works

03. Then it just stops working

>>> Rebooting the iPhone not the Router then fixes this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.