Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Anyone remember when the AEBS was announced and all of the wonderful things it could do - specifically over the air Time Machine backups to a NAS or other drive. It looked pretty good until it was released and that feature was disabled.

Fast forward a few months, Apple releases the new Time Capsule product that allows over the air back up but to their device.

Fast forward again and a patch is released that allows the AEBS to actually do the over the air back that was promised at release.

I was one of the folks that fell for it. I bought an AEBS thinking it could do everything I needed. Then it didn't so I sold it, bought a Time Capsule and 2 days after I shipped out my AEBS they release a patch! ARGH!

I'm not suggesting that there is another product in the works, but as a new Apple convert I'm definitely seeing a pattern or over promising and under-delivering.

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Anyone remember when the AEBS was announced and all of the wonderful things it could do - specifically over the air Time Machine backups to a NAS or other drive. It looked pretty good until it was released and that feature was disabled.

Fast forward a few months, Apple releases the new Time Capsule product that allows over the air back up but to their device.

Fast forward again and a patch is released that allows the AEBS to actually do the over the air back that was promised at release.

I was one of the folks that fell for it. I bought an AEBS thinking it could do everything I needed. Then it didn't so I sold it, bought a Time Capsule and 2 days after I shipped out my AEBS they release a patch! ARGH!

I'm not suggesting that there is another product in the works, but as a new Apple convert I'm definitely seeing a pattern or over promising and under-delivering.
The backup with an airport base station thing happened to my dad who later got a Time Capsule. But to be fair, Apple never promised this would work. It was advertised for a while on the Leopard web pages several months before its official release, but slapped in several places were disclaimers stating that some features and services may not be in the final release version. Apple eventually did release a fix to backup via an AEBS and I use it now. Anything with technology, be patient and things improve over time. Yes, I paid $99 for MobileMe too, but we are early adopters.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
The backup with an airport base station thing happened to my dad who later got a Time Capsule. But to be fair, Apple never promised this would work. It was advertised for a while on the Leopard web pages several months before its official release, but slapped in several places were disclaimers stating that some features and services may not be in the final release version. Apple eventually did release a fix to backup via an AEBS and I use it now. Anything with technology, be patient and things improve over time. Yes, I paid $99 for MobileMe too, but we are early adopters.

I hear what your saying, but it worked in early releases of the AEBS/Leopard combo. It leaves one asking if it was deliberate. I'm not saying either way, but it makes me wonder...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.