Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I've been a pretty avid user of Photoshop for some time.

I like to re-touch my photos, or my favourite ones, before putting them on Flickr, Facebook etc. Its nice to look back on near-perfect pictures, I think.

Anyway.

Currently, my photoshop method relies on removing blemishes with the blemish tool, using a surface blur on the skin, adding some shadows, and then using diffuse glow to top it off.

My pictures never quite look like the 'airbrushed' ones you see in magazines, or even in YouTube and blogspot videos.

I want that nice creamy skin - whilst still keeping texture, just blemishless, vibrant eyes and hair, and a nice balance of colour with the attention left on the face.

I want it as near as possible, I guess.

Is there a detailed guide somewhere which someone works from, or would someone be so kind as to post one.

I've seen a DVD for £150 which teaches you the step by step methods - and the results are breath taking.

One persons work I particularily love is http://www.bressane.com

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your replies :)

K.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I use a clone, spot gaussian blur and lots of patience.

Edit - the best way to accomplish what you're looking for is not in photoshop, but using softening filters or soft-focus lenses.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2004
I'll jump in.

I've been a designer for 15 years so I will be bias on this subject. I think you should always rely on getting the best shot at the location; invest in flashes and good lenses.

With Photoshop, there is no miracle "make photo great" button, I think all of us know that so it really does require patience. I use clone, spot healing, blur, Adobe Lightroom and a graphics tablet which is essential because of the pressure sensitivity you can apply to brushes. Also to make the whole process less tedious you should learn the keyboard shortcuts; I find myself zooming, panning and swapping tools constantly to get the right effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.