Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmkl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Toronto
So, I am looking into finally purchasing a new iPhone, and will probably make the buy this either in the next two weeks, or by the time summer ends.

When summer ends I am starting second year high school (Gr. 10) and am looking for antitheft tips/options for my potential new iPhone.
Why? Well, it is High School, and there are plenty immature idiots and jerks that have no respect for other peoples valuable and feelings.
I actually had my iPod video stolen during Gym class, when my iPod was most vulnerable. I was quite pissed off/ saddened by this and have been without my music on the go for about 3 or 4 months.

This school year, I am not taking gym (sadly) so I have no reason to take the iPhone out of my pocket.

Now lets get something out of the way first.
I am not a stupid, reckless teenager, who does not take care of their belongings. So what I am asking you is to take age out of the equation.

So I'm wondering what are my choices for protecting my iPhone from idiots' hands. What would you recommend?
Is there maybe some kind of app (present or in future production) that would allow me to retrieve/ know the location of the stolen iPhone considering the new model has GPS. Or would this not be possible due to some restrictions on the apps developed by the SDK.

Would be a shame to lose the new iPhone which costs MONEY.

So yeah, Suggest away!

Thanks!!!

Extra Info:
Am living in Canada, so provider will be Rogers. (but I don't think they have some kind of hardware retrieval option)

tldr:
Looking for a way to protect an iPhone from theft, and if it gets stolen to retrieve it?

jmckechnie

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2006
The high school years are tough ones. As far as trying to keep it from getting stolen, I don't know of any programs yet. However, you can try to keep the iphone on your person at all times. I know your friends are going to want to see if and play with it but I would try to limit that as possible. Also, most back packs, if you are allowed to carry one, have double zippers. I would suggest investing in a luggage lock so that you can place the iphone in the back pack and then lock the zippers together.

I'm a law student and carry a laptop with me everywhere I go. While I don't leave my back pack where it can't be seen, I do leave it in the class rooms on our 20 min breaks and place my laptop back in the backpack and lock it.

kmkl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Toronto
Thanks.

Thats probably what I'm going to do.
And the lock advice is really handy so thx again!

a27

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
How can we be sure that this iPhone won't affect your academic performance?
Rather than buy an iPhone, you may be wise to invest the money in extra tuition.

kmkl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Toronto
leave the phone at home and pay attention to the free education we're all being taxed for.

How can we be sure that this iPhone won't affect your academic performance?
Rather than buy an iPhone, you may be wise to invest the money in extra tuition.

I'm an A student, and how would effect my academic performance, this iMac has a bigger effect on that (not really)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I would advise that you keep it on your person at all times. That means in your front pocket and not your backpack. Also, I would not be "showy" with it, use it as little as possible while you are at school.

xSeanZx

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Show it off to your friends only, and keep it in your pocket.

I went through my whole junior year without getting my original iPhone stolen. My friend did however, in our varsity locker room... sucks.

jjsun

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
When I was in HS, I used my locker for all my personal belongings. As soon as I got to school in the morning, I would take out my important stuff: keys, phone, iPod, lunch and lock it in the locker.

If I ever needed it, I could go back and retrieve it, but I knew that all of my valuables were locked up. But, this solution won't work if other people know your combo.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
So, I am looking into finally purchasing a new iPhone, and will probably make the buy this either in the next two weeks, or by the time summer ends.

When summer ends I am starting second year high school (Gr. 10) and am looking for antitheft tips/options for my potential new iPhone.
Why? Well, it is High School, and there are plenty immature idiots and jerks that have no respect for other peoples valuable and feelings.
I actually had my iPod video stolen during Gym class, when my iPod was most vulnerable. I was quite pissed off/ saddened by this and have been without my music on the go for about 3 or 4 months.

This school year, I am not taking gym (sadly) so I have no reason to take the iPhone out of my pocket.

Now lets get something out of the way first.
I am not a stupid, reckless teenager, who does not take care of their belongings. So what I am asking you is to take age out of the equation.

So I'm wondering what are my choices for protecting my iPhone from idiots' hands. What would you recommend?
Is there maybe some kind of app (present or in future production) that would allow me to retrieve/ know the location of the stolen iPhone considering the new model has GPS. Or would this not be possible due to some restrictions on the apps developed by the SDK.

Would be a shame to lose the new iPhone which costs MONEY.

So yeah, Suggest away!

Thanks!!!

Extra Info:
Am living in Canada, so provider will be Rogers. (but I don't think they have some kind of hardware retrieval option)

tldr:
Looking for a way to protect an iPhone from theft, and if it gets stolen to retrieve it?

Not a good idea to take any expensive items to school ;)

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Gotta agree with Wiz. Sorry to say, but it's usually not a matter of 'if' it will get stolen, but 'when'!

I've told students (old and young) that many times but most don't listen. Then when their expensive items get stolen they come to me crying and complaining. :eek:

a27

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I'm an A student, and how would effect my academic performance, this iMac has a bigger effect on that (not really)

I was only teasing.
You'd definitely be a cool kid with the iPhone.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

This is no reflection, directly, on you as I have no idea what your educational growth is. This statement is merely an observation based on 30+ years of teaching experience.

Assessment (particularly grading standards) have changed dramatically over the years. There are students who transfer from one school to another or out of their current district and the (student's) grades change accordingly based on the standards set at the new school or district. There are "A" and "B" students in existence who are dumber than a box of rocks :p Much depends on the scale used to measure academic performance.

a27

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008

I disagree with what I said perviously!

That word should be affect rather than effect.
You see, just thinking about the iPhone is already having an adverse effect on your academic performance.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I disagree with what I said perviously!

That word should be affect rather than effect.
You see, just thinking about the iPhone is already having an adverse effect on your academic performance.

That was probably a typo ;)

LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.