Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:23 AM   #1
MaxaMillion711
macrumors newbie

SD Card Wont Mount - HELP!

hello

I have this card reader

i have this brand new SD card

when I plug the card reader in....and put the SD card in...the card reader blinks the light...and then, on my disk utility...all i see is this:

...so it does not show up on the desktop. it seems i cant mount it. i cant erase it or anything...it says "permission denied" when i try to format it....

any ideas?

here is this also

i have a mac pro too
MaxaMillion711 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:41 AM   #2
cyclingplatypus
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to cyclingplatypus
Is the little LOCK switch slid to the LOCK position?

I believe that the Belkin "disk" that shows up is actually your new card. If it shows up in disk utilities than it is mounted, just because it isn't showing on the desktop it should show up in finder.

To get it to show on the desktop, go into finder preferences and make sure you have the "external disk" box checked.
cyclingplatypus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:07 AM   #3
dashard
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to dashard
Same issue here. Slightly different Card (2Gb Kingston SD) and slightly different Card reader, but same problem. I get an error...

If I proceed to initialize it, it seems to spin its whells a bit but then throws up an error I've actually never seen before in Disk Utility...

I'm stymied right now. And no, it's NOT LOCKED!
Anyone? Any ideas?
dashard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:12 AM   #4
dashard
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to dashard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingplatypus View Post
If it shows up in disk utilities than it is mounted, just because it isn't showing on the desktop it should show up in finder.
You are passing around completely inaccurate information. "Visible to the operating system" does not equal mounted. There's a "disk" (which this is) and there's a "Volume," which is what mounts and appears on the Desktop.

If the "disk" has not been formatted with a "Volume" then the disk is indeed visible to the OS but there is nothing "mounted."

Wanting to help is great, but it's kind of like guessing at driving directions when asked, but not telling the person who's lost that you're guessing. Not such a great thing to do.
dashard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:56 AM   #5
logana
macrumors 65816

Are these brandnew SD card - ie unformatted ?

Are you going to use them in a camera or PDA or something - if so format the cards on those devices.

Are you going to use them as storage or something ?
logana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:25 PM   #6
rmb7984
macrumors regular

Same problem

What a perfect thread - I'm having a similar problem as dashard. However, my card and reader are not "visible" to the operation system (i.e., they do not show up in disk utility). I use the card in a Canon SD750 digital camera. I've formatted the card using the camera itself, but that didn't seem to help any. My suspicion is that the card needs to be initialized, but I don't know how to do this if my computer doesn't know the card exists! Any insights are greatly appreciated!
rmb7984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:34 PM   #7
cyclingplatypus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashard View Post
You are passing around completely inaccurate information. "Visible to the operating system" does not equal mounted. There's a "disk" (which this is) and there's a "Volume," which is what mounts and appears on the Desktop.

If the "disk" has not been formatted with a "Volume" then the disk is indeed visible to the OS but there is nothing "mounted."

Wanting to help is great, but it's kind of like guessing at driving directions when asked, but not telling the person who's lost that you're guessing. Not such a great thing to do.
Actually, I was saying that if you have "Show External Disks on Desktop" box unchecked as I have pictured here a volume won't be visible on the desktop BUT it would show up in Finder as I was alluding to, therefore the information I gave out was not incorrect your interpretation of it was.

Another possible solution suggestion would be if the cards (not the OP) are SDHC cards a standard card reader won't work, you'll need an SDHC reader or direct hook up to the device (i.e. camera).
Attached Images

Last edited by cyclingplatypus; Jul 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:00 AM   #8
DottoreFausto
macrumors newbie

Problem Mounting SD Card - through HP PSC-1350 All-in-one

Similar problem here. I just purchased an SD HC card (for whatever HD stands for) and cannot mount it when inserted in the card reader. The only way is throught USB-cable between camera and Macbook Pro. I'd like to mount and initialize it or download software that will enable the card-reader on my printer.

Any clues? Formating with the camera did not do it.

I've read somewhere on a French posting that NTFS-3G could be useful. I don't understand what it stands for and if it would work. Has anybody tried that?

Any other hints please?

Thanks,

Simon
DottoreFausto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:22 PM   #9
cyclingplatypus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottoreFausto View Post
Similar problem here. I just purchased an SD HC card (for whatever HD stands for) and cannot mount it when inserted in the card reader. The only way is throught USB-cable between camera and Macbook Pro. I'd like to mount and initialize it or download software that will enable the card-reader on my printer.

Any clues? Formating with the camera did not do it.

I've read somewhere on a French posting that NTFS-3G could be useful. I don't understand what it stands for and if it would work. Has anybody tried that?

Any other hints please?

Thanks,

Simon
Is you reader able to read SDHC cards? HC (High Capacity) cards can't be read by older readers, the newer readers are backwards compatible with standard SD cards.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:38 AM   #10
sirmarksalot
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashard View Post
Same issue here. Slightly different Card (2Gb Kingston SD) and slightly different Card reader, but same problem. I get an error...

If I proceed to initialize it, it seems to spin its whells a bit but then throws up an error I've actually never seen before in Disk Utility...

I'm stymied right now. And no, it's NOT LOCKED!
Anyone? Any ideas?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But it seems nobody has answered this question. I have the similar problem, pretty frustrating not being able to get your videos from the SD card to the computer.
sirmarksalot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:52 PM   #11
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

Resurrecting an old thread again.

I don't even get an error message, unless I format the card, nothing happens.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:39 AM   #12
jsheets19
macrumors newbie

My experience.

Same reader and a Lexar Media reader.

I cannot get these readers to work to save my life. They are fine on a PC but will not work with a Mac.

I have found you can use your camera as a reader/hard drive. Hook up the camera with the SD card that you wish to add info to or dump from. Use it as a hard drive.

You must format the disk to the camera.

If I can figure out a way to get the darn readers to work, I will come back for sure!
jsheets19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:21 AM   #13
jsheets19
macrumors newbie

Another helpful link

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

for macbook pro
jsheets19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help