Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
I've tried for the life of me and I can't get this to work. My host uses IMAP and IDLE (I've also tried GMail to be sure) and email simply won't push to my phone. I've tried removing all my apps and completely reinstalling my firmware and it still won't do it.

Push is set to on, the accounts in question are set to fetch and the fetch interval is set to manual (shouldn't need an interval if I'm using Push/IDLE) - is anyone else having this problem/know of a way to rectify it? Email is really important to me! :/

heartbreaker75

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I have push set up on 1st Gen phone with yahoo mail and mine is pretty sketchy. Some people have no problems, some do have problems. i would make sure that the mail in question says push next to it in the Fetch Data > Advanced section. it will say push or fetch next to the mail account. if it doesn't say push, then it will only fetch. i also have a fetch interval in case it doesn't push as a back up b/c sometimes my yahoo pushes and sometimes it doesn't. i think it misses it when i am on the phone when it tries to push.

Also, Gmail does not support push at this time. I think it will later this Fall from what I've read from others on here.

I would also like any help i can get with this as well

Sic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
ahh, yahoo has the push option in Push > Advanced! I didn't realise "Other" and "Gmail" didn't support Push. Is there a plan to integrate this, does anyone know? I can't send email using a different SMTP on Yahoo, which is quite annoying! This new firmware really feels very rushed to me.

heartbreaker75

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
what i've done is did a auto forward from my primary email to my yahoo so i get the my primary emails pushed. i also have my primary email set up in my phone, but left the incoming server info blank and only have the smtp outgoing email set up so i can reply from my primary in the "reply from" option now.

its kinda of a pain to do this, but is the only way to take advantage of the push with my primary email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.