Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryanhdd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Hey guys and gals, i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get yahoo push to work. I have a yahoo account and also pay extra for the pop access. But i read that does not matter, so i search Google for yahoo and iphone and well the directions do not make mush sense to me. I go to yahoo.com and mail and cannot find the links and stuff to set it up. Can anyone help? i have done some searches and well cannot figure it out. Thanks in advance.

is there something i have to do to the iphone to make it work?

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
I am assuming you are using version 2.0.

Did you:
1) Settings->Fetch New Data->Push->On
2) Settings->Fetch New Data->Advanced->Yahoo Mail Account->Push

If not, try those. I assume you already setup the account on your iPhone. When I set this up under the old OS I think there were settings along the way to enable the push. I definitely haven't seen anything on the Yahoo website lately about it.

Ryanhdd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Well i do get the mail to my phone, but it does not tell me i have new mail from the home screen. i have to go to the mailbox, of which i think i then checks the mail and then gives me the messages. i do not think this is push though. bc doesnt it check for mail when you click on the mailbox. I just want it to show up on the home screen too.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Wow. I just did a search on Yahoo Answers and not only did none of the answers give a step by step instruction for setting it up but all the answers were pretty much wrong.

When you setup your Yahoo account did you go to Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Add Account...?

Once there I think you just click on the Yahoo!Mail button (don't use other), put in your name, Email Address and Password and it should work. I don't have service at my desk here at work so I can't conveniently try it. The only other tip I can offer if you did that would be to delete the account from the iPhone and try again.

One problem I had when I was setting up a new Yahoo account recently is it did not like my password. I think this is an iPhone problem because I have seen it other places on the iPhone too (like AIM). The iPhone doesn't seem to like the character "&" in the password. That won't be your problem if you can "pull" your Yahoo!Mail. Can you do that?

I just read your original post and saw that you pay extra for the POP access. That might be your problem. I saw a question someone posted about the paid accounts not working as well as the free ones for the iPhone push feature. I don't know if that has been resolved.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I am not too familiar with YAHOO
but you may have to be patient
even my MobileME and Exchange 2007 takes up to a minute at times

Yahoo may take longer, if its not truly meant for PUSH email

you may be better off switching it to "fetch - every 15 minutes" if it takes too long

thats how I get my GMAIL, and it tells me right away (from the home screen) even when my phone is "closed"

zeeke

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
UML diagrams

can any of u tell and explain to me this question:

i) does it possible to allow user to draw UML diagrams in web page?

ii) does it possible to draw UML diagrams in web pages?

i apprciate it if any of u can reply it. thank u

heartbreaker75

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I am having the same issues. Sometimes i get my yahoo mail pushed and sometimes i don't. i also have the fetch interval on in case it doesn't push and i don't think it even is fetching. very frustrating.

i have to do the same thing. go in and check mail manually and then the emails come through. i know that the emails are coming through to my yahoo inbox on my desktop.

i don't know what to do either to fix this problem. the only thing i can think of is maybe their servers are getting hammered since everyone is using yahoo emails on their iphones.

any assistance i can get also would be great

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Well i do get the mail to my phone, but it does not tell me i have new mail from the home screen. i have to go to the mailbox, of which i think i then checks the mail and then gives me the messages. i do not think this is push though. bc doesnt it check for mail when you click on the mailbox. I just want it to show up on the home screen too.

Yes, you are pulling. The Push shows up on the home screen with a count. I would suggest creating a new Yahoo account at Yahoo without the extra POP feature, just the free account and then set that up on the iPhone and see if that works. If that works it is probably the paid account feature that is doing you in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.