Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:15 AM   #1
enragedmullet
macrumors newbie

How do I set DPI in Illustrator CS3?

I've been trying to get some business cards printed, and the printer specifies 600 dpi, and I can't find where to set the dpi in illustrator cs3, there's a place to set the raster effects DPI, but that only goes to 300, and I need to set the entire document to 600, should I just double the size of the document? or since it's vector does it matter anyway?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by enragedmullet; Jul 14, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
enragedmullet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
InLikeALion
macrumors 6502a

Others may correct me, but here's my opinion. If you're sending them vector graphics in eps or ai format, there is no dpi, as vectors are "dpi independent". Just make sure you outline your strokes, combine shapes with the pathfinder, etc.

The only time under this scenario that you need to worry about dpi with a vector file, is if you are placing a raster image into it, like a texture background or something. You would need to find the original and convert its resolution to 600dpi at the final output size, then place it in illustrator.

If they are asking for a raster image as a final, such as tiff or jpg, then you do an "export" and select the file type. Then, under resolution click the "other" radio button and type in 600.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3
BrianDavid0523

DPI (dots per inch) does not apply to art created directly in Illustrator.

DPI would apply to anything you create in Photoshop and then import into Illustrator. In which case you would set the DPI to 600 in Photoshop.
BrianDavid0523 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:29 AM   #4
enragedmullet
macrumors newbie

funny, i thought of that after i posted this on like 3 forums... thanks very much, both of you!
enragedmullet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:50 PM   #5
jerryrock
macrumors 6502

InDesign would be a better layout program for business cards.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:27 PM   #6
CMD is me
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrock View Post
InDesign would be a better layout program for business cards.
Actually it depends on the content.
CMD is me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Mr. Cade
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Cade
Setting output DPI for PDF's in illustrator

I'm creating a layout with illustrator to print and the end result is 10'x10'.
I need to save it as a PDF.
The problem is, when i open the PDF in Photoshop, it opens at 300dpi and is incredibly unwieldy for my client and the printer and everyone involved.
(I dont know why they cant just bypass Ps and use the Ai PDF as is, but apparently thats the case)

So

I'm being asked to save my PDF from Ai at 150 dpi. So that when its openned in Ps it doesnt take so long etc.

How does one do that?
Mr. Cade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cade View Post
The problem is, when i open the PDF in Photoshop, it opens at 300dpi and is incredibly unwieldy for my client and the printer and everyone involved.
Mr. Cade,

Why are you opening the PDF in Ps?

I use a PDF workflow for most design and print. Generally, low resolution (150 ppi) sRGB is used for client approval. When everything is finalized, higher resolution CMYK is sent to the printer (some large-format RGB giclee jobs are sent directly from PS). At 10' x 10' the final output should be fine with 150 ppi PDF settings if the file includes raster images and that's what your printer calls for. (You could possibly get by with 100 ppi.) Again, though, if it's all vector, there's no ppi/dpi issue.

BTW, Ps can rasterize vector graphics in whatever resolution you specify in the open dialog, not just "300dpi." All you need to do is change the number before continuing.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics