Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjarvie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Hello folks,

I always find setting up airport express base stations a rather frustrating process.

Here is my problem:
I want to extend the range of my wireless network. I have a three airport express' at my disposal (although for what I want to do here I think I only need two).
I am trying to get a good wireless signal upstairs in my house (it's an old house with thick walls etc). My thinking is that I can use one express to extend the network downstairs and use another, directly above, to pickup and distribute the signal upstairs. Anyway, I haven't got anywhere near that far yet.

I am using the 'airport utility' to try and accomplish this. The steps I took were as follows:
Scan for "Scan for devices > Selected my express base station > Inputed password to protect settings > selected "Have existing network..." > Selected "I want airport express to wirelessly join..." > Selected "Extend the range..." > Selected network I wanted to extend.

The final step is where I ran into problems. After selecting the network I wanted to extend, I was asked for a password - as it is protected by WEP128. It just does not accept my WEP password and keeps popping up with "An error occurred joining the selected network, would you like to try again?".

I really do not know what to do to resolve this. Why wont it take my password? Any help would be great.

The annoying thing is that I already had the network set up fine (originally set up in Tiger) and it went down recently and I have struggled to get it up since (using Leopard now).

Thanks a lot.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Use WPA (instead of WEP) security on your entire network instead. That should work. The Airport line of routers like it better than WEP.

mrjarvie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Use WPA (instead of WEP) security on your entire network instead. That should work. The Airport line of routers like it better than WEP.

Many thanks for that. My password is now accepted.
Getting to this stage has reminded me what I had to do when I set up my wireless network some time ago. Am I correct in saying that I cannot simply extend the range of my wireless network (Buffalo WBMR-G54 router) to another room with one airport express? To do this I am required to use a further airport express connected to my router via ethernet in order to act as a 'base station', which can then be picked up and extended by my second airport express?

I hope this is clear enough. I am struggling to setup my ethernet express base station. Once I have this in place I think I will be okay.
Cheers.

Alan Taylor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
Mississauga
Many thanks for that. My password is now accepted.
Getting to this stage has reminded me what I had to do when I set up my wireless network some time ago. Am I correct in saying that I cannot simply extend the range of my wireless network (Buffalo WBMR-G54 router) to another room with one airport express? To do this I am required to use a further airport express connected to my router via ethernet in order to act as a 'base station', which can then be picked up and extended by my second airport express?

I hope this is clear enough. I am struggling to setup my ethernet express base station. Once I have this in place I think I will be okay.
Cheers.

This could be because your Buffalo router doesn't support wireless network extension...

mrjarvie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
This could be because your Buffalo router doesn't support wireless network extension...

I'm starting to thing my router may be the problem. The ethernet side of things doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks for all your help - it's new router time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.