Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlio2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Hello, i'm new to this forum and a fairly new user to the world of Mac.

I have a MacBook Pro and running on system 10.4.11. I've had my Mac coming up a year and generally not had any problems, but I have a random intermittent problem with google.

When I search for something in google recently it's been redirecting me to completely different sites. For example, if I searched for 'atonal film scores' and click on the amazon.com link to go to their search result it'll go to load it but then the address bar changes many millions of times to random addresses and will end up somewhere completely random or opening nothing at all.

I usually have to double click the link the guarantee that I get to the page I wanted.

Have I got a virus or something? I'm not the most clued up person when it comes to technical things.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you!

K

Edit: Sorry I forgot to specify, I am using Safari

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
First, you don't have a virus. There are no viruses at the present time that affect Macs. Second, when you hover over a link before you click it, do you look at the status bar at the bottom of the window to see where the link is pointing? Many times, sites will "spoof" a link, so that the text you click on says one thing, but the actual site is different. Try resetting Safari (assuming that's the browser you're using.... you didn't specify), clearing your cache and cookies, and try it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.