Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:59 AM   #1
stangdude22
macrumors member

Remote app make appletv crash

I love the new remote app, but since I have gotten it I have had my tv crash three times. Anyone else notice this?
stangdude22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:59 PM   #2
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

I am having huge issues with this. It is getting annoying as I have to wait forever for the ATV to reboot (sits on Apple logo for awhile).

I have really noticed this when switching between movies.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 02:40 AM   #3
NJuul
macrumors 6502

yeah, it happens to me too. So far I think it only happens when I'm browsing movies, but it is hugely annoying. Makes the remote app pretty useless.
I'm wondering if it only happens when browsing media streamed from the mac, as that is where all my movies are. Any input on this?
NJuul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:58 AM   #4
ansalmo
macrumors regular

Yup - I've had the remote software restart my iPhone several times, and had the tv restart earlier this week too. It's a nice idea for an app, but it seems that it was released too early with insufficient testing. Hopefully they'll release an update to it soon.
ansalmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 04:11 PM   #5
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

I just found out that it appears to be the ATV software and not the remote app. It crashed twice today while browsing and playing movies via the remote (little white one) and not using the remote app on my iPhone.

The thing is, it does not do a full restart, it just crashes, brings up the Apple Logo and launches back into the menus. It takes about 60 seconds to do this.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 01:09 AM   #6
sonictonic
macrumors 6502a

The latest Apple TV firmware is buggy as hell in my experience. I have my fingers crossed for an update soon, but I am trying not to think much about it because it upsets me this one even got out.

I made a post about another big problem with this version, and no one here even responded, but if you load up some video podcasts, you will notice unreliable alphabetization (not always alphabetized), missing blue dots to show new episodes unless you exit out of podcasts and then go back in, and also the description and time no longer shows for podcasts you only have ONE episode of (it instead says "contains one episode").

My suggestion?
http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html
sonictonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 07:51 AM   #7
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacaramac View Post
I just found out that it appears to be the ATV software and not the remote app. It crashed twice today while browsing and playing movies via the remote (little white one) and not using the remote app on my iPhone.

The thing is, it does not do a full restart, it just crashes, brings up the Apple Logo and launches back into the menus. It takes about 60 seconds to do this.
I have seen the same behavior, but only since the latest update which allowed for control via the remote app.

Obviously Apple is way overextended, and is bound for more and more problems like these. Complex systems have ways of interacting with one another.
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 01:00 PM   #8
gcmexico
macrumors 6502a

this is absolutely true...I noticed it right off the bat...the remote has caused my ATV to reboot at least 5 times...it's pis*ing me off!! great app but it's not working...has anyone also noticed that if you click on a video podcast on the remote app, it does not play the one u touch, for example if I click on 7/27/08 it will play the 7/25/08 video podcast...it's killing me!! I reinstalled the app but still does it
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:00 AM   #9
bradhs
macrumors member

Bump... iPhone 4, Apple TV, remote app = Apple TV will crash and iPhone loses WiFi, then requests the WiFi key to log back in but won't work until you disable WiFi then enable it again. Any ideas?
bradhs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:28 AM   #10
fpnc
macrumors 68000

I don't use the remote app any longer (or very infrequently) because it did seem to cause the Apple TV to misbehave (crashes on the Apple TV sometimes preceded by very sluggish performance). However, I really don't know whether this still happens with the newest remote app since I pretty much gave up on the app several months ago. In any case, I don't recall it ever causing problems on the iPhone -- just on the Apple TV itself.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:43 AM   #11
bradhs
macrumors member

I really like the app, espcially when I'm in a different room and listening to music. If I'm playing music the sound will start stuttering then it will reset and at the same I'll check my iPhone and it will have lost WiFi. The only way to get WiFi back on the iPhone is to disable it and then renable it. I think it might have to do with the way the iPhone disconnects from the Apple TV after not using the remote for a longer period of time. Just a thought, still trying to narrow it down.
bradhs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater