SQLiteDB Syncing - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Jul 15, 2008, 03:53 PM   #1
soundz
macrumors newbie

SQLiteDB Syncing

Hi,

I would like to know if SQLiteDB provided with the iPhone SDK provides some facility to sync data from a database server to the SQLiteDB.

Specifically, this is our scenario. We have a web application that's running on Oracle. Can we sync data from Oracle to the iPhone over the cellular network? If not Oracle, how about MySQL, MSSQL, etc...? Are there any 3rd party solutions?

If there's no sync'ing technologies currently available, would it be feasible to write our own sync'ing program?

Thanks,

Jimmy
soundz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:09 PM   #2
detz
macrumors 65816

Depends on how much data you have going back and forth but it seem that writing your own would be the best approach so you only sync the stuff you need. Shouldn't be too hard.
detz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3
ayasin
macrumors 6502

Database syncing is NOT trivial if you want a 2 way sync. If it's just one way and the server always wins it's easy enough, but when you have a two way sync you have to consider collisions and that's where it becomes complex. It's best if you can find something to do this for you, but I don't know of anything off the top of my head that does it. You should also consider what interface you're going to use to manage collisions and such if you need to...
ayasin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 02:15 AM   #4
cleverapps
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundz View Post
Hi,

I would like to know if SQLiteDB provided with the iPhone SDK provides some facility to sync data from a database server to the SQLiteDB.

Specifically, this is our scenario. We have a web application that's running on Oracle. Can we sync data from Oracle to the iPhone over the cellular network? If not Oracle, how about MySQL, MSSQL, etc...? Are there any 3rd party solutions?

If there's no sync'ing technologies currently available, would it be feasible to write our own sync'ing program?

Thanks,

Jimmy
EntropyDB (http://code.google.com/p/entropydb/) has a replication mechanism but not for SQL servers like Oracle.
cleverapps is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming