Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Hi, I'm in the US and am looking for an Exchange host. One person, small business. Looking for a good price and reliability. Thanks!

timmciglobal

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
Why not use me.com and just get a web hosting service to foward your mail from a domain name of your choice?

Tim

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
Hmm I tried themessagecenter, sherweb, and 4smartphone. Ended up going with Sherweb. I can't say I really care for the support though. They answered my questions, but didn't really give me instructions on how to set up what I wanted. If you need to forward email from an address to more than one address it's not possible. Just FYI.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I use link2exchange for work and I'm thinking about adding a personal account through them--MobileMe is sucking right now and I don't know they'll ever get it fixed. Whatever you do...DON'T use MobileMe.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
We use intermedia (http://www.intermedia.net) - I've found them good value and very, very reliable. Plus they run on a month by month basis so no long term commitments are required.
They host on Exchange 2007 and you also get a free license for Outlook or Entourage with every mailbox :)

**DISCLOSURE**
We were so impressed with them that we are actually resellers now. However, I would recommend if you want to give them a try you go direct to them so there's no indication of conflict of interest, etc.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
We use intermedia (http://www.intermedia.net) - I've found them good value and very, very reliable. Plus they run on a month by month basis so no long term commitments are required.
They host on Exchange 2007 and you also get a free license for Outlook or Entourage with every mailbox :)

Whoa - $17.85 per month for 300 MB? Seems a little high. 4 Smartphones is like $11 something for 1GB.

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
Whoa - $17.85 per month for 300 MB? Seems a little high. 4 Smartphones is like $11 something for 1GB.

Do not use 4Smartphones. I've been trying to get them to refund my "trial" money for the past few days and have not received any response from them.

Sherweb is 3GB for 8.85 a month.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

I'd agree they're not the cheapest but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you're an individual who just wants a personal e-mail address they can use with push e-mail then there are probably much cheaper and more suitable.
If you're a business looking to host your entire company e-mail somewhere with full backup, disclaimers, e-mail retention compliance, etc then the prices do tend to start creeping up and more expensive offerings may be what you want.
We have small business customers who spend in excess of $300 a month for e-mail hosting because it works out much cheaper than trying to buy and maintain an Exchange server themselves. As I said, it all depends on what you're looking for

jungbo00

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Do not look to the cheap one, because you may be stuck with the bad quality. i had lots of experience about it...

I have been using Hostway... it looks quite decent..

jkorchok

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
Sherweb crummy with Macs

I'm still searching for a good Exhange provider. I tried Sherweb, but every time I opened Entourage 2008, I got a "Root certificate" error message and couldn't get email until I clicked OK. They could have fixed this at their end, but couldn't be bothered. They don't know much about Macs and wouldn't help me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.