Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Digiprog
macrumors newbie

Angry I have turned my IPhone into a brick

I have updated my Iphone I bought from Ebay some monthes ago & now its stuffed.
Anyone out there that can fix it if I send it to them please.??
Digiprog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:33 PM   #2
cazlar
macrumors 6502

What did you do to break it? It is very hard to actually "brick" an iPhone, most things can be solved with a restore.
cazlar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Digiprog
macrumors newbie

Angry Brick Ihone

I updated it to Ver 2.0 & it has failed it shows a picture of a USB on the Iphone screen & the PC shows insert a valid SIM the Iphone was made in the USA & I guess was hacked to work on any sim updating it has wrecked it.
Digiprog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 04:16 AM   #4
a27
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiprog View Post
I updated it to Ver 2.0 & it has failed it shows a picture of a USB on the Iphone screen & the PC shows insert a valid SIM the Iphone was made in the USA & I guess was hacked to work on any sim updating it has wrecked it.
If you are in the UK:
Insert an O2 SIM.
Attempt to activate it.
a27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 05:08 AM   #5
ttech10
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sounds like you bought an unlocked iPhone and then tried to update... which you should never do with jailbroken/unlocked iPhones without restoring it first.

I know someone else that accidentally did this, but I have no clue if he ever got it working again. I suggest taking a look at these two links. I did a quick Google search and this could have a small chance of working... though I don't know for sure.

http://limitededitioniphone.com/bric...-steps-to-fix/
http://iphoneindia.gyanin.com/2008/0...-the-baseband/
ttech10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 05:30 AM   #6
splee73
macrumors newbie

Contact the guy who runs this website http://www.hackthatphone.com/. He offers a repair service as well as the Step-by-Step guides for hacking/unlocking your iPhone. You should be able to recover it using one of the recovery guides.
splee73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:04 AM   #7
tardis56
macrumors member

Quote:
I have updated my Iphone I bought from Ebay some monthes ago & now its stuffed.
Anyone out there that can fix it if I send it to them please.??
Try this:
Press both top (power button) and bottom button together (if you just have the Apple logo displayed). Once you do this keep them held down for 30 seconds at least - it will cycle once then the screen will go blank.

Plug in USB lead (not via a router or keyboard but into the PC itself). Don't power iPhone up again but hold the bottom button down and plug it directly into the dock or lead at the same time.
Keep it held down until the USB symbol on the phone comes up - it may have to reinstall Version 2.0 and restore form backup but that did the trick for me!
tardis56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:36 AM   #8
a27
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
Sounds like you bought an unlocked iPhone and then tried to update... which you should never do with jailbroken/unlocked iPhones without restoring it first.
I did updated from a jailbroken and unlocked unit without restoring and I'm on 2.0.
a27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting