Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theotherrogue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Alright so I DID get around to applying my new NLU Products BodyGuardz a little sooner than expected.

I'm going to do a mini-review, but this is only part I of the review because I will require more time to see how the protection actually "settles" into place. (I'll answer questions after I'm done with the whole review)

REVIEW - NLU PRODUCTS BodyGuardz for iPhone 3G

PART I

Recommendation: Apply your screen/body protection when you aren't going to be using your iPhone for a while - like right before you go to bed. You'll want the protection to sit overnight after application, before you start using your iPhone.

NLU provides nice packaging. Included are 2 screen protectors, 2 body protectors, 1 bottle of application spray liquid, 1 microfiber cloth, 1 hard plastic squegee, installation instructions and some small promotional cards.

SEE ATTACHED PHOTOS

Important pre-application tip: use the application spray! Use lots of it! Make sure you liberally spray your fingers before pulling off the stickers, and then spray liberally on the sticky part of the stickers themselves. Your precious iPhone is actaully pretty well sealed off against liquid damage (after all, that one guy dropped his in a bowl of cereal and milk with no problems)

The liquid will help you move the stickers around a little bit, because you DO NOT want them to immediately stick on contact. You are not perfect and you will not get the stickers perfectly aligned without the liquid. Even if you run out of liquid, it is a simple mixture of water and baby shampoo, so you could easily make more.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 231

theotherrogue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
PART 2

My advice: Apply the screen protector first. It is much easier to do and will provide you with good practice for the much more difficult back part.

Make sure your screen is completely clean before you do anything, and wash your hands VERY WELL.
Use a lot of application liquid, and go for it.

The cutouts for the speaker and home button are PERFECT. They leave just a little bit of "breathing room", but it looks great. I still have some "bubbles" present after squeegeeing (I use my fingers, not the plastic squeegee), but NLU assures these will go away after some time. I'll post more pictures after it is completely dried and settled - so don't make any final judgments yet.

The screen protector provides perfect coverage all the way to the sides of the black-glass area, leaving ever so small a gap (which looks nice).

MORE TO COME LATER (probably tomorrow). Be patient.
cool.gif

Attachments

• IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    369.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 388

Joey7071

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
looks to better than InvisibleSHIELD, please post more pics I loved my InvisibleSHIELD on my first gen iPhone but this really looks as nice if not better can't wait to see the back on it to see how it fits on it.

theotherrogue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
PART 3

My initial installation of the back film has proved to be slightly difficult (thank goodness they provide 2 sets of film for your money).

It seems like the film is cut perfectly, wrapping all the way around the back of the iPhone 3G, and covering all the way over the side of the chrome frame. All of the cutouts are perfectly shaped (leaving room for the headphone port, sleep/wake button, vibrate button, volume control, camera, dock connector, and speakers). The first time, I lined up the film based on the location of the camera cutout, but it seems like I got a little sideways with the application from that point.

The corners seem to wrap to be cut very well (see the cutout diagram in my first post), however, the slightest deviation from the correct positioning will leave some of them looking a little creased.

I will try application #2 tomorrow and try to get it a little more straight. I will post more photos after I do.

By the way, I think the material/finish of the BodyGuardz is perfect. The screen has the same shine and glossy look as a naked screen would, and the plastic back retains its fully glossy finish. The touch sensitivity is unaffected. Honestly, one you get the bubbles out of the film, I think the film will look truly invisible.

More coming soon...

kmay37

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I received mine fairly quickly, ordered it on the 10 and got it on the 13th, with the free shipping that they offered. Only i can't use it yet because my iphone screen isn't flush and is off-set and i can see light between the screen and the side of the phone...which sucks, so I am waiting till i can return my old one and get a new one, I can't wait!

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Awesome! I ordered mine and they shipped immediately. It's on the way.
Great job on centering it on the screen. Looking forward to your good detailed pics. Especially that pesky bezel.

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2003
Applied mine today. I only applied the back as I have the Power Support crystal film on the screen. I got all corners to lay flat and be positioned perfectly but I have a ton of bubbles. Hopefully they work themselves out.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
wallcrawler - could you post pics? Or, if you have a black phone, does the skin create a situation of glossy, non-smudgedness?

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
WOW, I am impressed. The front installation is perfect. How did you do that? I have installed these and it ain't easy.

The back, as you said, is even harder. It doesn't slide as easily as you may think.

Good luck and more pics when you are done.

I used to think IS was the best, but I like the way this one is cut for the back.

Did you cover the front button? Is it a cutout or a single piece?

theotherrogue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Did you cover the front button? Is it a cutout or a single piece?

There is no home button protection included. I don't forsee this being a problem since the button is recessed. Unless your putting your phone in a pocket with coins/ keys (gasp!), it should never get scratched.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
Just place my order for bodyguardz.com and 5 min later received an email saying that it's been shipped. :) total turned out to be $22.45

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to more pics of the results. I ordered my BodyGuardz earlier this week after reading it had a cleaner look that other skins.

Hopefully, I can pick up an iPhone this weekend!

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
i just ordered this today... i couldn't wait any longer for fullbodyfilms.com to get there stuff together... i chose the free shipping option, any chance it gets here this week?

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
i just ordered this today... i couldn't wait any longer for fullbodyfilms.com to get there stuff together... i chose the free shipping option, any chance it gets here this week?

Maybe or early next week. I ordered mine Sunday night and it shipped the next day. I just checked the tracking number and it's in my state already. I'm hoping to get it today or tomorrow the latest.

w...b

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
subscribed

wow that looks nice. so how exactly will the bubbles be removed over time? and after say a couple of months or years would the corners start to lift? im looking to get this and keep my iphone in the Vaja pouch.

bmonster

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
I just got mine in the mail but I'm waiting for pics in this thread of how it looks on the back :D

Also, does anyone know where the water sensor is (the little sticker that turns red and voids your warranty... the old iphone it was in the bottom of the headphone jack but I haven't noticed it on the new one.)

brandonzar

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I ordered my bodyguardz film for my iPhone 3G yesterday and it arrived today! even with the free shipping! I'll be applying it this evening and I'll let you all know how it went.

theotherrogue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
PART 4 (Final)

What an excellent product we have here.

NLU shipped my BodyGuardz on the day the iPhone 3G was released. I was very impressed with their ability to get the product off the manufacturing line so quickly, but I was also very skeptical about how good a "1st generation" body protection product would turn out. There are some things they could improve though...

DISCLAIMER: The installation of the back shield is the most tedious and annoying process i've ever gone through for a gadget. You will need to set aside AT LEAST ONE HOUR to do the back shield installation. No, I'm not kidding.

My first attempt at the back shield was very poor for a couple of reasons. 1) I thought it wouldn't take "that long" and I was impatient, 2) I didn't use enough of the spray solution.

So here's what I did the second time around:
-Turned on my shower and filled up my bathroom with steam. This gets all the dust particles out of the air, and having more 'moist' air will help keep the back from immediately sticking.
-Washed off my hands a lot.
-Turned off my iPhone and cleaned it a lot. Used water and a very modest amount of hand soap on a small dust-free cloth.

Following all of NLU instructions, I liberally sprayed my fingers and the sticky part of the shield with the provided spray. You need to look carefully at the layout of the sticker before you pull if from the backing. It's not easy, and you could easily stretch it out in the process... so be patient and plan it out. Use lots of spray!!

Lining up the back shield is NOT EASY, but it is cut nearly perfectly. I suggest paying close attention to the camera cutout and the volume/silent cutouts. My shield was cut precisely to the size of the volume switch - there is not breathing room so pay close attention to it.

You will need to press the shield down in the middle and work your way toward the outsides. VERY SLOWLY. If you use enough solution and work slowly, you should have no air/water bubble problems.

The corners are a horrible thing to deal with. You need a lot of time to "work" them down. They are not very sticky with the solution applied, so you need to press them back down again, and again, and again, about a hundred time before they completely stick. . . . . After you finally get them to stick down (paying close attention to their positioning on the chrome sides), you will want to use a hair-dryer to help them "form" into place. Do thins for a few minutes and you should get them to stick down nicely.

Pros:
-You get two shields in the package. You will probably mess up the first time, so you need them
-Wraps perfectly around all the holes of your iPhone (dock connetor, speakers, volume, headphones, etc..)
-The clarity is perfect. Matches the iPhone's gloss perfectly - you really can't see it except at the corners.
-Feels the same as a "naked" iPhone. Although the back seems a little more "sticky" to prevent it slipping out of your hand. Very nice.
-Price is a steal compared to competitors (who usually provide only 1 shield for the same price)

Cons:
-Installation is an extremely tedious process.
-The corners are not completely covered by the cutouts (see close up shots)

Pictures below
You may see 'dust" in the photos, but it is not becasue of the shield, just a dusty environment in which I took the photos. It really looks the same as a naked iPhone.
The screen clarity is perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    478.9 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    534.7 KB · Views: 927
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    469 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    606.1 KB · Views: 764

theotherrogue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
More photos

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    533.3 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    552.9 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    764.5 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 380

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
thanks for the review and the pics... now i'll i need is the skin and my iphone to arrive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.