Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsm2gst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I will be exchanging for the 6th time for a iPhone 3G 16GB white. Here's a list of reasons for my returns.

1. Loose ringer/switch
2. Dead pixel
3. Smudge under the screen
4. Dust under the screen
5. Backlight was going through the left side of the bezel.
6. Dust under the screen

Anyone else experience this?

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Geesh, shortage of phones and picky people like you using up 6 of them. You are just too concerned with minute details. Give it up and look somewhere else. Every time a hyped product is released this happens.

My screen is a little more yellow than my other phone.... SO THE FREAK WHAT?!?!?!

Ash

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I will be exchanging for the 6th time for a iPhone 3G 16GB white. Here's a list of reasons for my returns.

1. Loose ringer/switch
2. Dead pixel
4. Dust under the screen
6. Dust under the screen

The only one they should have replaced it for is the first one.

They are under no obligation to give you a new one for one dead pixel.

I agree with getting what you paid for, but thats silly, and you may well push the price up for the rest of us, just like the OMGZ MY MBP IS BENT BY 1MM !!1! group.

Seidoger

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Damn

That almost sounds unreal. What weird "defects" and all to the same guy. Either you spent 48h looking for defects, or I have 1/2 or more of those "problems" on mine and didn't notice/care..

There is one obvious manufacturing defect I have though: the bezel on the right isn't flush with the faceplate, it's extruded a little. Only quite annoying when dragging an icon to the next home screen page!

I'll have to have that looked at, but I doubt there are any black 16gb left in stock where I got mine..

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
The only one they should have replaced it for is the first one.

They are under no obligation to give you a new one for one dead pixel.

I agree with getting what you paid for, but thats silly, and you may well push the price up for the rest of us, just like the OMGZ MY MBP IS BENT BY 1MM !!1! group.

For the amount Apple charges for their products, they'd better be flawless when I take them out of the box. I don't see anything wrong in returning the product if it's bent ... even by 1mm. Because if it is, then Apple should not charge $2000+ for it.

Learn your rights as a consumer. It's because if people like you that companies like Apple get away with substandard products and still make huge profits.

bobbba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
For the amount Apple charges for their products, they'd better be flawless when I take them out of the box. I don't see anything wrong in returning the product if it's bent ... even by 1mm. Because if it is, then Apple should not charge $2000+ for it.

Learn your rights as a consumer. It's because if people like you that companies like Apple get away with substandard products and still make huge profits.

Don't agree, why care about these minor defects? After a few weeks of use it's going to have smudges and scratches anyway.

Repeatedly returning the products for such minor reasons is waste of everyones time and money not to mention the environmental impact.

phildexter

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2004

1. Loose ringer/switch
2. Dead pixel
4. Dust under the screen
6. Dust under the screen

I have to I agree, even a dead pixel is completely unexceptable (regardless of apples policy) and I've argued over such things with them and won. I've been a long time apple user and thankfully only had a few problems in the past. Some people work extremely hard for their money and when you spend the kind of money apple ask for and based on their reputation you expect a product to be flawless. You need to be happy with the purchase you've thrown your money at. The more we put up with second rate products the worse companies will get. Have some respect for yourself people.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I hope you have a job where being such an anal nit pays well.

Personally if I had to return something twice I would not get a third replacement.

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Quit acting like Apple is charging a premium for this phone, same price as most other high end smart phones. Every product will have some variations, especially electronics. Does it work well? Function properly? If you are in search of a perfect ANYTHING, you are making your own life miserable.

I drive a nice Acura, I went in for an oil change and there was a dude crying like a whiny baby because his 2008 MDX had a weird rattle at over 65mph. He said he had brought it in 5 times and they had not "fixed" it. I told him my car had the same problem but I fixed it myself. He asked "How?" My reply, "I turned the radio up."

ash =o)

kmay37

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I too have the backlight coming on the left side of my iphone between the screen and chrome! Glad I wasn't the only one, although it looks like you have had more problems...i take it you have returned all of these at an apple store?

higgalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
I drive a nice Acura, I went in for an oil change and there was a dude crying like a whiny baby because his 2008 MDX had a weird rattle at over 65mph. He said he had brought it in 5 times and they had not "fixed" it. I told him my car had the same problem but I fixed it myself. He asked "How?" My reply, "I turned the radio up."

GOLD - That's awesome.
Some people just need to stop being picky and suck it up, or go and buy something else.

soniquev8

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2004
I've had 2 defects on my iPhones so far:

1. A hair/fiber between glass and screen - bound to happen in a factory... but still. (Exchanged for #2)
2. One of the screw holes on the bottom has minor damage around it - I don't really care about this one, except I'm concerned that if I ever need service under Applecare they might accuse me of voiding my warranty by opening the iPhone.

Probably going to ask a genius about 2 this weekend.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I've returned 11 of these damn phones.

They all have these finger prints on the front that get in the way of watching a video or movie! Dammit Apple! Sheesh. I pay all this money, and someone touched it!? No excuse.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
I've returned 11 of these damn phones.

They all have these finger prints on the front that get in the way of watching a video or movie! Dammit Apple! Sheesh. I pay all this money, and someone touched it!? No excuse.

Well, im on my 3rd iphone as of now.
1. vibrate/ring switch was broken and had a sharp left side edge.
2.negative black, Whole right side was sharp and wasnt lined up right
3.negative black screen is all i see so far, havent really added apps or played with it much.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I've had 2 defects on my iPhones so far:

1. A hair/fiber between glass and screen - bound to happen in a factory... but still. (Exchanged for #2)
2. One of the screw holes on the bottom has minor damage around it - I don't really care about this one, except I'm concerned that if I ever need service under Applecare they might accuse me of voiding my warranty by opening the iPhone.

Probably going to ask a genius about 2 this weekend.

Well, im on my 3rd iphone as of now.
1. vibrate/ring switch was broken and had a sharp left side edge.
2.negative black, Whole right side was sharp and wasnt lined up right
3.negative black screen is all i see so far, havent really added apps or played with it much.

I know sarcasm doesn't work well on a keyboard, but just FYI.. I was being sarcastic. The finger prints are mine and can be wiped off. :)

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Quit acting like Apple is charging a premium for this phone, same price as most other high end smart phones. Every product will have some variations, especially electronics. Does it work well? Function properly? If you are in search of a perfect ANYTHING, you are making your own life miserable.

The 2nd part is great. And the last sentence is so true. My MBP came with a small nick from the factory. Did I return it? No. I think it adds character to the machine.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Acuras are known rattle traps. I don't blame people for getting pissed... especially the TL's. They rattle like crazy.

With cars, if I have some loud rattles or squeaks, you bet I'll have 'em fix it. That's what warranties are for. Apples and Oranges to the iPhone thing IMO. I buy nice cars and expect quality and service both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.