Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 16, 2008, 05:54 AM   #1
cherbert
macrumors member

Patchstick compatible USB drives?

Hello,

I have just ordered a 40gb Apple TV from the Apple UK Store. I am very interested in getting the latest Patchstick software (when a 2.1 compatible version is released!).

Can someone direct me to a suitable USB stick that is known to be fully compatible with the Apple TV?

Thank you!
cherbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:21 AM   #2
chas0001
macrumors 6502a

I used my 1GB first generation iPod shuffle. Worked a treat. First check that the patchstick method you use is compatible with the latest version of the AppleTV software, which is currently 2.1 (not many are but should be very soon)

Check out these websites they may help select the correct USB drive in their forums:

PAID FOR : www.atvflash.com
DIY : iClarified
PAID FOR : www.atvmod.com
PAID FOR : http://www.atvpatch.com/ -- Currently not available because of a developer bust up over money.
chas0001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:36 AM   #3
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

There is not really a "positive" list, but it is known that "Data Traveller" from Kingston and in general "Sandisk" USB drives have issues being recognized by aTV.
The ones that we use are only available in North America.
I would suggest, you start with a size between 512 MB and 1 GB, never more than 2 GB.
PM me if you need more info.
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:49 AM   #4
chas0001
macrumors 6502a

Some people have reported a SD/MMC Card working in a USB SD/MMC reader. As Tom1971 stated, there is not really a definitive list. I would however recommend using a stick/memory card of at least 512MB.
chas0001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:27 AM   #5
ayale99
macrumors regular

I would steer clear of 1gb SanDisk drives. I didn't have any luck with the first one I used. I believe 512mb is recommended. I ended up buying a generic 512 at my local drug store and got it to work just fine.

Good luck.
ayale99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Gee
macrumors 65816

I used a 2GB Kingston one and it worked fine. Remember to hook up your AppleTV to t'internet with a cable rather than wifi when it's patching - mine got stuck half way until I did this.

By the way, if you're hoping to use Couch Surfer to watch BBC iplayer on your TV, then don't get too excited. It works, but only in the small window within the iPlayer page. If you try to go full screen, couch surfer crashes.
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:26 PM   #7
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
I used a 2GB Kingston one and it worked fine. Remember to hook up your AppleTV to t'internet with a cable rather than wifi when it's patching - mine got stuck half way until I did this.
That is only necessary for some patchsticks. Others work without Internet access during the Patching process.
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:23 AM   #8
crotalus99
macrumors regular

I got a sony 1Gb at Target on sale a while back for $10 and it has worked well for 2 updates with atvflash.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:07 PM   #9
gatorback
macrumors newbie

Error: Could not write to the USB device (Code: 87)! The parameter is incorrect.

Here are some that do NOT work (87 Error):

* 2GB Sandisk Cruzer (WalMart)
* 8GB Centon Datastick Pro (CompUSA)
* 256MB USB Drive of unknown brand and pedigree
* 2GB USB Drive issued at a job fair (unknown brand and pedigree)

My ATV arrives tomorrow. So I am hoping to have this squared away before then.

I am assuming that I am trying to write a ~240 MB .dmg file to the USB drive. Any guidance or suggestions are appreciated.

UPDATE: I restored a (715MB) .hfs (2.hfs) file to the 8GB Centon USB memory stick. No errors. Is there a test procedure that can be performed to verify that this will patch my ATV and zorch it?

UPDATE: The .hfs image can be read from my friend's Intel Mac. The image label is 'OSBOOT'. I reimaged the drive with the 'SSH_Launcher.img' file, whose label is 'PATCHSTICK', when plugged into the Mac.

UPDATE: ATV arrived today!!! Unfortunately I need to get cables to hook it up to the projector. Fortunately, i found a youtube video that depicts an ATV unit undergoing the patchstick process. Now I know what a success will be.

Last edited by gatorback; Jan 15, 2011 at 01:58 AM.
gatorback is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater