Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
currently, i use splashID to store all my user names and passwords. it works pretty well and splashID requires a password to access the program. however, from what i've read about file magnet, i'd prefer to use this and store a word doc of all my passwords on file magnet. my question is this...can you set a password on file magnet that, when you launch the app, it prompts the user for it? this way, if the phone is stolen/lost, no one can gain access to my important docs.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
AFAIK, no. I just checked on my phone.

be sure to check out the 1password blog. they have a iphone version coming out that will also include a web browser for auto-filling forms and passwords.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
AFAIK, no. I just checked on my phone.

be sure to check out the 1password blog. they have a iphone version coming out that will also include a web browser for auto-filling forms and passwords.

ok, what about this.....

could i put my pswrds in a word doc and pswrd protect the word doc file. then if i sync all my files to file magnet and someone tries to access that doc, it'll prompt for a pswd?

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
ok, what about this.....

could i put my pswrds in a word doc and pswrd protect the word doc file. then if i sync all my files to file magnet and someone tries to access that doc, it'll prompt for a pswd?

Yes. but, I am not sure how word passwords work. Currently in FM , you can view files, but have not tried a word doc and not one that had a password.

here's another solution though that when it ships seems to have better word support.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/14/turn-your-iphone-into-a-wireless-drive-with-datacase/

I
n case you want to view those files you've moved to your iPhone, DataCase lets you read Microsoft Office, PDF, and text files. You can create up to 16 different volumes on your iPhone, each of which can be set up with read/write/browse permissions. Volumes can be made invisible to protect data from unauthorized people or iPhone snatchers.

but be sure to check out 1password. it will sync with all your passwords on your mac. it is a killer app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.