Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
For those of you who get into Steve-withdrawl between MacWorld Expo SF and NY...

Here's the iPod press conference with Jobs speaking and introducing the iPod.

He details Apple's "Digital Hub" strategy and claims the most important compnents of this strategy are: the Digital Camera, Digital Camcorder, DVD Player, and portable music players. 

gerfnit

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
A missing segment of Apple's pie...

Yes, Apple has covered music, movies and photos as categories of content for digital devices. However, they missed one category of digital device and one data type:

PDAs and plain old alphanumeric data!

Shame on them, inventors of the acronym! Forgetting their offspring!

So, Apple, when are you going to add the fifth segment to your Apple strategy pie? More importantly, when will you notice how threadbare your support of PDAs is? And, when will you step up to cover plain old data like you have music?

iPIM? iNewt? I don't care what you call it. Just do it!

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I don't think (nor does Apple I am certain) that it would be wise to jump into the PDA scene at present, for Apple. I would not hold my breath.

blakespot

gerfnit

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
Apple support of PDAs

Everybody gets this wrong!

Okay, so Apple shouldn't build a PDA. Fine.

But, just like iTunes 1.x, how about supporting those third-party PDAs better? Then, maybe I'd consider buying a Pocket 2K or a Linux PDA to interoperate with my Mac. Right now, I don't have that choice or opportunity.

So, if Apple wants to fill that fifth slice with iPDA software, that lets me sync an iPaq from Compaq or a Yopy from G-Mate, I'll be very happy indeed.

And they won't have to design a circuit board in the process.

Mirus

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
MN
My Visor works quite will syncing to my Powerbook, although I wish Palm would hurry up and update the Palm desktop to OS X...

One thing they forgot was audio-in. I used to have a portable DAT (Sony D-100) for recording sound samples. Maybe a firewire mic jack?

gerfnit

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
Choice of PDAs!

I don't want a Palm or a Visor or a Clie. Their stupid Graffiti language is the exact opposite of Apple philosophy. Instead of adapting to me, I have to adapt to the machine's version of writing. No way!

I'll continue using my Newton 2100 until I can use a PDA that recognizes my handwriting.

Please notice that I didn't mention any of the Palm OS based handhelds in my previous message.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Well in a few days Mac users will be able to use win ce, and pocket pc devices. Information Appliance Associates is working on a sync program that will run on OS 9 and OS X. Their website is
http://pocketmac.net/
I rather use a pocket pc than a palm OS handheld.

gerfnit

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
Integration Uber Alles!

Yes, IAA's PocketMac will be a solution to a long-standing problem. Not that I'm looking forward to regressing to a PocketPC 2K from my MessagePad 2100, and at a cost of about $500!

However, if you examine the iPod/iMovie 2.x relationship, it is sympatico -- not only does iMovie know how to download to the iPod, but it is claimed that the iPod knows things about iMovie as well.

This will not be the case for PocketMac, where the Pocket 2K device will actually believe it's syncing with a PC.

And, as far as I know, PocketMac isn't rolling out a solution for Linux PDAs like the Agenda or Yopy or the new Sharp unit or ...

You see, the -gap- to be filled is more than just a synch program, if Apple's statements about the iPod and iMovie are true.

And Apple never lies, does it?!?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Where are the QT Midi Device Impruvments?

Well, Apple is creating almost a new market. They want the computer to cntrol the entire house startin for the multimedia part.

The iPot is good, but it really need to have audio imput, that would really be something. I have a Tascam DA-P1 portable Dat ($1400) machine and I really would like to switch it for a iPod if this one had audio imput. At leats people with PC's could do something with it.

I really would like to see an Apple PDA, I've been wating for one for years. I preffer to carry my Pismo than a PDA made for some one else.

Apple is creating a new market with that filosophy of things around your computer.

What Apple have to do is to impruve the Quick Time Midi Sounds, they are terrible. At list to create a 10Megs downlable option for musicians.

Would be cool to play directly from the controller to the computer without any other midi device other than the midi interface.

[Edited by mymemory on 10-30-2001 at 07:46 PM]

Matthé

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2001
Firewire>audio input

would it be that difficult to make a firwire plug with an audio input plug on the other side? surely this must be possible

Timbuktu

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2001
Digital hub = games

Originally posted by Macrumors
For those of you who get into Steve-withdrawl between MacWorld Expo SF and NY...

Here's the iPod press conference with Jobs speaking and introducing the iPod.

He details Apple's "Digital Hub" strategy and claims the most important compnents of this strategy are: the Digital Camera, Digital Camcorder, DVD Player, and portable music players. 

He didn't only forget PDAs, he also forgot something more important and something Mac never has - games. For home users, games emerges as one of the most compelling reasons for people to upgrade their PCs. If Apple is going to create a digital hub, it is not only going against PC makers, but also against Sony with its PS2, and Microsoft with its Xbox.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
i have to admit something. at first i thought the iPod was a bit of a joke. but now that i've had time to digest, i've changed my mind.

1. as a 5 gig firewire drive alone, i imagine using this to bring work home with me instead of using zip disks... etc. this is my 1st choice of use to be honest.

2. being able to take this thing into the apple store and snag apps is a possibility i suppose - if you bring the firewire cable with you.

3. the ability to put a ton of audio on this is a bonus in my opinion.

4. ten hours on a 1 hour charge is very nice.

now things i'd like to see added (being a realist):

a. add an audio input
b. somekind of digital photo snagging feature would be great (clean my dig. camera off)
c. better audio output - mic. jack doesn't cut it.
d. font choice for display & 3rd party fonts (hack)
e. onboard graphical eq!!
f. color display (pseduo-aqua) <-- would rule. make it thicker if it's gonna draw more juice (battery)

i am thinking about slapping the $400 down... but man, when is 2.0 slated? iTunes2 could be really nice. Maybe i'll visit the apple store and see this thing work in person to see if it can sell me. otherwise i'm holding out for the handspring treo.

tubescan7777

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2001
iApps

Apple has realesed a iApp for almost everything but photos

Movies = iMovie
Music = iTunes
Dvd Burning = iDvd
Photos = ?

Steve Jobs said at the iPod realese that the 4 main catagoeres are music, movies, dvd's, and photos thay had an iApp for all of them except photos for that thay just should OS X. Mabye Apple will realse a photo editor that simplifies the whole procces. You know thay won't do a camera but mabey thay will do a photo editor could be coming soon. I think a photoshop LE on starariods would be cool. with apples Easy interfaces and easy use it might be sucseesful. I have no clue if you have an idea of apples next softwear product post it.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Re: iApps

Originally posted by tubescan7777
Apple has realesed a iApp for almost everything but photos

Steve Jobs said at the iPod realese that the 4 main catagoeres are music, movies, dvd's, and photos thay had an iApp for all of them except photos for that thay just should OS X. Mabye Apple will realse a photo editor that simplifies the whole procces. You know thay won't do a camera but mabey thay will do a photo editor could be coming soon. I think a photoshop LE on starariods would be cool. with apples Easy interfaces and easy use it might be sucseesful. I have no clue if you have an idea of apples next softwear product post it.

Man, where you from? your english is worst than mine.

I do not think editing a picture would be a big hit. You can do it in Word, in Power Point, Photoshop. I know there is not a siple aplication but there may be a share ware to do that in a few steps.

What Apple should be doing (I repeat) is impruving the sounds of the Quick Time Midi Device. I have an Atari 512 ST that sounds better than my G4.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
All the apps you mention are fairly expensive...Photoshop, powerpoint, word...whereas all the Apple iTunes, iDVD, iMovie come free with the machine or as a download. FREE is the key here. Also the iWhatevers are all designed to be extremely intuitive and easy to use for real results.
iPhoto has been rumored for a while and the biggest debate about it so far has been how badly it will piss off Adobe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.