Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
So apparently many 3rd party accessories don't work with iPhone 3G at the moment. Post the name of your 3rd party accessories and whether they do or don't work in 4 ways: Syncing, charging audio playback via 30 pin connector, and an Incompatibility Message . I'll try to maintain a list.

Name-------------------------------------------Sync---------------------Charge---------------------Audio------Message
Alpine iDA-X001 iPod / media receiver--------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
Alpine x100--------------------------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
Altec Lansing IM600-----------------------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[Yes]--------[ ? ]
Apple FireWire Power Adapter for iPod--------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[N/A]--------[ ? ]
Apple iPod Radio Remote-----------------------[N/A]--------------------[N/A]------------------------[No]---------[Yes]
Apple Universal dock---------------------------[Yes]---------------------[Yes]------------------------[ ? ]---------[ ? ]
Belkin iPod dock--------------------------------[Yes]---------------------[Yes]------------------------[ ? ]---------[Yes]
Griffin PowerJolt (w/ retractable USB)--------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[N/A]--------[Yes]
Belkin Tunesync--------------------------------[Yes]---------------------[Yes]------------------------[No]---------[No]
Blitzsafe Car/iPod interface--------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
Bose SoundDock--------------------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
Brandmotion iPod adapter for Ford Vehicles--[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
Griffin iTrip Autopilot---------------------------[N/A]---------------------[Yes]-----------------------[Yes]---------[No]
Griffin PowerJolt (w/ retractable USB)--------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[N/A]--------[Yes]
Griffin TuneJuice Power------------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[N/A]---------[Yes]
Harmond Drive+Play---------------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
iHome iH14D table radio/dock-----------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
iHome iH4B Alarm Clock-----------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
iHome iH6---------------------------------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[No]----------[Yes]
iHome iH8---------------------------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
iLuv i730 car kit (Bluetooth, FM, Charge)-----[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
JBL OnStage II----------------------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
Kenwood DDX812 Head Unit w/ iPod cable---[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
MacAlly FMcup----------------------------------[N/A]---------------------[Yes]-----------------------[Yes]----------[ ? ]
Monster iCarPlay Wireless 200 FM-------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
Monster iCarPlay Wireless (Plus)--------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
Onkyo iPod Dock--------------------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
Pioneer FH-P8000BT car stereo----------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
Sony ICF-C1iP Dock with Clock----------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
USA SPEC Honda iPod Interface---------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
XtremeMac | LUNA-----------------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]

bmonster

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Blitzsafe Car/iPod interface, Bose SoundDock & Altec Lansing IM600 play music but do not charge.

meglet

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Pioneer FH-P8000BT car stereo charges and plays, with the usual warning about an incompatible accessory from the iPhone.

Apple Universal iPod dock syncs and charges, haven't tried any audio/video output.

Belkin iPod dock syncs and charges, again with the incompatible accessory warning.

Both docks listed are plugged into my MacBook via USB for syncing and charging.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Apple FireWire Power Adapter for iPod - does not charge my iPhone 3G.

It came with the 10GB iPod (touch-wheel) and worked with my 8GB iPod touch.

w00tme

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
alpine ida-x001 usb connection plays and charges the 3G

(the full-speed cable does not charge the 3G)

meglet

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
whaaaaaat? mine doesnt charge????? does yours really? =/

Yes, mine charges. I did have a problem when I was using a Griffin iPod cable, I don't know if the cable went bad or just didn't work with my phone. I suspect it went bad, because it worked perfectly on the first part of my road trip, then failed for the trip back home. I switched to a spare Apple iPod cable that I had, and it now works perfectly.

USB extension cable from the back of the stereo, Apple iPod cable plugged into the extension cable, and then into the dock port of the iPhone.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I have the Alpine x100 and what I discovered today is that the audio from the apps flows through the USB with my iphone 3g.

So I can play Pandora radio through the head unit with just the USB connected! I just pause the Ipod playback and I still have access to the volume knob to adjust everything. I thought it was cool and I didn't know it was possible until I stumbled upon it.

Yes it charges too. BTW, the reason why some things do not charge the new iphone is that the new iphone doesn't allow charging via firewire and some older accessories were doing this instead of USB. Apple broke this capability in the new iphone

I read that somewhere, don't recall though.

UPDATE: Yes it does have that crazy message about incompatibility but I am so used to it now, it doesn't bother me. I just connect it up when I am in the garage and tell it No, and off I go.

keirnna

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2006
Japan
I am sure getting tired of this message:
2685570818_a89138656c.jpg

Every accessory I have tried so far is incompatible and all of these worked with the iPod Touch.
Monster iCarPlay Wireless Plus Power: N Audio: Y
Griffin TuneJuice Power: N Audo: N/A

keirnna

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2006
Japan
I have the Alpine x100 and what I BTW, the reason why some things do not charge the new iphone is that the new iphone doesn't allow charging via firewire and some older accessories were doing this instead of USB. Apple broke this capability in the new iphone
This has been broken for a while. I had several devices that wouldn't work with my iPod Touch and I replaced them all, now each of those doesn't work with my iPhone 3G.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Can someone explain why a simple car charger that works with the original iPhone won't work with the iPhone 3G? I found some on Monoprice, but it says it's not compatible with the iPhone 3G. The dock connector should be the same (I'm using a usb/dock cable from an old iPod Mini to connect my iPhone 3G and it works fine), so I can't figure out why it wouldn't work.

ponygurl

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
A few more to add to the list.

iHome iH14D table radio/dock
charges: yes :)
audio: yes
warning message about it not being compatible: yes

Sony ICF-C1iP Dock with Clock
charges: yes :)

JBL OnStage II:
charges: no :(

Brandmotion iPod adapter for Ford Vehicles
charges: no :(

REALLY tired of that warning message. :mad:

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
What a big oops! Guess I need to wait months before purchasing some iPhone 3G friendly speakers.

snagitseven

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Can someone explain why a simple car charger that works with the original iPhone won't work with the iPhone 3G? I found some on Monoprice, but it says it's not compatible with the iPhone 3G. The dock connector should be the same (I'm using a usb/dock cable from an old iPod Mini to connect my iPhone 3G and it works fine), so I can't figure out why it wouldn't work.

As has been reported all over the web, Apple discontinued use of the firewire pins for charging to USB only starting w/the 3G iPhone. Apple warned vendors quite awhile ago that they should move to USB charging for Apple devices but most vendors ignored the warning. Firewire utilizes 12v and is easier than down converting to the 5v of USB and may push more power for faster charging (?) but requires more space in the iPhone to implement.

Vendors may make a an apdapter avail but unknown how much or how large it would be. Prob will be easier to buy a new charger or combo FM transmitter.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I emailed iHome today about their iP47BR device and here is what I got from them:

Code:
Yes our iP47 is compatible with the new iPhone 3G.
Regards
Chee Ming

I emailed them back to ask if the message would appear since my current iPod alarm clock doesn't even charge or do audio for my new iPhone 3G.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
As has been reported all over the web, Apple discontinued use of the firewire pins for charging to USB only starting w/the 3G iPhone. Apple warned vendors quite awhile ago that they should move to USB charging for Apple devices but most vendors ignored the warning. Firewire utilizes 12v and is easier than down converting to the 5v of USB and may push more power for faster charging (?) but requires more space in the iPhone to implement.

Vendors may make a an apdapter avail but unknown how much or how large it would be. Prob will be easier to buy a new charger or combo FM transmitter.

Would that apple, though, with devices that don't even use firewire, like a car charger?

Antj29

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2007
think this is the final straw, think the 3g is going back tomorrow. whats the point in me having a sound dock Bose i bought to use with my old iphone which now no longer charges it. It will just go flat all the time.

Another Apple Con!!! 3g is nice but i'm not replacing all my accessories.

bperkins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
GA
Forgive my ignorance......with the accessories that do not work with the current iPhone 3G, can this be fixed with a software update? Or is this a hardware issue that cannot be fixed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.