Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 16, 2008, 05:53 PM   #1
irvingdizzle
macrumors newbie

30GB iPod - Can't restore or reformat

I've been trying to restore my iPod but it just doesn't work. It has the "connect to your computer. Use itunes to restore" message. When i try to restore it does the whole restore thing and my ipod resets itself and shows up with the same message. When i try to reformat it under My Computer it just says after a while that it could not have been formatted. I've tried the diagnostic test and everything seems to be fine. Anyone been able to fix this? I've searched all day through google.
irvingdizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:35 PM   #2
meglet
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvingdizzle View Post
I've been trying to restore my iPod but it just doesn't work. It has the "connect to your computer. Use itunes to restore" message. When i try to restore it does the whole restore thing and my ipod resets itself and shows up with the same message. When i try to reformat it under My Computer it just says after a while that it could not have been formatted. I've tried the diagnostic test and everything seems to be fine. Anyone been able to fix this? I've searched all day through google.
Is it a 3rd or 4th Gen iPod that requires being plugged into an actual power adapter to complete the restore?

Do you have any network shares mapped to a drive letter in My Computer, that maybe the iPod is trying to use that same drive letter?

Have you tried resetting the iPod (hold down menu and play, I think, till it restarts) then plugging in and restoring through iTunes?

What version of iTunes are you using?
meglet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:42 PM   #3
irvingdizzle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Is it a 3rd or 4th Gen iPod that requires being plugged into an actual power adapter to complete the restore?
5th generation
Quote:
Do you have any network shares mapped to a drive letter in My Computer, that maybe the iPod is trying to use that same drive letter?
I have set the drive letter to Z so i don't think that's a problem.

Quote:
Have you tried resetting the iPod (hold down menu and play, I think, till it restarts) then plugging in and restoring through iTunes?
Yeah same thing happens

Quote:
What version of iTunes are you using?

I just tried using iPodWizard to try and see what i could do that and on the side it says "Found 1 iPod drives: Z: [Mac Formatted]"

That is the latest thing i have been able to figure out. This is an iPod given for free because they couldn't fix it. I've tried to format it for Windows but it doesn't work.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
meglet
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvingdizzle View Post
5th generation

I have set the drive letter to Z so i don't think that's a problem.

Yeah same thing happens

I just tried using iPodWizard to try and see what i could do that and on the side it says "Found 1 iPod drives: Z: [Mac Formatted]"

That is the latest thing i have been able to figure out. This is an iPod given for free because they couldn't fix it. I've tried to format it for Windows but it doesn't work.
You have set the iPod or network drive to Z? Or both?

Even though it's Mac formatted, iTunes for Windows should reformat it as part of the restore process. It sounds like iTunes isn't even getting that far, if the iPod Wizard still sees the drive as Mac formatted.

I have a Mac formatted iPod I can try with my Windows PC tonight to double-check, but it seems to me the last time I plugged a Mac iPod into a PC, I just clicked "Restore" (not "update) and it automatically reformatted.
meglet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:56 PM   #5
irvingdizzle
macrumors newbie

Only iPod is set to Z drive. Could the hard drive be dead? Or is it working fine since it still shows up okay under the test.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod