Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irvingdizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I've been trying to restore my iPod but it just doesn't work. It has the "connect to your computer. Use itunes to restore" message. When i try to restore it does the whole restore thing and my ipod resets itself and shows up with the same message. When i try to reformat it under My Computer it just says after a while that it could not have been formatted. I've tried the diagnostic test and everything seems to be fine. Anyone been able to fix this? I've searched all day through google. :confused:

meglet

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've been trying to restore my iPod but it just doesn't work. It has the "connect to your computer. Use itunes to restore" message. When i try to restore it does the whole restore thing and my ipod resets itself and shows up with the same message. When i try to reformat it under My Computer it just says after a while that it could not have been formatted. I've tried the diagnostic test and everything seems to be fine. Anyone been able to fix this? I've searched all day through google. :confused:

Is it a 3rd or 4th Gen iPod that requires being plugged into an actual power adapter to complete the restore?

Do you have any network shares mapped to a drive letter in My Computer, that maybe the iPod is trying to use that same drive letter?

Have you tried resetting the iPod (hold down menu and play, I think, till it restarts) then plugging in and restoring through iTunes?

What version of iTunes are you using?

irvingdizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Is it a 3rd or 4th Gen iPod that requires being plugged into an actual power adapter to complete the restore?

5th generation
Do you have any network shares mapped to a drive letter in My Computer, that maybe the iPod is trying to use that same drive letter?

I have set the drive letter to Z so i don't think that's a problem.

Have you tried resetting the iPod (hold down menu and play, I think, till it restarts) then plugging in and restoring through iTunes?
Yeah same thing happens

What version of iTunes are you using?

I just tried using iPodWizard to try and see what i could do that and on the side it says "Found 1 iPod drives: Z: [Mac Formatted]"

That is the latest thing i have been able to figure out. This is an iPod given for free because they couldn't fix it. I've tried to format it for Windows but it doesn't work.

meglet

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
5th generation

I have set the drive letter to Z so i don't think that's a problem.

Yeah same thing happens

I just tried using iPodWizard to try and see what i could do that and on the side it says "Found 1 iPod drives: Z: [Mac Formatted]"

That is the latest thing i have been able to figure out. This is an iPod given for free because they couldn't fix it. I've tried to format it for Windows but it doesn't work.

You have set the iPod or network drive to Z? Or both?

Even though it's Mac formatted, iTunes for Windows should reformat it as part of the restore process. It sounds like iTunes isn't even getting that far, if the iPod Wizard still sees the drive as Mac formatted.

I have a Mac formatted iPod I can try with my Windows PC tonight to double-check, but it seems to me the last time I plugged a Mac iPod into a PC, I just clicked "Restore" (not "update) and it automatically reformatted.

irvingdizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Only iPod is set to Z drive. Could the hard drive be dead? Or is it working fine since it still shows up okay under the test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.