Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I have an older version of iPhone, (not the 3G), : ) !!!

I was using the WeDict dictionary application and then suddenly the iphone blacked out.

I turned it back on but it hasn't allowed me to "slide to unlock". I have pressed several times the power and the menu buttons and it doesn't help me to solve this problem. The iphone turns itself back on but it doesn't allow me to "slide to unlock".

iTunes does not recognize the iPhone either.

I am not writing this thread without having previously looked at other posts. Some of them talk about resetting the phone but I don't know how. Hopefully, I won't loose the dictionary files I installed in previous days.

Thank you very much,

igmolinav.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
My iPhone had an issue where only the bottom 6th or so of the screen went dead. I couldn't slide to unlock anymore... you might be having a similar issue. Can you slide to shut the phone off?

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hey,

Thank you for your answer : ) !!!

No, it doesn't turn off with the power button. It is stuck. the only thing I was able to do was to press the power and menu button simultaneously. However, it doesn't help me much because it brings me back to the same place where I can't "slide to unlock".

Hopefully, it will have a solution soon.

Thank you,

igmolinav.

dangdang

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
Hello igmolinav,
Do you solve the problem? I also encountered the same issue. If you solve the issue, could you please tell me how to solve it? Thanks in advance.
My iphone is 1.1.4 fireware.
Cheers
dangdang

iPhil-br

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2009
My iPhone had an issue where only the bottom 6th or so of the screen went dead. I couldn't slide to unlock anymore... you might be having a similar issue. Can you slide to shut the phone off?

I have the same issue!
I can power it off. I can play songs by double-pressing the Home button and then controlling track play on the screen (play, pause, skip, etc).

But I cannot slide to unlock. How did you fix it???

I read somewhere else a guy had this and Apple replaced his iPhone. He was 3 days from expiring his warranty. I don't have the same luck, my warranty is dead and gone. Now what? Did you find a way to fix it?

Thanks for any help!!

iphone-sappu

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011

i hav the same dame issue!! did u find a solution???

Princelysum9

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Switch iot off and hols down the home button as you switch back on for ten seconds. it should reset.

iphone-sappu

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
Switch iot off and hols down the home button as you switch back on for ten seconds. it should reset.

no! i have rebooted a million times, i ever jailbroke my phone again, but the settings still stays right, and i cant even restore my iphone because i cant type in my passcode!! only half my screen s not working!! i can play music by double clickin home button and and use the top part of the screen to play/pause forward/rewind and even for volume!! even i can slid to power off! only from the bottom half were i need to type my passcode and slide to unlock dont respond! and its not freezed bcoz the movin light on the slidin part is still on! pls help, evn tho its a 2g!

Lerxst

Sep 8, 2011
I am on my 3rd iPhone 4, mine is not jailbroken. Running 4.3.5, I have done hard resets, restores from back ups and as new and nothing works, all 3 have exhibited "slide to unlock" and "slide to answer" issues.

If I get the iP5 after it's been out a while and it does this I gotta say no more iPhones for me, love the device HATE the issues.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.