Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
amitdoc2b
macrumors 6502a

RINGTONE on OLD iPHONE that I want to Put on NEW iPHONE

My iTunes no longer has the ringtone that I have on my older iPhone that I want to put on my new 3G iPhone. How do I get my old ringtone onto my new iPhone? Is there a way to transfer that ringtone from the old iPhone onto the computer and then put it back in iTunes? Thanks!
amitdoc2b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:08 PM   #2
bmms8
macrumors 68020

yes i believe you just have to sync it from your old phone to the computer then sync the ring tones to your new phone, good luck!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:11 PM   #3
amitdoc2b
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmms8 View Post
yes i believe you just have to sync it from your old phone to the computer then sync the ring tones to your new phone, good luck!
how do i do that? my itunes only shows that you can sync the new stuff into the old iphone. but i want to put the old iphone's ringtone into itunes.. im afraid to press sync because if i do it will modify it where all the new stuff is in the new phone and that means it will delete the ringtone i had in the old phone thats not in itunes right now. help with instructions please..
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:13 PM   #4
bmms8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdoc2b View Post
how do i do that? my itunes only shows that you can sync the new stuff into the old iphone. but i want to put the old iphone's ringtone into itunes.. im afraid to press sync because if i do it will modify it where all the new stuff is in the new phone and that means it will delete the ringtone i had in the old phone thats not in itunes right now. help with instructions please..
Sorry but in that case i am not to sure. Maybe someone else can help, sorry..
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:16 PM   #5
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdoc2b View Post
Okay.. I haven't played much with iTunes so I don't know if this is even possible, but it sounds simple. If you have another computer (or laptop) and assuming it's a PC:

1. install iTunes on the new computer.
2. sync your old iPhone to that new computer.
3. copy the ringtone from My Documents\Itunes\path\to\music to a USB drive or if you're old school, a floppy.
4. Walk USB thumbdrive or floppy over to old computer.
5. Import ringtone into iTunes.
6. sync new iPhone to iTunes.

Done.

BL.
bradl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:19 PM   #6
nickspohn
macrumors 68040

If your iPhone is jailbroken you can just SSH into the phone and put it back into iTunes.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:20 PM   #7
amitdoc2b
macrumors 6502a

I don't have another computer :-(

Also, under FILE in iTunes I found an option "transfer purchases from my iPhone" but it doesn't transfer that ringtone. And I cannot create a new one because that song I purchased on iTunes no longer allows you to make a ringtone out of it (but that option was available when I purchased the song originally, and I used that ringtone on my old iPhone).

The song is Busta Rhyme's "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and I used the beat from that song.. I used the last 21.5 seconds or so as my phone's ringtone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Okay.. I haven't played much with iTunes so I don't know if this is even possible, but it sounds simple. If you have another computer (or laptop) and assuming it's a PC:

1. install iTunes on the new computer.
2. sync your old iPhone to that new computer.
3. copy the ringtone from My Documents\Itunes\path\to\music to a USB drive or if you're old school, a floppy.
4. Walk USB thumbdrive or floppy over to old computer.
5. Import ringtone into iTunes.
6. sync new iPhone to iTunes.

Done.

BL.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone