Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
My iTunes no longer has the ringtone that I have on my older iPhone that I want to put on my new 3G iPhone. How do I get my old ringtone onto my new iPhone? Is there a way to transfer that ringtone from the old iPhone onto the computer and then put it back in iTunes? Thanks!

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
yes i believe you just have to sync it from your old phone to the computer then sync the ring tones to your new phone, good luck!

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
yes i believe you just have to sync it from your old phone to the computer then sync the ring tones to your new phone, good luck!

how do i do that? my itunes only shows that you can sync the new stuff into the old iphone. but i want to put the old iphone's ringtone into itunes.. im afraid to press sync because if i do it will modify it where all the new stuff is in the new phone and that means it will delete the ringtone i had in the old phone thats not in itunes right now. help with instructions please..

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
how do i do that? my itunes only shows that you can sync the new stuff into the old iphone. but i want to put the old iphone's ringtone into itunes.. im afraid to press sync because if i do it will modify it where all the new stuff is in the new phone and that means it will delete the ringtone i had in the old phone thats not in itunes right now. help with instructions please..

Sorry but in that case i am not to sure. Maybe someone else can help, sorry..

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Okay.. I haven't played much with iTunes so I don't know if this is even possible, but it sounds simple. If you have another computer (or laptop) and assuming it's a PC:

1. install iTunes on the new computer.
2. sync your old iPhone to that new computer.
3. copy the ringtone from My Documents\Itunes\path\to\music to a USB drive or if you're old school, a floppy.
4. Walk USB thumbdrive or floppy over to old computer.
5. Import ringtone into iTunes.
6. sync new iPhone to iTunes.

Done.

BL.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
If your iPhone is jailbroken you can just SSH into the phone and put it back into iTunes.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I don't have another computer :-(

Also, under FILE in iTunes I found an option "transfer purchases from my iPhone" but it doesn't transfer that ringtone. And I cannot create a new one because that song I purchased on iTunes no longer allows you to make a ringtone out of it (but that option was available when I purchased the song originally, and I used that ringtone on my old iPhone).

The song is Busta Rhyme's "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and I used the beat from that song.. I used the last 21.5 seconds or so as my phone's ringtone.

Okay.. I haven't played much with iTunes so I don't know if this is even possible, but it sounds simple. If you have another computer (or laptop) and assuming it's a PC:

1. install iTunes on the new computer.
2. sync your old iPhone to that new computer.
3. copy the ringtone from My Documents\Itunes\path\to\music to a USB drive or if you're old school, a floppy.
4. Walk USB thumbdrive or floppy over to old computer.
5. Import ringtone into iTunes.
6. sync new iPhone to iTunes.

Done.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.