Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
I have taken a folding sabbatical for the last 6 months, and I am blown away by the new blood and effort that you guys have been making....

Here is a quote of something I said in the middle of march this year...

I used to be the 4th fastest member based on rate. I have now fallen to 6th and I am about to fall to 8th! We now have 10 users producing more that 30 points a day! And the top 5 are all over 60!

Boy have things changed!!!

Keep up the unbelievable folding!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I know what you mean. I was producing around 16 points per day with two machines and three processors. Recently, it was over 100 points per day.

It's great how efficient the new core code is. :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
My Dual/1.42 has produced by its self 160 point days with this new core.

I think the Macs are fighting back. I wonder how well in comparison to a PC a Mac does now with the new cores. We use to be a long ways behind but I don't think so anymore.

Selecter

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2003
West Virginia
I'm on my little tiny backup machine, everything else is tore down.

My 1.8 Dual G5 is just a shade slower using the 3.25 client than my homemade AMD 3000+ @ 2.17 Ghz.....when I say a shade slower, I mean like the PC will do a step at 4 minutes, 35 secs Vs the G5 @ 4 minutes and 50 secs. I measured that on a p853 dimer WU.

but the G5 does it X2. :D

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
We are seriously interested in buying a XServer G5 to be our main server. If we get it, it will be another folding beast 24/7 for our Team! :) Still, when can we make a GUI app based on mc68k script? It would be awsome to have a easy to use and manage(Start/Stop CPU 0 or CPU1) little app to control Dual CPU's machines. Any developers out there?

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Plutronics
There is an excellent app called InCrease that does a nice job. The site for team 1971 has it here:
http://noahj.homeunix.com/cgi-bin/IB/ikonboard.cgi

the site has been having some temporary technical problems lately, so keep trying....
Oh ! here is the direct DL link:

http://calxalot.homeip.net/downloads/

Enjoy!!
Pluts

Thanks!! Will install it on my Duals! Will post a review very soon! Excelent app! Can we make one like that but make it "Macrumors Folding Team"?

stoid

macrumors 601
And now!

2 straight days with 21,000+ production!!

Have we warned the Knights that we will pass them without bringing the any shrubberies or cutting down large trees with herrings? Rather, we shall pass by repeatedly saying the word 'it' to them!

IT

IT

IT

IT!!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
We are seriously interested in buying a XServer G5 to be our main server. If we get it, it will be another folding beast 24/7 for our Team! :) Still, when can we make a GUI app based on mc68k script? It would be awsome to have a easy to use and manage(Start/Stop CPU 0 or CPU1) little app to control Dual CPU's machines. Any developers out there?

What do you need a GUI for the script for? What are you scared of the terminal?:p

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands

and see your progress/keeps your stats/WU you have done, etc!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
hmmm...doesn't a GUI app on an xserve kind of defeat the whole headless rack idea? you can't remotely control GUI apps besides opening and killing them.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
what are you guys talking about?

what is folding, how do i measure it, what does it mean, and why do you compare it?
thanks
Andreas

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Andreas, read the second forum of distibuted computing:
Sticky: Folding@Home FAQ

Briefly explained:
Folding@home is a small app that uses your idle computer time to simulate proteins. A lot of people have it running on their computer. For more info read the post mentioned above and check out the site of Stanford that is mentioned in the forum above for more info! After that start folding for team 3446!!

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by mc68k
hmmm...doesn't a GUI app on an xserve kind of defeat the whole headless rack idea? you can't remotely control GUI apps besides opening and killing them.

The GUI app isnt for a Xserve, but for new users that want to join and want a easy way to control folding@home, specially for Dual processor machines. I used your script a lot, but now im back to the client GUI and only using one CPU currently.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
The GUI app isnt for a Xserve, but for new users that want to join and want a easy way to control folding@home, specially for Dual processor machines. I used your script a lot, but now im back to the client GUI and only using one CPU currently.
I don't see why you would go back to GUI, it sucks up some CPU and uses some more RAM...

eh?

Tho a GUI controler for the scrip would be nice...
Click a button tells you how complete it is...
Click a button to pause folding/resume
Start/stop...
ect.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Did anyone notice that we are going faster and faster, especially the last couple of days (todays date 17 January 2004). Wath gives? I know, better source code, G5's, and more members. But this is since a couple of months. The increase is just too much, did someone installed F@H on a couple of computerlabs, is BigMac @ VirginiaTech helping us out? Or did I just do all the extra effort with my G3 B&W (don't think so!!)? BTW, with this speed, we can overtake the Knights on the rumored dates that the release of the new G5 and 20th anniversary Mac!! ;) Go Team 3446!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I don't know what the reason is for our speed increase. A month ago I would have said it was the new folding client but there is apparently a new one out and it's caused me to get insanely slow small work units. My production has dropped to a third of what it is because of this. So whoever is doing all the work good job.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by Dreadnought
, is BigMac @ VirginiaTech helping us out?

Ahhh, this makes sense, they are adding xServes to it... ;) Go Team! I have been crunching a little with two servers I am setting up for a client, but they only add up to 200 pts a day.... Our gain has been much higher!

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
We are nearly going to be red, only 5,000 points a day more...

I've just added 3ghz of CPU power to the team myself and persuaded my friend with 5ghz of CPU power to add all of his computers.

We should be around 15th place by April too...

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
more users = more computers = more production. Did'ja notice how many new folders have been added?

Welcome, and fold on. The knights need some serious taunting...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by jbeetz
more users = more computers = more production. Did'ja notice how many new folders have been added?

Welcome, and fold on. The knights need some serious taunting...

Indeed.

Folding is good.

Problem with taunting, if they could pull all of their members off SETI for 3 days and totally cremate us.

:rolleyes:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Riiiight, Macman. What's up with the negativity?

Their active users on both projects is about equal to ours on F@H. Cremate indeed...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
So I was looking at our new member list and it seems that we're getting dozens a day. So I have a question.

Who wrote the PC virus that takes over the computer and makes it fold for us?

Whoever it is good job on writing the first useful virus.

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
Oh yes, lets go and poke some fun at PC users.

If it was windows users I could understand but my linux boxen are providing most of my processing crunch - so don't group windows and linux users into the same boat ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.